ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
tennessee thumper OP
now in Mt. View, AR
 
tennessee thumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Oddometer: 617
93 R100PD Big Bend Trip

Just returned from roughly a 3000 mile trip from Arkansas to Big Bend National Park and back. Bike performed nearly flawlessly. Only "issue" was my front tire went flat one cold night after dropping it to 25lbs for backcountry riding. Slime portable air pump fixed that in a jiffy. Speedometer needle starting getting a little worbly and the heated grips seem to have died.

I had just installed a set of Heidi Scouts, front and rear, before the trip so total miles on those now is close to 4000. The front had a heavy spot in it that I could not balance out with Dyna Beads. A slow worrble under 45 mph. No biggie though.
They have held up much better than expected and seemed to wear better on the rear than the new set of Tourance my buddy had on his R100GS. Tread life is still well over half. I will be buying these tires again.

In Big Bend we stayed at the Glen Springs Camp Site on night one and Solis( on the Rio Grande) the second night. Rode about 50 miles off road and found the roads to be fun and challenging. Only did a bit of the post 4 Wheel Drive only roads as I wanted to get the bike out in one piece. Had a 30 mile beer run that took over two hours in the back country. Well worth it though as we scored a case of Fosters Oil Cans.

Also had a few days in Leakey, TX home of the Three Sisters roads. Nice area to ride with lots of m/c friendly cabins available. TOO MANY DEER though. The whole area around the Three Sisters is a series of private game/hunting reserves. How ironic that some of the best m/c road in TX are over run with deer and other game animals. Only saving grace is some areas do have 12 ft fencing. It only eases the mind slightly.

Recommend this trip to anyone out there with a dual sport, large or small. Late November the weather was PERFECT, especially in Big Bend.

Some pics, Cheers.







__________________
insert meaningless phrase here....
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer
 
Cogswell's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Riding with my pal Richard Cranium
Oddometer: 3,766
I spent a bit more than a week down there last February. Fantastic place to visit especially if you're from "back east" like me in Tn. Camped at Rio Grande Village campground, they had the best mix of amenities for me.

Looks like you had fun, did you ride the old ore rd ?




Mike
__________________
Cogswell Rides To Big Bend
See my airhead project here
Time Warp Vintage Motorcycle Club
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
cam14
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 136
Very nice. I've been hicking and camping in Big Bend multiple time but always traveld via car. It is a great area. I need to do the trip on a bike.
cam14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP
 
Stagehand's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Shawangunks
Oddometer: 23,499
nice
__________________
It aint a fit night out for man nor beast.
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
Beater
Breakin' Somethin'
 
Beater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
nice
+1
__________________
Fred
'85 R80RT G/Sified <|> '91 R100GS Bumblebee (101K miles and climbing) <|> '73 R75/5 LWB
Airhead Zen: Ride - Repair - Ride - Maintain - Ride - Repeat
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
Tanami
Under The Weather
 
Tanami's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Down Under Down Under
Oddometer: 267
Awesome

That is a "dream ride" of mine (literally ...see profile!!) and on my preferred scooter. Will you be posting more pics or a report?

I must say though; what amazes me (as an aussie and said with with very much respect) is that you guys have SO many great micro breweries in the states, it's one of the highlights of travel there ..... but fosters beer!!! my gaawd. (Give me sierra nevada any day). But you know, after a day or two of riding in big bend any beer that came after a 50km run would be pretty damn sweet. As I said, dream ride of mine, great to see someone living it. Really, really nice.
Tanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:09 AM   #7
KhaoSanMan
Airhead
 
KhaoSanMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Chico, CA
Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanami View Post
That is a "dream ride" of mine (literally ...see profile!!) and on my preferred scooter. Will you be posting more pics or a report?

I must say though; what amazes me (as an aussie and said with with very much respect) is that you guys have SO many great micro breweries in the states, it's one of the highlights of travel there ..... but fosters beer!!! my gaawd. (Give me sierra nevada any day). But you know, after a day or two of riding in big bend any beer that came after a 50km run would be pretty damn sweet. As I said, dream ride of mine, great to see someone living it. Really, really nice.
If you ever find yourself in Chico, CA, land of the Sierra Nevada brew, feel free to hit me up. I'll be happy to set you up.
__________________
'92 BMW R100R Custom
'95 BMW R100 GS
'77 Rizzato Califfo DeLuxe

#3 - BMW Motorrad Mull aus der Hölle
KhaoSanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:12 AM   #8
tennessee thumper OP
now in Mt. View, AR
 
tennessee thumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Oddometer: 617
Tan-man,

Glad you like the post. Fosters and Lone Star were are only beer choices. Cold Beer is Good Beer.

More pics from the trip, one set from each of us. Enjoy.

http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/m...%20Big%20Bend/

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/43315717/1/bike%20trip?h=ec4c53

https://picasaweb.google.com/satchef...Mi-ooyyyvTh4AE
__________________
insert meaningless phrase here....
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
Tanami
Under The Weather
 
Tanami's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Down Under Down Under
Oddometer: 267
Cheers Tennessee. Man, I'm dying to go...



Right back at you Khao san man.
Tanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
ducnek
Misadventurer
 
ducnek's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Rooster Poot Tennessee
Oddometer: 978
AWESOME.

Best bike trip I have taken in the last couple weeks is to the beer store.

Sweet old airhead.
__________________
Calmer than you are.
ducnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #11
ignatz72
call me iggy
 
ignatz72's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Mid-South, M-town
Oddometer: 621
No Old Ore Road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post
I spent a bit more than a week down there last February. Fantastic place to visit especially if you're from "back east" like me in Tn. Camped at Rio Grande Village campground, they had the best mix of amenities for me.

Looks like you had fun, did you ride the old ore rd ?




Mike
We basically took Panther Junction to Glenn Springs via Nugent Mtn. I suggested a route out of the park that would have taken us on Old Ore, but apparently the drought had really caused problems there like on Black Gap and River Road... would have been one helluva return route packed down with gear and washouts all over the place.

After hearing the reports, I was glad I stayed behind and setup camp at Solis while TT and the other kucklehead (Ted) went down River Road East for a beer run... apparently it was challenging for both an R100PD and R1100GS w/o gear!

We are looking forward to a possible return to BBNP next year, with a focus on the Western section via Terlingua.

I'm in Memphis Cogs, where are you?

Shot from near the Solis campground on the Rio Grande/Bravo/Pollo:
Attached Images
 
__________________
Current: 93 R100GS, 03 XR650R
Prior: 73 CB350, 77 R100/7, 83 R100RT, 04 XR650L
I love every motorcycle I've owned and even some that I haven't.
ignatz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #12
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer
 
Cogswell's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Riding with my pal Richard Cranium
Oddometer: 3,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz72 View Post
We basically took Panther Junction to Glenn Springs via Nugent Mtn. I suggested a route out of the park that would have taken us on Old Ore, but apparently the drought had really caused problems there like on Black Gap and River Road... would have been one helluva return route packed down with gear and washouts all over the place.

After hearing the reports, I was glad I stayed behind and setup camp at Solis while TT and the other kucklehead (Ted) went down River Road East for a beer run... apparently it was challenging for both an R100PD and R1100GS w/o gear!

We are looking forward to a possible return to BBNP next year, with a focus on the Western section via Terlingua.

I'm in Memphis Cogs, where are you?

Shot from near the Solis campground on the Rio Grande/Bravo/Pollo:
Old Ore rd is not fun on the bigger bikes like the GSA

The scenery out there is hard to beat, in the middle of nowhere.



I'm in Knoxville, just a bit east of you... I may head back down this coming February if work slows down again.


Mike
__________________
Cogswell Rides To Big Bend
See my airhead project here
Time Warp Vintage Motorcycle Club
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014