viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #92
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by viz View Post
Wonder if this would fit inside a Triangia...??

viz
As in those big pots? I would hope so. I'm planning to fit it in a pinnacle soloist which should fit. Usually the hose fitting sticks out to much to pack anywhere good. But this one wraps right around.

tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #93
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,486
I found some clearer photo's of the SilverGlo camp oven kit while looking for photo's for another thread. I thought I'd add them here, as the other photo's have been quoted in other replies already so I won't change them. Anyway, here it is all scrubbed up, ready to travel.

The SS mug and bent spoon (used for stiring the food, but also works as the main eating iron. It's bent to fit inside the pot in the space left around the mug - works really well. There's a folding titanium spork and folding titanium bread knife in there as well usually), along with an army can opener, fire flint, box of matches, small bottle of washing up detergent, stainless wool pot scourer, two cotton tea towels and a matchbox sized container of salt (for the morning porridge/evening damper). Along with a Gerber folding "Bear Grylls" knife and the hexi stove, that's my complete camp kitchen setup. Any spare space in the camp oven is taken up with a box of tea bags, cuppa-soup packets and tube of condensed milk.

You can see the handles built into each piece. Nothing more than a stick is needed to move it around. I've been carrying around one of those trangia pot handle things but never used or needed it, so it'll probably get ditched soon.

With the lid on, everything locks together and there are no sharp edges, so the whole thing travels in a lightweight nylon sleeping bag compression bag. I'll sew up a proper canvas draw-string cover for it one day.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.

Sundowner screwed with this post 12-02-2011 at 09:13 PM
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #94
Uncle Crumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
i beg to disagree
i have lived on dehydrated meals for up to 8 days at a time and my stools were works of art
couldnt find any clay hey, must be a bugger being a frustrated potter.
Ducati 907ie.83 TT600 KTM 640 Adventure
Etz 250 Guzzi Quota 1000
Uncle Crumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #95
wotafm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRob View Post
trangia now make a multifuel burner
this looks like a good alternative to using the optimus like you had to before. but you have to change jets messy
wotafm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #96
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,349
Sundowner I found silverglo

After calling Silverglo in Melbourne and being told that they don't stock the set up that you have in stock, I tried their internet website and it seems that they do have some left. It was a special order for the army. They cost $110 plus GST and postage. I am waiting for a final price, but I think I will purchase a set. It looks like a good bit of kit and versatile with cooking options (Fry,boil, bake).
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #97
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBR650 View Post
+1 on the MSR stuff, have had a Whisperlite for 5 or 6 years now with no problems, its small, light and heats things up much faster than Trangia type stoves. I prefer to use Shellite in mine as it burns clean and is readily available from supermarkets etc, but will also run on petrol and no need to worry about gas canisters.
I have Coleman but my old man has a whisperlite that would have to be 25 + years (he is meticulous) but it has been used near weekly in 13 years in PNG with regular servicing and it still unleashes a krakatoa blast as good as the day he bought it.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #98
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,486
That's interesting the Army ordered them (and I found one on Ebay - Somebody was quick in converting their issued kit to beer tickets). I hope you can get a set for a great price. You won't regret buying it. Good gear never comes cheap.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #99
Doctor
Banned

Oddometer: 7,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Good gear never comes cheap.
dead right but it does not guarantee where it is made
i bought a cobb cooker as you all know , beauty i thought a bit of Seth Effrica finest i payed top dollar at bcf , to be told by the counter flipper taht cobb never goes on sale then last week the dogalog came and the farking thing is $40 off, i'm still calling him names
anyway back on "topic" i rolled the cobb over to have a look and the bloody thing is made in china.
Seth Effrica has millions of unemployed and they send this off shore
Moral, you pay top bucks and it still comes from farking china
Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #100
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,444
I always check out what everyone else is eating. I hang around for any leftovers I hate seeing good food go to waste - If that dont work I always take a couple of back up tins of fruit or big breakfast. I usually take one little ally pot (doubles as a piss pot - Ive never been successful at pointing my eye into a stubbie [blowback] cans are dangerous - classy eh!) a butane canister and a screw in cheapo coleman thing. A zip lock glad bag with teabags and sugar in it - nick the sugar from cofeeshop. Only rarely do I regret taking a big pot (yabbies) or a pan (fish).

Having a knife and fork is better than eating with tyre levers.

I'll bring stew or curry ingredients if its a proper cooking competition. This thread is cooking gear competition - I lose.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #101
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,444
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtWanabe View Post
I use a Trangia. The small one is a good size for one to two people. Simering with the metho stove can be tricky but you get used to it ok. Tried the gas and multi fuel add ons (Optimus nova+) but the metho burner is just so simple and effective.

I've cooked all sorts of things on the Trangia, made some chicken with chilli & basil from scratch at the Trout rally and I've done Fettecini bosciola at the TTT a couple of years back.

Your food is so much better than two minute noodles when your camping.

Cheers, Dave.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #102
Phrog
Terra Australis

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
I usually take one little ally pot (doubles as a piss pot - Ive never been successful at pointing my eye into a stubbie [blowback] cans are dangerous - classy eh!) ......A zip lock glad bag with teabags and sugar in it - nick the sugar from cofeeshop.
Remind me if we ever meet on the road NEVER to except a cuppa off you

Poverty is the mother of invention.
Phrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #103
OzRob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
I always check out what everyone else is eating. I hang around for any leftovers I hate seeing good food go to waste - If that dont work I always take a couple of back up tins of fruit or big breakfast. I usually take one little ally pot (doubles as a piss pot - Ive never been successful at pointing my eye into a stubbie [blowback] cans are dangerous - classy eh!) a butane canister and a screw in cheapo coleman thing. A zip lock glad bag with teabags and sugar in it - nick the sugar from cofeeshop. Only rarely do I regret taking a big pot (yabbies) or a pan (fish).

Having a knife and fork is better than eating with tyre levers.

I'll bring stew or curry ingredients if its a proper cooking competition. This thread is cooking gear competition - I lose.
Davo.....I worry about you....+2
OzRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #104
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRob View Post
Davo.....I worry about you....+2
Im aa thinkin your all thinking toliterally

maybe he means wine glass??

or I could be wrong

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:08 AM   #105
AUSSIEADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
I've been using butane burners for well over a decade without issues. Fast, convenient, packs well, works regardless of the conditions (work fine at the Alpine rally!) Some gas bottles work better than others in cold weather, so I carry one of those heat packs with the clicker in them that can be reset by boiling if any issues are experienced. The small burner for coffee pot and billy's and the larger one for toaster and frypan.

Those MSR types with the remote fuel canisters look the goods though.

Has been interesting seeing and reeding about the different systems available.

AUSSIEADV is offline   Reply With Quote