Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2011, 03:28 AM   #46
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,824
I use jetboil very quick to heat and boil a cuppa, there fry pan heats evenly through the base if not on full throttle.
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #47
Steve_C
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
the best cuts are from the Ass of a drop bear
Better make sure it's damn dead before you try cutting a steak off it. I found one once, looked like fresh road kill. Reached down to pick it up ... saw the eyelid flicker.

Was just pure primal instinct that I lept backwards, just as it slashed out at me. I bloody ran back to the bike and took off. It chased me for about 300 metres till I got speed up. Had no idea they could run so fast.

Since then I've read on other forums that they play dead like that to catch hawks and crows that think they've got a free feed. I hate them, man.

EDIT: oh, I use a trangia. When I have space I use one of those cheap butane gas cookers from Bunnings.
old farts off-road
Earplugs & Mouthguards no one ever reads this stuff
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #48
Sundowner
Total Cahn

Oddometer: 3,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Sundowner, what is that bread? I need that recipe if it's easy enough to make from stuff you'd bring on a motorcycle.
It's a raisin (sun dried grapes) damper. Really great as an evening desert treat with honey or jam (fruit jelly).
This is from a PM I sent to another inmate - it's an easy bread to make with or without the camp oven. You could just cook your damper straight into the coals if you're not too fussed about eating the outside of the damper or use loosely wrapped aluminium foil if you want a good edible outer. Any dirt or sand will usually brush off anyway.
My prefered damper recipe is to mix a kilogram (about 2 and a bit pounds) of white Self Raising flour (wheat flour with bi-carbonate of soda/baking powder added) with a twenty cent piece sized heap of salt. Depending on what you're carrying, mix it into a soft dough with either just water or water and half a can of beer or half a litre (a bit under a pint) of UHT Milk and the remainder just water. I really like to throw in a handful of sultanas, raisins or mixed dried fruit, as I normally have it for supper and then toasted for breakfast the next few days. Whatever you do, wash your hands well first and have all the ingredients open, ready to go, as you'll be covered in dough up until when the dough is mixed right. I mix it in the camp oven pot until it's soft but not flakey or sticky - just a good clean, soft mix. Fold it many times, basically introducing air into the dough until it looks well mixed and good. I often tear it apart and reform it several times to do the same. This leaves a rough finish to the damper. Once mixed, throw a little bit of dry flour under the formed dough and a little on top then cook it on good coals top and bottom, with some sand over the coals to regulate the temperature/insulate the oven. I usually bake for about 3/4 of an hour at moderate heat. Don't ever bother if it's windy - the air fan forces the coals to too high a temperature - it'll just burn. If you haven't got a camp oven, you could wrap the dough loosely in a good amount of alfoil then just dig a hollow in your coals with a thick stick, drop it into the hollow and push coals and sand above it. I've done it without the oven or foil - just a slightly firmer dough, dusted with flour, straight into the hollow and covered in sand, ash and coals - good for out in the sandy desert areas. Doing it this way, you'd find it'll cook quicker but the result will be excellent. Just keep replenishing the coals regularly - keep topping up with more in either technique - don't scrape off the old coals. It's important with the camp oven technique to slowly bring the dough up to baking temperature - it'll give the dough time to grow and expand properly. Too high an initial camp oven temp and you'll burn it into a lump half the size it should turn out. Always cook it on the downwind side of the fire as well - the air temp stays more consistant. Tap the bottom of the cooked damper - if it sounds hollow when you tap it with your knuckles, it's ready to eat. If not, cook it a little longer.
Hope this helps you out. It's a great meal in it's own right. It'll make enough to keep you mobile for a couple of days. I usually wrap the cooked bread in a clean tea towel (kitchen washing up drying towel) and put it in the tank bag, so you can break a piece off when you get hungry.
Let me know if you need anything clarified (because of language differences ) - show your mates as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
nar thats just rd kill .... best to try to get it b4 she gets flyblown
the best cuts are from the Ass of a drop bear
It's often refered to as a Drooping Rump steak - ask your butcher to show you the cut straight off the beast. It's an education.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.

Sundowner screwed with this post 11-28-2011 at 06:30 AM Reason: Americanized as much as possible
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #49
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
I have a MSR Dragonfly.
Me too. It's good gear particulary if you like to get creative with your camp cooking & want something that will simmer well but have heaps of BTU's when required also. Being able to put the fuel bottle in the holder in the back of the Andystrapz means no fuel inside the pannier. I usually run mine on straight petrol, it goes pretty well on that.
It is a bit of dicking around assembling it & priming it, but even with all that you'll still get the billy boiled quicker than most canister stoves cos of the higher output (yes I have raced my mates )
Only downsides are that it is quite loud & fairly expensive.

I have also had a Coleman similar to above, it was real grunty but hard to get a low simmer out of. It would run on petrol but really preferred shellite.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #50
Tradey
RTW Traveller

Oddometer: 226
Gas

A lot of the real RTW guys prefer fuel stoves as in unleaded variety, some guys even run a tap off their fuel tank to fill the stove. I use an MSR WhisperLite and fit the fuel cell in a tool tube and it also acts as a 1 litre emergency fuel tank.

(That's stir-fry Moose whipped up in a you beaut Alaskan campground).
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #51
Reefdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
I also use a MSR Dragonfly,, expensive YES,noisy YES,,but they work everytime,,rain hail or shine,,
They are really good on fuel consumption,,I run mine on unleaded petrol..
The best thing about the dragonfly is it has a good flame adjustment from simmer to full heat

2 liters of water is boiled in under 4 minutes

Got the 800 ml bottle for it and have on the front of the pannier and is also backup fuel if need be..for bike
Dont pack stove with foodstuf because of the petrol smell

I cook and eat with the MSR The Quick 2 system

Reefdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #52
Crofty
Life's a Garden, DIG IT!

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradey View Post
A lot of the real RTW guys prefer fuel stoves
Who decides who the real blokes are?
1995 WR 250Z
Crofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #53
scrobs
Armchair Drifter

Oddometer: 272
I run a optimus stove, it burns anything just about and you can clean the jet by rubbing a magnet over it. Buy it overseas though, its dear as poison here.

http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/op.../optimus-nova/
scrobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #54
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crofty View Post
Who decides who the real blokes are?
Nielsen Media Research Australia.

woopwoop screwed with this post 11-28-2011 at 10:46 PM
woopwoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #55
Doctor
Keyboard Renagade

Oddometer: 8,100
just two of my "coupla" stoves i have

jetboil wins for speed and convenience, specially now i have the JB fry pan

'must be the 'ooooohhhhhmmmmm' factor kicking in'
Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #56
wotafm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno_where View Post
If your on a real adventure, should time be a something you leave behind you? No schedules? No dates? Just ride?

Or is that retirement?

> > > > > > >

Ok alot of you have specified the Trangia. Someone mentioned the simplicitiy of the unit. No moving parts. Nothing to break. I've been looking at this setup from Trangia:

I think they call it the 27-8 Set. The best thing i like about it is that all this fits inside one another to make a compact cooking setup.

QUESTION: Can the unit only run on metho/alcho or can it take something like Shellite or if need be, petrol?

I've seen a CO2 canister blow the arse out of a soft pannier on a bike. (I think Philth has a picture of Marky Marks experience) So I can just imagine something like the a Coleman cooker or Butane blowing the arse end of the bike off if the same happens. Gas cookers are definatley out for me.
that looks like the set i use you cannot go wrong with it. to answer your question the orignal burner can only use metho to use other fuels you need to get a gas attachment or a optimus nova or nova+ and get a adaptor from trangia to fit the multi fuel stove e.g petrol,diesel,shellite
wotafm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:00 AM   #57
dunno_where OP
130km open roads!

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by wotafm View Post
that looks like the set i use you cannot go wrong with it. to answer your question the orignal burner can only use metho to use other fuels you need to get a gas attachment or a optimus nova or nova+ and get a adaptor from trangia to fit the multi fuel stove e.g petrol,diesel,shellite
To get a full set like this is about $110 AUD on average. Can't go wrong with metho, its cheap, its clean, its available in 99% of places you travel nation or international, and if you are desperate for a drink just mix it with some OJ or filter it with bread.

2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS Sport-Tourer
dunno_where is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:04 AM   #58
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,102
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237723
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:50 AM   #59
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,834
more pics please guys

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:10 AM   #60
MickB72
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I have been using my Trangia with the multifuel X2 on my trip around OZ.

Thoughts,
It has worked perfectly for me in all sorts of weather.
Gas is more convenient than shellite.
It makes a great omelet.
For steaks, the frying pan is too far away from the burner.
For baked beans, the saucepan is to close to the burner.
All up it was about $500, $200 for the trangia set, + $300 for the multifuel X2.
I haven't ended up using it much more than for boiling water.
For as often as I used it to cook a meal I probably should have just taken a jetboil.
MickB72 is offline   Reply With Quote