Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 12:28 AM   #46
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,356
Sadly, no. Just got my motorhome chassis back from being sandblasted and painted, and have been focused on trying to get that put back together. Spreading myself pretty thin between a bunch of different projects right now, but am making good progress on stuff, so will be able to get back to working on these bikes pretty soon.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #47
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,259
I like how your 650 is coming together.

BTW, I'm parting out a '95 XR600 if you need any chassis components. Feel free to call or drop by the shop.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
BMW 1150GS It's like ridding a Barkalounger
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #48
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Thanks. We've got three bikes, an extra frame to use for mock-up, and a big pile of parts, so think we're good - but thanks for the offer.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #49
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Drat, and I was going to say that if you bring me a sandwich and a soda you could take what you like off the XR.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #50
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRider View Post
Drat, and I was going to say that if you bring me a sandwich and a soda you could take what you like off the XR.
You have a PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #51
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRider View Post
Awe, thanks man I'll let you know but we're replacing so many parts that there's just not much that we need from another stock bike. maybe a wheelset? was actually going to give you a call about tuning-up that 600. has been sitting for a while and sean would like to ride it as-is until it's time to tear it down to rebuild.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #52
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Awe, thanks man I'll let you know but we're replacing so many parts that there's just not much that we need from another stock bike. maybe a wheelset? was actually going to give you a call about tuning-up that 600. has been sitting for a while and sean would like to ride it as-is until it's time to tear it down to rebuild.
Bring the 600 by any time.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #53
Thumperama
RIP Husaberg

Oddometer: 167
This is cool.
'06 Triumph Tiger 955i, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i
'97 & '87 XR600R's
Thumperama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #54
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Picked-up a 41mm FCR carb off a late-model KTM, and just sent an email to Noss about getting some adapters. Purchased one for my XR650R a long time ago, and was really please with the quality and fit.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #55
AllenL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Good stuff! I've followed your work for a few years now, and I've got to say you've been a bit of an inspiration. It all started with when I started building up my minitruck, then tacoma. Now, I'm working on a XR600 scrambler/supermoto and I know your work is going to amp up what I think is possible as far as fabrication on this thing goes.

Keep it up on this one, and yeah your motorhome is badass too.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:39 AM   #56
SlickSix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Nice skills man, I wish I could have the time to learn to work steel or alu. like that. Pretty impressive!
SlickSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:48 AM   #57
SlickSix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Im restoring from the ground up a new to me XR600 but no fabrication is involved, sadly. Ill be making a thread soon.
Ive read somewhere above that you have a naked frame in your shop. Could I ask you a favor if its not too much trouble?
I think my frame is tweaked at the heastock... but just to confirm, can you take and post a picture of your frame?
From the back and low in a way that we can see the headstock? Ill post one in my thread to show where I think she tweaked...
SlickSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #58
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickSix View Post
Im restoring from the ground up a new to me XR600 but no fabrication is involved, sadly. Ill be making a thread soon.
Ive read somewhere above that you have a naked frame in your shop. Could I ask you a favor if its not too much trouble?
I think my frame is tweaked at the heastock... but just to confirm, can you take and post a picture of your frame?
From the back and low in a way that we can see the headstock? Ill post one in my thread to show where I think she tweaked...
Yeah, we've got an extra frame, and sure, I can take a picture for you.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #59
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Finally made a little bit of time (and space) to get back into this project. One of these bikes is for my buddy Sean, and he used to work with me at Trails Less Traveled, building trucks and writing articles and stuff. He's a pretty busy dude these days, so it's not too often that we're able to work on projects together anymore, but he he came over and gave me a hand with the rear fender. The steel blank that we got was pretty rough, and then we had to round-out the center where we cut it down. Have a little bit more work to do on it, and then we have to figure out how it's going to get cut and styled, but we probably won't do that until the subframes are finished. Took some measurements from the subframe on the mock-up bike so we can have some parts for the jig machined. Not sure how quickly we can get those made, but that's the next step. Also need to order a die-set so we can bend-up a tubular hoop for the rear fender. Have to fit that up before we can finish shaping the rear fender.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #60
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Spent the last couple days taking a bunch of measurements and designing a jig that should make fitting the new subframes to these bikes a little bit easier, but it's really more about consistency. The airbox, rear fender, and seatpan are all going to be designed to fit this new subframe, so want to ensure that everything goes together right. Just sent those CAD files to Robo-Boogie to take a look at, and have machined for me.