Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
Fancywoo OP
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 72
Wet-Head Steering Stop Mis-Alignment

Hello,

Many of us have bikes with mal-aligned steering stops. Our bars turn further to the left than right.

I am starting this thread so that we can share what we know and share any forthcoming solutions offered by BMW. We can subscribe and get news right away.

Things that I know so far:

Most of the bikes with the problem were made between the 20 and 28th of March, 2013 (one was made 26th February). (find your manufacture date here: http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html)

The problem is there is a tab welded to the frame which contacts the inside of the 'triple-clamp', and that tab is in the wrong place.

here is a photo of the tab:

Here is how it looks from the bars:

I also have a Facebook group that you could join. If you subscribe to this thread you may not need to, as I would cross post any news, but if you like being tracked and sold, like I evidently do, then stop on by and join!

2013 BMW R1200GS Steering stop problems

I don't want a pickle...

Fancywoo screwed with this post 11-25-2013 at 02:20 PM
Fancywoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 930
Fancywoo.. (nice name BTW)
Does it affect the handling of the bike? Just curious....
of course, with a $20K machine, I would want mine to be right as well. Thanks
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Fancywoo OP
I don't wana pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Fancywoo.. (nice name BTW)
Does it affect the handling of the bike? Just curious....
of course, with a $20K machine, I would want mine to be right as well. Thanks
There is no change to the handling at all. There are some that disagree but they are wrong (ducks...)

Correction: it doesn't affect anything unless you are maneuvering at full lock. One rider washed out his front end at parking lot speed turning left, or the 'tighter' side. He is bitter.

The problem is caused by a tab that doesn't touch anything unless you are at full lock...

Paul

I don't want a pickle...
Old 11-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 53,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancywoo View Post
There is no change to the handling at all. There are some that disagree but they are wrong (ducks...)

Correction: it doesn't affect anything unless you are maneuvering at full lock. One rider washed out his front end at parking lot speed turning left, or the 'tighter' side. He is bitter.

The problem is caused by a tab that doesn't touch anything unless you are at full lock...

Paul
An extra couple of degrees of turn will not cause the bike to wash out. That is like blaming the hammer for smashing the screw!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,624
some people can ruin a free lunch
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
Fancywoo OP
I don't wana pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
An extra couple of degrees of turn will not cause the bike to wash out. That is like blaming the hammer for smashing the screw!

Jim
I politely reserve judgement.

Paul

From Canada.

Oh look--a moose!

I don't want a pickle...
Old 11-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,344
I'm anal, and I can honestly say that I went out and checked my bike for this anomaly, it checked good.
Even if it had the issue in which it was able to turn-in slightly more to the left, I doubt that I would lift a finger to address it.

It's basically a non-issue and should pose no problems when riding as pointed out above.
Riding a motorcycle requires a certain amount of common sense and skill, just because the stop allows for a very tight turn doesn't mean that you should. As your speed increases you will move the bars less and less to make directional changes (obviously), just because you're at parking lot speeds doesn't mean that it is wise to forget what you know and hit the steering stops, I rarely (if ever) find myself bouncing off the stops while riding.

Now if there is also some associated steering or frame geometry issues that go along with this then that's a whole other story.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 930
Yeah. That wouldn't bother me. Repairing would mean tearing the entire bike apart for an extra 10 mm of full lock that you would likely never use. I would be more upset trusting a dealer to put my entire bike back together.
I honestly wouldn't give a shit.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 18,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I'm anal, and I can honestly say that I went out and checked my bike for this anomaly, it checked good.
Even if it had the issue in which it was able to turn-in slightly more to the left, I doubt that I would lift a finger to address it.

It's basically a non-issue and should pose no problems when riding as pointed out above.
Riding a motorcycle requires a certain amount of common sense and skill, just because the stop allows for a very tight turn doesn't mean that you should. As your speed increases you will move the bars less and less to make directional changes (obviously), just because you're at parking lot speeds doesn't mean that it is wise to forget what you know and hit the steering stops, I rarely (if ever) find myself bouncing off the stops while riding.

Now if there is also some associated steering or frame geometry issues that go along with this then that's a whole other story.
I had to check mine, too. Turned the bars back and forth a number of times while standing on the pegs looking down. Finally decided that if they were off, it was so close visually that I couldn't see it. January 8 build date.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I had to check mine, too. Turned the bars back and forth a number of times while standing on the pegs looking down. Finally decided that if they were off, it was so close visually that I couldn't see it. January 8 build date.
Same test with my Jan 3 build GSW. Too close to call, therefore a non issue in my case.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
Fancywoo OP
I don't wana pickle

You're all right, there is virtually no reason to fix it, at least as far as road safety.

1) Rox risers cant be forward past a point, as you yank brake lines. With my SW Motech 40mm's the one side is pulling pretty hard on them, but I feel like it isn't causing damage. Being a tall guy this could easily be an issue.

2) I would want to tell anyone who I sell the bike to that the issue exists, and I feel like that person would want a discount, or would buy another bike on the market. Would you buy mine if there was an identical bike without the issue?

Thats all I came up with but its enough. I am looking forward to getting this resolved.

Paul

I don't want a pickle...
Old 11-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancywoo View Post

1) Rox risers cant be forward past a point, as you yank brake lines. With my SW Motech 40mm's the one side is pulling pretty hard on them, but I feel like it isn't causing damage. Being a tall guy this could easily be an issue.
Paul
Have you moved the line behind the fork tube?

I have done this many times, and on the Wethead, and it alleviates the stress.

Jim
Old 11-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
ironklad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
My concern is more with the fact that when I tried tilting my adjustable Rox risers forward my right hand protector hits the wind screen. In a drop that could cause problems. I currently have them angled back toward me which works for now. But for extended standing off road I suspect the optimal position is angled forward. I just got the risers and have to spend more time getting used to them. I haven't yet noticed a problem with the left hand protector in the adjustments I have tried, should a retrofit steering stop be introduced I suspect it may resolve the issue. I'll swing by your place Jim as soon as this abysmal weather clears up, and maybe I need some heated gloves... it is getting cold out there but I want to ride.
ironklad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironklad View Post
My concern is more with the fact that when I tried tilting my adjustable Rox risers forward my right hand protector hits the wind screen. In a drop that could cause problems. I currently have them angled back toward me which works for now. But for extended standing off road I suspect the optimal position is angled forward. I just got the risers and have to spend more time getting used to them. I haven't yet noticed a problem with the left hand protector in the adjustments I have tried, should a retrofit steering stop be introduced I suspect it may resolve the issue. I'll swing by your place Jim as soon as this abysmal weather clears up, and maybe I need some heated gloves... it is getting cold out there but I want to ride.
Any time Ryan, just let me know.

Jim
Old 12-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
Fancywoo OP
I don't wana pickle

Resolution? I am bringing my bike in to the dealer soon

Hello all.

So after going in one more time and suggesting I have had enough, as far as waiting goes, my dealer wants my bike in the shop and will be ordering a frame. I am not sure why they need the unit there to order the frame, but I am happy enough with the situation. I live in the frozen polar north (well Edmonton, if you know it) so not having my bike for 60-90 days doesn't bother me right now. They are going to pick it up no charge (as is right).

Interesting to consider that there is a the added step of having to stamp a blank frame with the correct serial number. Not rocket science but I had not thought of that.

So there! I share the concerns above: I know the idiot putting my bike together after shipping didn't torque the pinch bolts on the forks and they came undone after a bit. Hope they do a good job putting the whole thing back together this time. Theres only maybe 50 times more they can screw up.

Paul

I don't want a pickle...