Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2005, 05:14 AM   #1
wjohnb OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Garmin 276C - Use without Battery?

I have a new 276C with the locking Mvg Touratech mount. I have only done about 300km on the LC4 with it as looking out the window there is 2" of snow again. etc.

95% of the time or more I have it hooked up to either the car or 100% when on the KTM.

As most of my riding is on pretty rough going, for me anyway, I am really frightened about all that mass thrashing around there, so, lightening up the load by removing that big battery when attached to external power sounds like a reasonable idea.

Has anyone researched if you can use the 276C without the large lithium battery installed when external power is attached?

Are there any negatives?

Are there any posatives?

I would also imagine that battery life would be significantly longer (as you are not using it!).

Would really appreciate your input. Thank you and all the Best, John
wjohnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 07:53 AM   #2
dbsbmr
ADVENTURE MAN

Oddometer: 347
good question...I have one also and I don't know..might call Garmin tomorow and ask them
Old 04-03-2005, 10:52 AM   #3
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
The 276c runs fine without the battery when powered externally.

With a good mount, the mass isn't rally all that much and I wouldn't worry about it since the battery is tough and the contacts are very good. I have never seen an issue with running on the battery on the 276c in all kinds of vibration like I have with other units that use standard batteries.

Once externally powered there isn't any load on the battery and so it won't have an effect on battery life.

One *very big* negative about removing it - the unit is no longer waterproof.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:51 AM   #4
MooreRon
Banned

Oddometer: 3,274
I run the 276C (with the same mount) on the KTM 525 and soon I'll run it on the 950. The unit has seen some very rough terrain and at least one good crash - never any problems. I would think the little extra weight will add a little more stability and keep it from bouncing as much.

As a side note, I added some washers to the isolation mounts on the Touratech to snug it up a little. The mount bounces around WAY TOO MUCH in stock form.
MooreRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:18 AM   #5
wjohnb OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartkim
As a side note, I added some washers to the isolation mounts on the Touratech to snug it up a little. The mount bounces around WAY TOO MUCH in stock form.
Thank you Bartkim for giving a little assurance, we were thinking about adding some washers to it a little as well. Thanks, John
wjohnb is offline   Reply With Quote