User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 01:02 AM   #61
Tradey
RTW Traveller

Oddometer: 168
Rtw

Adam Lewis is a real RTW rider and he uses his fuel stove nearly every day... of the past 5 years !

Photo #3

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...51&postcount=8

(and he wouldn't be seen dead on another BMW...)
Old 11-29-2011, 02:27 AM   #62
dunno_where OP
130km open roads!

Oddometer: 273
So most of you use Trangia varients.

Any of you use the Hexamine for primary cooking. Very Simple. Very light. Thoughts?

"Motorycles are just like guns. It all depends on how we use them, that we justify their existance in our shed." - Unknown
dunno_where is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:37 AM   #63
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,264
I've started carrying one of the cheap hexamine stoves for making a morning cuppa if the fire's dead and I don't want to stoke it into life again. Usually 2 cubes, one after the other, will get a mug of water close to boiling good enough for a black tea. Cheap and clean enough to go in the tank bag. The tablets light easy enough and could probably be used as fire lighters with damp wood.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:41 AM   #64
dunno_where OP
130km open roads!

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I've started carrying one of the cheap hexamine stoves for making a morning cuppa if the fire's dead and I don't want to stoke it into life again. Usually 2 cubes, one after the other, will get a mug of water close to boiling good enough for a black tea. Cheap and clean enough to go in the tank bag. The tablets light easy enough and could probably be used as fire lighters with damp wood.
Interesting points there. Thanks. I think just having one handy isn't a bad thing.

"Motorycles are just like guns. It all depends on how we use them, that we justify their existance in our shed." - Unknown
dunno_where is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:48 AM   #65
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 3,946
i use the same stove .. my son used it whilst he was in the Ariforce cadets .... there really good .. 2 bricks will heat up a tin of whateva ,i have a lil ally pan that sits on top can boil water in it or heat up your food ...the lil bricks are excellent fire starters ... i just chuck it all in a zippy bag and in the paniers with all my other crap

tho im gunna get a lil primus thing with lil gas cans .... still take the lil stove along as well as its so small it wont mater

only draw back is if ya lil bricks get wet ya in the shit .... or they turn to powder coz ya didnt pack em secure enough ,,,
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:25 AM   #66
OBR650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradey View Post
A lot of the real RTW guys prefer fuel stoves as in unleaded variety, some guys even run a tap off their fuel tank to fill the stove. I use an MSR WhisperLite and fit the fuel cell in a tool tube and it also acts as a 1 litre emergency fuel tank.

(That's stir-fry Moose whipped up in a you beaut Alaskan campground).
+1 on the MSR stuff, have had a Whisperlite for 5 or 6 years now with no problems, its small, light and heats things up much faster than Trangia type stoves. I prefer to use Shellite in mine as it burns clean and is readily available from supermarkets etc, but will also run on petrol and no need to worry about gas canisters.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #67
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno_where View Post
So most of you use Trangia varients.

Any of you use the Hexamine for primary cooking. Very Simple. Very light. Thoughts?

I use to use an ezbit for years as a kid and teen ager when bushwalking camping, great for eggs, 2 minute noodles etc. I carry one in my car as an emergency stove in a small tin with a few packets of 2 minute noodles and meal in a can, along with matches, water, blankets, first aid kits etc, you do these things when you live in the bush.
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #68
stormsearcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
jetboil

cofee is important while riding.
jetboil is the go for me. press a switch and its on a minute or two to boil water..early mornings/cold/windy/wet it will work. quick as well.
boil water,use a bowl to make up a meal of cous cous-various kinds are available. also cous cous absorbs water-250mls every meal -hydration.dehydated meals can be made in a jiffy. coffe bags/ milk powder and i am done
in the desert camp fire cooks anything.a small mug is all i need.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #69
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 1,932
MSR Dragonfly and XGK are noisy, very good stoves and take heaps of abuse. The XGK was designed for high altitude use so no reason to have one in Australia, too noisy and heavier than the other MSR stoves. It is multifuel, but so is the Whisperlite International which is quieter and lighter.

All the other MSR stoves are equally good but not noisy.

Miss Jane screwed with this post 11-29-2011 at 01:25 PM
Miss Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #70
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Jane View Post
MSR Dragonfly and XGK are noisy, very good stoves and take heaps of abuse. The XGK was designed for high altitude use so no reason to have one in Australia, too noisy and heavier than the other MSR stoves. It is multifuel, but so is the Whisperlite International which is quieter and lighter.

All the other MSR stoves are equally good but not noisy.
Well said. I reckon the Dragonfly burns straight petrol better than the Whisperlite though, they are a different type of burner. My mates with Whisperlites mostly seem to use shellite when they can whereas I run mine on whatever the bike is getting. If I'm hiking & I'm going to be using it inside huts I'll get shellite as it's a little less smoky while priming.

A friend was reading some new online adv bike magazine type site recently & they did a review of the MSR Dragonfly, they gave it a glowing writeup but totally neglected to mention how rowdy it is compared with other cookers... FAIL.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #71
trailcutter

Oddometer: 178
go the trangia retro fit gas burner.............turns the stoker stove kit into a killer stove ,,, just pak ya gas cans on the exhaust side pannier when heading to the high plains...............

Name:  742527(1)kkk.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  5.9 KB
Old 11-30-2011, 12:45 AM   #72
OBR650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
Well said. I reckon the Dragonfly burns straight petrol better than the Whisperlite though, they are a different type of burner. My mates with Whisperlites mostly seem to use shellite when they can whereas I run mine on whatever the bike is getting. If I'm hiking & I'm going to be using it inside huts I'll get shellite as it's a little less smoky while priming.

A friend was reading some new online adv bike magazine type site recently & they did a review of the MSR Dragonfly, they gave it a glowing writeup but totally neglected to mention how rowdy it is compared with other cookers... FAIL.

Cheers
Clint
Just curious, does it really matter how noisey your stove is, especially when there's no one around. I've never had the EPA turn up and confiscate my stove.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:15 AM   #73
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 1,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBR650 View Post
Just curious, does it really matter how noisey your stove is, especially when there's no one around. I've never had the EPA turn up and confiscate my stove.
Depends on the individual, but they are loud. You have to speak up to be heard over them and I find by the end of cooking I'm glad to turn the thing off.

Yeah shellite is the fuel of choice for MSR's, burns cleaner therefore minimal maintenance - as in nearly none. Coleman fuel is very similar to shellite but a bit more refined I think, so it works also.
Miss Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #74
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,445
I'm thinking of getting one of these petrol stoves.

http://www.sotooutdoors.com/products/item/OD-1NP.html

New design which doesn't rely on the pre-heating and instead uses a FI principle which burns much cleaner leaving next to no residue. Also packs up small enough to fit in most small diameter pots.

tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #75
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,503
no stove required
its got a liitle self heating thingy in it
just needs half a cup of water, activate the heating thingy
wait 10 minutes and eat it out of the bag
the heating thingy holds its heat for around 4 hours afterwards and can be used to dry your boots
i think tt aust should be flogging them soon for around 15 bucks
i ate this one and it was not too bad
Attached Images