Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #886
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 74,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
LOL no kidding
2 points and only 2 finishes in the previous 7 races....up until he backed into a podium....
He's not talking about this year. He's talking about how good Schumacher was when he retired, and about what might have been in the years he wasn't driving.

As for this season, Schumacher's been overwhelmed by mechanical breakdowns, so mocking his points tally is a bit silly.

Sure, he's old and not as good as he used to be. But I agree that Ferrari blundered by letting him go. He had a lot left when they kicked him out.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #887
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
He's not talking about this year. He's talking about how good Schumacher was when he retired, and about what might have been in the years he wasn't driving.

As for this season, Schumacher's been overwhelmed by mechanical breakdowns, so mocking his points tally is a bit silly.

Sure, he's old and not as good as he used to be. But I agree that Ferrari blundered by letting him go. He had a lot left when they kicked him out.

we will never know now will we?
perhaps he could have continued to be great, and perhaps not.
in any case coming back has not "polished" his memory....

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #888
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
Hamilton's tires were so trashed that all Maldonado had to do was wait and make a clean pass under the DRS, but he got excited and screwed up...simple.
Certainly agree that Maldonaldo also showed poor judgment and threw away his points. That makes two of them making the same mistake.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #889
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
That makes no sense. Of course we know.

He won 6 races the season he retired and 12 podiums. At one time he held the points lead. Do you believe his skills would have vanished in the winter break?

Of course not. He was one of the best in F1 when he was pushed out. We know perfectly well that he had a lot left.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #890
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
That makes no sense. Of course we know.

He won 6 races the season he retired and 12 podiums. At one time he held the points lead. Do you believe his skills would have vanished in the winter break?

Of course not. He was one of the best in F1 when he was pushed out. We know perfectly well that he had a lot left.

every year the rules get tweaked.
they may have been tweaked in a way that wasn't in his favor... like no more bespoke Bridgestones, less testing, aero changes.

look at Vettel, last year unbeatable, rules changes and this year? mortal.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #891
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
every year the rules get tweaked.
they may have been tweaked in a way that wasn't in his favor... like no more bespoke Bridgestones, less testing, aero changes.

look at Vettel, last year unbeatable, rules changes and this year? mortal.

The 2007 Ferrari won 9 races. Do you seriously believe that Schumacher wouldn't have had good results with it? Of course not.

ps He won 7 races in his last season, not 6. And finished 2nd in points.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #892
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
+1 I saw many attempts at passing in that corner throughout the race, the driver attempting the pass got off the throttle once they realized there was no room to complete the pass...Maldonado did not...that is why they crashed.
The video I posted with Grosjean directly contradicts your statement. Grosjean had no more room than Maldonado, but did complete the pass - the only difference was that Hamilton gave Grosjean more room than Maldonado (perhaps because his tires allowed him to). And in any event, the crash was due to Maldonado's actions in the subsequent corner, not in the one you're talking about.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 09:19 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #893
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
For me, there's no need to polish his memory. Even if he never gets on the podium again, nothing can tarnish his record (more than it was tarnished from time to time by his own questionable actions). What I like to see is that he appears to be enjoying himself racing, not racing for championships or even wins, just racing the cars around him.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #894
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
For me, there's no need to polish his memory. Even if he never gets on the podium again, nothing can tarnish his record (more than it was tarnished from time to time by his own questionable actions). What I like to see is that he appears to be enjoying himself racing, not racing for championships or even wins, just racing the cars around him.
Hear, hear.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #895
AngelFZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
only a matter of time....

P1 Silverstone!
Since Monaco there is the talk of Lotus winning the race.
Indeed they are getting very close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AngelFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #896
Irish1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Interesting to see all the tire clag on Raikonnen's tires in comparison to how relatively clean Alonso's tires were.
I love Alonso's victory but I'd really love to see Alonso #1, Kimi #2 and Button #3 at the end of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFZ View Post
Since Monaco there is the talk of Lotus winning the race.
Indeed they are getting very close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Irish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #897
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish1 View Post
Interesting to see all the tire clag on Raikonnen's tires in comparison to how relatively clean Alonso's tires were.
By the time they reach the pits after a race, they all look like that. To add weight (to make sure they reach the minimum) they all drive through the clag on their cool-down lap. It sticks like glue to their hot tires.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #898
eric2
容gister this:

Oddometer: 3,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
To my eyes, the difference is that Hamilton wasn't a dick and gave Grosjean some room (i.e., he didn't run him off the track).

Or perhaps this was at a point in the race where Hamilton's tires allowed him to give Grosjean some room - some folks think Hamilton had no choice but to run Maldonado off the track as his tires were so bad he had to use the entire track to make the corner.

However you want to pitch it, Hamilton DID run Maldonado off the track in the preceding corner to the one where Maldonado retaliated.

- Mark
That's my take on it. Hamilton couldn't possibly make the corner without straightlining it and hanging maldonado out to dry. The speedtv crew all agreed on that, they also mentioned the high curb placed there that would have mangled maldonados car had he not gotten back on track. When you're racing side by side you have to give the other guy room, especially since hamilton was off the racing line since he overdrove the corner to defend.

In the end it was just a racing incident AFAIC. Maldos 20 second and loss of 1 point is meaningless and won't cause much loss of sleep since williams isn't in the hunt for driver or constructor championship. Hamilton OTOH should have used a little discretion but ended up throwing away 6 points which is a dumb way to prove a point.

I don't like hamilton, he seems like a cry baby and its no wonder him and alonzo butted heads at mclaren. I don't really care for Alonzo either, but I cannot deny the guy is one of the great drivers out there, certainly one of the greatest ever,and what he's done for ferrari this year after their awful start will be talked about for some time.

PS I can't wait for the F1 race here, this year, when everyone is on the same level playing field
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #899
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2 View Post
Maldos 20 second and loss of 1 point is meaningless and won't cause much loss of sleep since williams isn't in the hunt for driver or constructor championship.
I would just say that Malodonado threw away a podium with his impetuousness. And these days, a podium is a rare and coveted thing at Williams.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #900
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2 View Post
I don't like hamilton, he seems like a cry baby
I can't say that I'm surprised. It probably explains your lack of objectivity regarding the steward's judgement.