User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
MoodyGS OP
Going round the bend

Oddometer: 129
Oil leak

2012 Triple Black, r1200gs, just shy of 6k.
Noticed that the oil consumption was not decreasing as I broke in the engine, if any thing it was increasing...hmmmm
Went to do the 6k service myself and noticed a slow oil leak that was collecting in the bash plate (none on the garage floor). The increasing oil consumption now made sense. Tracing the source with a flash light my buddy and I sourced it to where the engine and gearbox join (took pictures but they were not ledgable due the space being tight).
Straight to the BMW dealer where I purchased the bike. They kept it for a day and initially said that a bolt was torqued a quarter turn shy of spec. After road testing they said that had not cured the leak.
They suspect the "rear main seal" or "balancer shaft seal". Either way they said they would have the bike in the shop a minimum of a week and a half, waiting for parts and doing the work (6.5 - 7 hour job), thank goodness it's all covered by the BMW warranty.
Is one and a half week wait for parts normal? Are these seals common for failing?
Argggggg
Stephen
MoodyGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyGS View Post
Noticed that the oil consumption was not decreasing as I broke in the engine, if any thing it was increasing...hmmmm
Went to do the 6k service myself and noticed a slow oil leak that was collecting in the bash plate (none on the garage floor). The increasing oil consumption now made sense. Tracing the source with a flash light my buddy and I sourced it to where the engine and gearbox join (took pictures but they were not ledgable due the space being tight).
Straight to the BMW dealer where I purchased the bike. They kept it for a day and initially said that a bolt was torqued a quarter turn shy of spec. After road testing they said that had not cured the leak.
They suspect the "rear main seal" or "balancer shaft seal". Either way they said they would have the bike in the shop a minimum of a week and a half, waiting for parts and doing the work (6.5 - 7 hour job), thank goodness it's all covered by the BMW warranty.
Is one and a half week wait for parts normal? Are these seals common for failing?
Argggggg
Stephen
It doesn't sound like you would notice oil consumption with a leak that doesn't drip on the floor. A common leak by the way.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
200GRLSWC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
A common leak by the way.
Indeed, had it on my '05 GS. Also thankfully repaired under warranty.
200GRLSWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,327
I had the same problem on my '11 GSA. I think they had it 3 days. I've ad to wait a week or more for other parts when they came from the motherland. Not sure why dealers don't stock more parts for the most popular bike BMW sells.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
MoodyGS OP
Going round the bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
It doesn't sound like you would notice oil consumption with a leak that doesn't drip on the floor. A common leak by the way.
I figured that the leak was slow, dripping onto the bash plate pan and as I rode the wind would blow it out, hence no oil on the garage floor.
The dealership "highly recommended" that I not take the bike back and ride it because there was a chance that the leak could get on the clutch and create a riding safety issue.
Bummer because this is my main source of transportation, no loaners available for extended periods beyond a day.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
MoodyGS OP
Going round the bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200GRLSWC View Post
Indeed, had it on my '05 GS. Also thankfully repaired under warranty.
Was yours a "rear main seal" or a "balance shaft seal"?

is this common for a 6k bike, this first my first BMW, my last bike was a 1999 Honda VFR 800 & it was a sewing machine.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
MoodyGS OP
Going round the bend

[QUOTE=Hikertrash;21624387]I had the same problem on my '11 GSA. I think they had it 3 days. I've ad to wait a week or more for other parts when they came from the motherland. Not sure why dealers don't stock more parts for the most popular bike BMW sells.[/QUOTE

"Rear main seal" or a "balance shaft seal"?
Thank you all for your swift responses, this site is the dogs!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,327
[QUOTE=MoodyGS;21624755]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
I had the same problem on my '11 GSA. I think they had it 3 days. I've ad to wait a week or more for other parts when they came from the motherland. Not sure why dealers don't stock more parts for the most popular bike BMW sells.[/QUOTE

"Rear main seal" or a "balance shaft seal"?
Thank you all for your swift responses, this site is the dogs!
Mine was rear main seal.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
MoodyGS OP
Going round the bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyGS View Post
Argggggg
Stephen
Got my bike back today one week AHEAD of forecast
BMW Ventura torqued down a bolt at the rear of the engine, however the leak did not go away.
Next job was to tear down the bike. The culprit "defective rear main seal" which was replaced under warranty
After 6.5 hours of work all is well. I can now finish what i started the 6K service. Siera Nevada in hand of course.
Thanks all.