Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #136
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Oddometer: 507
Unfortunately for the older models none of this will be possible, we are working on a lot of new projects butthe straight answer is no. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you have any questions about anything else please let me know.

Thanks,

Gordon BD
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #137
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
After a weekend ride that ended at night, I can say this light is seriously bright. And I really liked the beam pattern on the trail.

But its not so good for on-road use. Even aimed down I was flashed numerous times by oncoming drivers. Hopefully the forthcoming dimmer will fix that.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #138
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Thanks MJS we really appreciate it and we are glad you like the light. The dimmer is just a few short weeks, we are just waiting on some parts and we will have them ready. I will continue to keep everyone updated.

Thanks,

Gordon BD
Old 02-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #139
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Holy Moly....my head hurts from just reading this thread

BUT....When can I get a dimmer Squadron for my '09 690 KTM??? And will it fit into my stock mask and wiring??

I am tired of replacing my TT units

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #140
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Holy Moly....my head hurts from just reading this thread

BUT....When can I get a dimmer Squadron for my '09 690 KTM??? And will it fit into my stock mask and wiring??

I am tired of replacing my TT units

Yes it is a very interesting thread The dimmer switch will be out in 2 weeks we are just waiting on a few thing so not too much longer. Unfortunately we are not making a Squadron kit to that will go into that model mask, it is for the exc, xc, xcw, xcf, xcfw. I will check further into that model and ask our engineers here about that. If you have any other questions just let me know.

Thanks,

Gordon BD

(760)560-2252 EXT.124
Old 02-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #141
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Gord,
Thanks for paying attention to this thread and the interest in this lighting solution...

I am technically a moron, so be patient with me :

My 690 has more juice to power lights than the KTM models mentioned above...could a person with better skills than I have somehow install the dimmer unit into existing shells (like my 690....or whatever)....and. would the wire "pigtail" coming off the light be a plug and play for the 690 wiring???

And while I have the mike.....as a second choice to the Squadron, what is your BD model recommended for a 690 for legal dual sport use that has a high beam that will make me smile?

Thank you in advance...

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #142
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,974
Form those that do not want to fuss w/ having to adjust the LED dimmer's rheostat or deal w/ a silly battery operated remote to switch back and forth from hi beam to low beam and prefer simply using the OEM handlebar Hi/Low switch here is a simple solution:

Yellow Pig screwed with this post 02-06-2012 at 08:34 PM
Yellow Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #143
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

One caveat to YP's schematic; the low cost LED dimmer that I have been playing with is straight through on the positive lead. The modulation is done on the negative lead. It can still be made to dim using the relay contacts to connect the negative input and output of the dimmer together. Other dimmers may be different so you will need to know the inner workings of the dimmer you are using.

I'm waiting to see if the BD dimmer will pulse the positive or negative lead. It will be a lot easier to retrofit the BD dimmer for high/low operation if it works in the positive lead. Wire the dimmer input to the low beam lead and the dimmer output to the high beam lead and LED. No relay needed if the stock wiring was for a 55 watt light. The diode may be needed to protect the dimmer but probably not since the dimmer input would not be connected to anything when the HL switch was in the high beam mode.

And make sure that is a minimum 5 amp diode if you're going to pass the LED current through it.

MJS screwed with this post 02-06-2012 at 09:35 PM
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #144
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Thanks. Good to know.

Did it clearly specify in the instructions it was meant for the Negative side? I would automatically assume it would go on the positive side.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #145
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

The dimmer just had power in (- and +) and LED out (+ and -) on the connector. I was able to take it apart and it was obvious from looking at the traces on the board that the two + leads were common. Being a PWM dimmer it needs to be connected to both the positive and negative leads. I have a schematic for a high/low connection but no way to post it at the moment.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #146
BuilderScott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Dan - Am I correct in assuming that, without modification to the stator, the Husky will have no trouble powering a Squadron at 44w since the X2 that you put on is 70w?

Also, you need to change your avatar to Dupres or Coma now.
BuilderScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #147
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Should not be an issue.

Yellow Pig screwed with this post 02-07-2012 at 02:16 PM
Yellow Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #148
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Gord,
Thanks for paying attention to this thread and the interest in this lighting solution...

I am technically a moron, so be patient with me :

My 690 has more juice to power lights than the KTM models mentioned above...could a person with better skills than I have somehow install the dimmer unit into existing shells (like my 690....or whatever)....and. would the wire "pigtail" coming off the light be a plug and play for the 690 wiring???

And while I have the mike.....as a second choice to the Squadron, what is your BD model recommended for a 690 for legal dual sport use that has a high beam that will make me smile?

Thank you in advance...

No problem we are here to help. So a few of us have been discussing your bike and we believe we have come up with a solution. Unfortunately we do not make parts specifically for the 690; we just don't, but with a few modifications you should be on your way. Any machinist you know or one that lives near should be able to make a custom mount that will allow you to mount the Squadron in your Stock headlight shell; kinda like MJS modded his. It will most likely be a 2 or 3 point(bolt) mount with custom brackets, to make it fit the best. As far as the wiring, if you have the 690 smc/ adv, then you will simply plug the ground to the Squadron and the low to the power on the Squadron and safely tape off the high beam wire. The dimmer switch will be plug and play for The Squadron, but you will have change the opposite corresponding plug on your bike which we will have once the dimmer switch is complete, in about 2 weeks. I hope this helped if you have any questions just let me know.

Thanks,

Gordon BD
Old 02-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #149
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Here is a high / low dimmer schematic. This is for a dimmer that modulates the negative lead on the LED. I found one for $8 on Amazon.com. Other manufacturers (including BD) may use a different dimmer configuration so this may not be applicable to the dimmer you have. D1 needs to be a 5 amp or higher diode

Old 02-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #150
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Never mind.

I just found out that one of the vendors in this forum already offers a dimmer w/ a high power bypass already built in.

Problem solved.