User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
tennessee thumper OP
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 617
93 R100PD Big Bend Trip

Just returned from roughly a 3000 mile trip from Arkansas to Big Bend National Park and back. Bike performed nearly flawlessly. Only "issue" was my front tire went flat one cold night after dropping it to 25lbs for backcountry riding. Slime portable air pump fixed that in a jiffy. Speedometer needle starting getting a little worbly and the heated grips seem to have died.

I had just installed a set of Heidi Scouts, front and rear, before the trip so total miles on those now is close to 4000. The front had a heavy spot in it that I could not balance out with Dyna Beads. A slow worrble under 45 mph. No biggie though.
They have held up much better than expected and seemed to wear better on the rear than the new set of Tourance my buddy had on his R100GS. Tread life is still well over half. I will be buying these tires again.

In Big Bend we stayed at the Glen Springs Camp Site on night one and Solis( on the Rio Grande) the second night. Rode about 50 miles off road and found the roads to be fun and challenging. Only did a bit of the post 4 Wheel Drive only roads as I wanted to get the bike out in one piece. Had a 30 mile beer run that took over two hours in the back country. Well worth it though as we scored a case of Fosters Oil Cans.

Also had a few days in Leakey, TX home of the Three Sisters roads. Nice area to ride with lots of m/c friendly cabins available. TOO MANY DEER though. The whole area around the Three Sisters is a series of private game/hunting reserves. How ironic that some of the best m/c road in TX are over run with deer and other game animals. Only saving grace is some areas do have 12 ft fencing. It only eases the mind slightly.

Recommend this trip to anyone out there with a dual sport, large or small. Late November the weather was PERFECT, especially in Big Bend.

Some pics, Cheers.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,766
I spent a bit more than a week down there last February. Fantastic place to visit especially if you're from "back east" like me in Tn. Camped at Rio Grande Village campground, they had the best mix of amenities for me.

Looks like you had fun, did you ride the old ore rd ?

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
cam14
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Very nice. I've been hicking and camping in Big Bend multiple time but always traveld via car. It is a great area. I need to do the trip on a bike.
cam14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,499
nice
Old 11-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
Beater
Breakin' Somethin'

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
nice
+1
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
Tanami
Under The Weather

Oddometer: 267
Awesome

That is a "dream ride" of mine (literally ...see profile!!) and on my preferred scooter. Will you be posting more pics or a report?

I must say though; what amazes me (as an aussie and said with with very much respect) is that you guys have SO many great micro breweries in the states, it's one of the highlights of travel there ..... but fosters beer!!! my gaawd. (Give me sierra nevada any day). But you know, after a day or two of riding in big bend any beer that came after a 50km run would be pretty damn sweet. As I said, dream ride of mine, great to see someone living it. Really, really nice.
Tanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:09 AM   #7
KhaoSanMan
Airhead

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanami View Post
That is a "dream ride" of mine (literally ...see profile!!) and on my preferred scooter. Will you be posting more pics or a report?

I must say though; what amazes me (as an aussie and said with with very much respect) is that you guys have SO many great micro breweries in the states, it's one of the highlights of travel there ..... but fosters beer!!! my gaawd. (Give me sierra nevada any day). But you know, after a day or two of riding in big bend any beer that came after a 50km run would be pretty damn sweet. As I said, dream ride of mine, great to see someone living it. Really, really nice.
If you ever find yourself in Chico, CA, land of the Sierra Nevada brew, feel free to hit me up. I'll be happy to set you up.

#3 - BMW Motorrad Mull aus der Hölle
KhaoSanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:12 AM   #8
tennessee thumper OP
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 617
Tan-man,

Glad you like the post. Fosters and Lone Star were are only beer choices. Cold Beer is Good Beer.

More pics from the trip, one set from each of us. Enjoy.

http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/m...%20Big%20Bend/

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/43315717/1/bike%20trip?h=ec4c53

https://picasaweb.google.com/satchef...Mi-ooyyyvTh4AE
Old 11-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
Tanami
Under The Weather

Oddometer: 267
Cheers Tennessee. Man, I'm dying to go...

Right back at you Khao san man.
Tanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
ducnek
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 978
AWESOME.

Best bike trip I have taken in the last couple weeks is to the beer store.

Sweet old airhead.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #11
ignatz72
call me iggy

Oddometer: 621
No Old Ore Road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post
I spent a bit more than a week down there last February. Fantastic place to visit especially if you're from "back east" like me in Tn. Camped at Rio Grande Village campground, they had the best mix of amenities for me.

Looks like you had fun, did you ride the old ore rd ?

Mike
We basically took Panther Junction to Glenn Springs via Nugent Mtn. I suggested a route out of the park that would have taken us on Old Ore, but apparently the drought had really caused problems there like on Black Gap and River Road... would have been one helluva return route packed down with gear and washouts all over the place.

After hearing the reports, I was glad I stayed behind and setup camp at Solis while TT and the other kucklehead (Ted) went down River Road East for a beer run... apparently it was challenging for both an R100PD and R1100GS w/o gear!

We are looking forward to a possible return to BBNP next year, with a focus on the Western section via Terlingua.

I'm in Memphis Cogs, where are you?

Shot from near the Solis campground on the Rio Grande/Bravo/Pollo:
Attached Images

ignatz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #12
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz72 View Post
We basically took Panther Junction to Glenn Springs via Nugent Mtn. I suggested a route out of the park that would have taken us on Old Ore, but apparently the drought had really caused problems there like on Black Gap and River Road... would have been one helluva return route packed down with gear and washouts all over the place.

After hearing the reports, I was glad I stayed behind and setup camp at Solis while TT and the other kucklehead (Ted) went down River Road East for a beer run... apparently it was challenging for both an R100PD and R1100GS w/o gear!

We are looking forward to a possible return to BBNP next year, with a focus on the Western section via Terlingua.

I'm in Memphis Cogs, where are you?

Shot from near the Solis campground on the Rio Grande/Bravo/Pollo:
Old Ore rd is not fun on the bigger bikes like the GSA

The scenery out there is hard to beat, in the middle of nowhere.

I'm in Knoxville, just a bit east of you... I may head back down this coming February if work slows down again.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote