Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #16
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
Sucking heat out of the combustion chamber by vaporizing water might not increase power in and of itself because by reducing heat you reduce pressure in the combustion chamber. But if it lets you cram more fuel and air in their and squish it up tighter before you light it off then there could be more power to be had. If there were power from the water itself then we could all get a lot better mpg in our cages with water injection. Maybe we could, but I doubt it.

don't turbo guys use a water-alcohol or straight methanol mixture? I'm pretty sure straight water isn't the typical way to go.

I believe the water/emergency power thing on WWII aircraft was accompanied by more fuel, more rpm and more boost, but I could be wrong.

It seems like it would work well on hot running air cooled motos. I've also pondered adding a methonal or water/al setup to my buell.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #17
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,757
It's used to control detonation, which enables power production. It's not actually "adding power".

Had an old Luftmeister trubo unit that fearured an alcholol ingestion reservoir for the exact same purpose. (i think someone added photos of the Lufty set-up a few posts back?) Alcohol however, probably adds to the burn and power in addition to controlling detonation.

As I understand it.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
I've also pondered adding a methonal or water/al setup to my buell.
Modern engine management of FI and ignition, in co-ordination with anti-knock sensors, have made it a little more redundant.

Be interesting to see if they could work together?

Old 11-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #19
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,279
i bought a add on kit from a friend ran on a 4 barrel 327 chev, he had good results with it, I cant remember the details ( CR/octane etc) I gave the kit to another friend who has a '66 vette, sold mine , I never installed it, but it was very simple.

those old Rolls merlin WWII engines were pretty cool, I worked on an unlimited hydroplane early 70's, ( 15 yr old oil line boy, when changing engines, i crawled inside and connected the oil lines, slimly job) the boats owner Bob Gilliam had a shit load of those still in NOS surplus crates laying about his nick name "bothell junk man " was accurate, man, 427 ford side oilers laying in the dirt, its now a high tech campus, if I only had the brains to buy some of that "junk"
Old 11-29-2011, 06:10 AM   #20
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
It's used to control detonation, which enables power production. It's not actually "adding power".

Had an old Luftmeister trubo unit that fearured an alcholol ingestion reservoir for the exact same purpose. (i think someone added photos of the Lufty set-up a few posts back?) Alcohol however, probably adds to the burn and power in addition to controlling detonation.

As I understand it.
With the meth set up on my Subaru, I am able to run 7-9 degs more timing at 27 lbs of boost pressure, without it I am limited to 21 lbs, and have to taper off to 17 lbs near red line, adding bunches of fuel to keep knocking in check. It works well when tuned for it.
crampfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:24 AM   #21
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by crampfan View Post
With the meth set up on my Subaru, I am able to run 7-9 degs more timing at 27 lbs of boost pressure, without it I am limited to 21 lbs, and have to taper off to 17 lbs near red line, adding bunches of fuel to keep knocking in check. It works well when tuned for it.
Sounds a little more sophisticated than anything we've seen around here.

Does 27lbs of boost pressure assume 0 for atmosphere or do you begin counting at 14.7lbs?

Old 11-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #22
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,385
Quote:

Does 27lbs of boost pressure assume 0 for atmosphere or do you begin counting at 14.7lbs?

In my experience, boost is gauge pressure, not absolute.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #23
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,235
Quote:

0 on the gauge is atmospheric pressure at sea level
crampfan is offline   Reply With Quote