User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #16
BlueByU06
Ribbon Rider

Oddometer: 239
Brian,
I'm so into this RR.May the Sun be in your face and the wind at your back. Now go live the dream.
BlueByU06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #17
Scott of the Sahara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Well, the weather looks pretty good for the next few days in Seattle. Good luck and take lots of pictures.
Scott of the Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #18
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUglyDan View Post
Hi Brian, I linked over to your RR from your trial run and realized I must of just missed you at AF Lodge when I saw the pics of the ol' codgers with the Model A's. I was on my way back from Prudhoe and helped them load the one up onto a flatbed they rented from U-Haul.
Good luck on your trip, BTW I always carry a spare set of MC jumper cables tucked away under the tank
I was wondering how those guys' trip worked out. I stopped at the car museum in Fort Nelson, and there was a lot of Model "A"stuff there, I am sure they woud have had the parts to rebuild the engine. I met some people who were heading north, and they said if they saw 2 model "A"s they would stop and recommend they go to the museum in search of parts. I guess that didn't hapen :)

Thats a good idea about the MC jumper cables. I don't have any with me, but I betcha I could build a set and they would sit nicely under my seat where my spare belt is. I will build a set once I reach summer :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2Sky View Post
Subscribed. Looking forward to seeing your path unfold - have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible monster View Post
This is awesome. Best of luck on your adventure, I look forward to following along with you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByU06 View Post
Brian,
I'm so into this RR.May the Sun be in your face and the wind at your back. Now go live the dream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of the Sahara View Post
Well, the weather looks pretty good for the next few days in Seattle. Good luck and take lots of pictures.
Thanks . I am hoping this will be a trip my grandchildren will tell their grandchildren about.

I am South of Seattle, and the weather is WET. Got into a cheap motel just in time. I don't really mind cold, and I don't really mind wet, but I am less than excited about cold and wet. Supposed to clear up tomorrow. :)

BC Brian screwed with this post 11-30-2011 at 06:12 AM
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:05 PM   #19
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 1 Nov 29 431 kms Vancouver BC to Castle Rock Wa

Got up this morning and it wasn’t raining. The weather report for the last few days called for rain Tuesday, with maybe a bit of snow. I tracked down all my gear and loaded the bike before anyone else was up. My brother and his wife got up and woke up my nephew. I had promised him I wouldn’t leave without saying good bye. With hugs all around, I was off.
Nephew

Rode in rush hour traffic to border and got in line.

Got through the border with no problems.

Now this might not seem like a big deal to most of you, but I very rarely have “No Problem” at the border. They usually ask me a few questions, and then look at me funny and ask, “have you ever been arrested or fingerprinted?” That’s a pretty loaded question, cause if you say yes, they send you in to see the guy, and if you say no, they send you in to see the guy. Seeing as when I was a stupid 17 year old, doing stupid 17 year old stuff, I had been arrested and fingerprinted, I always answer yes, and I always get to go in and see the guy. And they check my record ( my stupid 17 year old stunt didn’t result in a record) and then they ask me a gadzillion questions about what I am doing and why am I doing it and 5 different ways of asking if I am carrying drugs and 5 different ways if I am carrying more than $10,000 ( if I had more than $10,000, I would be bragging about it) then they ask me again why I am going into the States. Then they take the opportunity to search my bike, but always let me know that all they are looking for is drugs or more than $10,000. Then they ask me why I am acting nervous, and I tell them don’t know why, when really I want to tell them they are mistaking nervous for mad.

This time, the officer asked me a few questions, where I was going, how long was I going to be in the states, where did I work, with an incredulous “You quit your job to be in the States for 10 to 12 days?” so I explain that this is the 1st country of many. She asked to many questions that really weren’t any of her business as they didn’t pertain to my stay in the US ( and not the, “cool, you are going to ride your bike all the way to South America” kind of questions). And I answered them as politely as I could, and she didn’t once ask if I had ever been arrested or fingerprinted. She then said, without meaning any of it, “have a nice trip. “ I told her “thanks, I will”. I then smiled at the officer standing by the “Pull in area”. He didn’t smile back J

So away I went. Bought some cheap gas in Blaine,, grabbed a burger and used the wifi in Bellingham. I had hoped to ride as far as Vancouver Wa today ( really just so my 1st day could be Vancouver to Vancouver), but, although it didn’t rain on me, it wasn’t real warm out. As I rode past one cheap looking motel after another, I would look at my odometer and think, just a bit further. I rode as far as Castle Rock Wa, saw what looked like a cheap motel, and called it a Day

Old 11-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #20
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,033
I always like to follow a fellow canuck's trip south during the winter months. This year your the guy. Good luck, we'll be watching with envy.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #21
BluNozr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
You have made the toughest part of the journey this week. Stepping off and leaving. You are in for the time of you life and you have a great ride to do it. I love my GSA and it is doing the job for me now (as we speak) but there is a hell of a lot of great asphalt that you will be riding till you are tired and beat. I am pretty sure there is another Buell on the road from Whitehorse as well. I was talking with a guy at the Yamaha dealership on my way up to Alaska and he was making the trip to Panama this fall.

I am signed up for you report and will follow along when I get an internet connection.

I am currently in the middle of my own ride to Ushuaia from Nova Scotia and am spending the day/night in Lima, Peru getting the fluid in the final drive changed.

Let me know if I can help out with any questions as you go along. I might pass by on the way back up in the coming months. All the best, ride safe and take lots of chances.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #22
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Brian View Post
[After quite a while of drawing up routes and looking on Google maps and making plans, I stopped and asked myself “Is this how I want to do this trip?” Most of my life up to this point revolved around schedules and planning ( In fact, that’s a large part of my job).
So I decided that I would have no itinerary. That I would just point my front tire South, and when the time was right I would turn around and point the front tire North. No destination. No schedule. Just kind of see what develops.
Wow, right on man! I too, tire of planning rides. I find that the sense of exploration is higher when I leave some room for simply wandering! The Buell should be a great bike for the adventure too.
I look forward to hearing more. Be safe and ride well!
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #23
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
I'm in...

Old 12-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #24
Armydad
Prov. 3:5-6

Oddometer: 78
Question Gas consumption

Buell's should be good for 50+ mpg, I'm interested to see what you get loaded up, if you're keeping track of it. Safe ride.
Armydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #25
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 839
Fantastic!!!

Congrats Brian on getting clearance and hitting the road, that's awesome!

I'm super envious of you - I can't wait to read about all the places, people, and stuff you're going to see!

Mrs SoSlow and I both wish you safe and enjoyable riding!!!

How's the Buell feeling, now that you're finally on your trip?

Have a great trip!
Old 12-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #26
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNozr View Post
You have made the toughest part of the journey this week. Stepping off and leaving. You are in for the time of you life and you have a great ride to do it. I love my GSA and it is doing the job for me now (as we speak) but there is a hell of a lot of great asphalt that you will be riding till you are tired and beat. I am pretty sure there is another Buell on the road from Whitehorse as well. I was talking with a guy at the Yamaha dealership on my way up to Alaska and he was making the trip to Panama this fall.

I am signed up for you report and will follow along when I get an internet connection.

I am currently in the middle of my own ride to Ushuaia from Nova Scotia and am spending the day/night in Lima, Peru getting the fluid in the final drive changed.

Let me know if I can help out with any questions as you go along. I might pass by on the way back up in the coming months. All the best, ride safe and take lots of chances.

Thanks
I don't know how I missed your road report. I am now subscribed and have a few pages saved to my hard drive to read when I have no internet connection.

It would be good to meet up with you on your way back up. I'll buy you a beer and you can tell me stories about what I am in for :)
Old 12-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #27
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow View Post
Congrats Brian on getting clearance and hitting the road, that's awesome!

I'm super envious of you - I can't wait to read about all the places, people, and stuff you're going to see!

Mrs SoSlow and I both wish you safe and enjoyable riding!!!

How's the Buell feeling, now that you're finally on your trip?

Have a great trip!
Thanks SoSlow, and say hi to Mrs SoSlow for me.

I can't wait to see the places, people and stuff I am going to write about.

Maybe you should talk Mrs SoSlow into letting you take an extended bike trip, or better yet, bring her along.

Buell is good so far. Seat is, well, a stock Buell seat. But if I geet uncomfortable, I can stop,look around, see stuff and meet people.

Hows that KLR? All healed up yet?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #28
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 2 Nov 30 488 km Castle Rock Wa to Grants Pass Or

Woke up early, and it had stopped raining. After arriving in Castle Rock last night, it had begun to rain, and rain, and rain. I kept on checking the weather report, and kept on saying no rain for the following day. The way it was raining, I had very little faith in the weatherman. Turns out he was right. Usually I like being right. This time I was ok with being wrong.

It was dry, bit not warm. I dicked around and finally got going a bit later than I had planned. The nice thing about having no schedule, is, well, that you have no schedule. ( I am still not very good at not having a schedule, but I am sure it will come)

Got gas and headed South. Got through Portland without much problems. Might be a good thing I left late, cause the traffic was light. Good thing, too, cause all those on ramps and off ramps and round and round ramps can confuse a country boy J

Stopped at a couple rest stops. Oregon has some real nice scenery, but I guess no one told the highway planners to put a rest stop in a place with a view.

I road and road, enjoying the scenery, but didn’t stop cause, well, there wasn’t any pullouts. Finally saw a pullout that looked pretty good. Stopped, took a leak and looked around a bit. It was quite a bit nicer there than the pictures show.

I had planned on riding down hwy 199 to O’Brien and camping at “Sparkplugs Motorcycle Campground”, but when the sun went down, it got flippin cold. I guess its winter here too. Got a crappy room in Grants Pass and shut er down for the day.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #29
BC Brian OP
Studly Adventurer

Day3 Dec 1 458 kms Grants Pass Or to Laytonville Ca

Left Grants Pass and it was just above freezing. Talked to a couple people before leaving and they couldn’t believe a guy would ride a bike in that weather. Funny how cold is more do-able in the morning than at the end of the day J

Rode down 199, and what an awesome road. It was cold, it was foggy, it was cold, but what an awesome road. Stopped at a rest stop just into California ( again, no view) and talked bikes with a guy for a bit. Asked if my bike was a BMW, and he seemed quite excited that it was made by Harley Davidson. Seemed genuinely happy for me that I was heading towards South America. Told me that he had a V45 back in the day and road an xt250 now.
Away I went for some more awesome corners, and stopped for a bite to eat in Crescent City. Pulled out of there, road about 2 minutes and saw this.

And this

Figured I had better stop and have a look around.

Saw some people walking on the beach

Surfers

Some nice waves

Got back on my bike and headed down the 101. Awesome road. I had heard for years it was a great road, and, it’s a great road. Not a lot of traffic traffic today, and just corner after corner. It would open p to divided highway, then there would be a sign that says slow down, road narrows, and it would go into 2 lanes that would twist and turn and just squeeze through the redwood. In fact, one place they had cut out part of the trees on each side of the road so vehicles could pass by.

Them Redwoods is BIG

This isn’t one of the bigger ones, just one that was by a pullout

Stopped for gas in a small, one pump town

And carried on to Laytonville where I got a room for the night.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #30
azwheelin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Hey Brian, loving your RR. If you get near Phoenix and need anything let me know.
azwheelin is offline   Reply With Quote