Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #151
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,823
Don't want to clutter up BD's thread but that "other" unit is not plug and play into the stock high/low wiring.

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #152
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,070
I doubt any unit is going to be plug & play. I'm assuming most will require a bit of wiring, or is there more to it?
Old 02-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #153
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I doubt any unit is going to be plug & play. I'm assuming most will require a bit of wiring, or is there more to it?
I don't know of any dimmer unit currently available that is P&P but I have not really looked either. It just depends on how much modification to the stock wiring switches will be needed to use the LED light as a high/low headlight. The simple solution is to just wire in a dimmer and twist the knob to select a level.

I'd like a solution that can connect to the stock wiring via a stock connector and use the stock H/L switch. That's me, others may not care. I'm confident I could mod a stock switch to work on the negative lead, I just don't want to cut up the stock wiring harness to do it. One of my requirements for my mods is to have them be at least the same look and quality of OEM and be reversible if possible. (And, I'm probably a bit too anal when it comes to wiring.)

Cheers ,

Old 02-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #154
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

I hear you on that, that would be the ideal solution, but I suspect it's not cost effective to make a plug & play set-up for a dozen different bikes. I'm very dubious that any seller will come up w/ a set-up like that.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #155
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Here's an idea: rather than dim the leds, why not construct the case/panel housing the leds such that the top two units are "Hi" and mounted at a right angle to the panel face and the lower two are sitting in a facing canting downward to some yet-to-be determined angle so as to direct the beam lower than the upper two, thus creating the "Lo" beam. Wiring from a stock handlebar dimmer rocker switch would lead to the leds, with the "Lo" always being on, and the "Hi" would be activated on and off by the "Hi" switch position.

Patent pending.... :)

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #156
dscofever
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Wow...I just read the entire 11 pages so far. And I'm confused as hell...especially MJS's write up on Lumen output calculations and Baja Design's (can't remember the owner's name) response.

I have some questions.
  1. Am I correct in my take away that you have a Squadron light that will fit into the stock 08 KTM EXC headlight housing?
  2. What will the dimmer switch be like? Will it replace the standard hi/lo beam and turn signal switch on my handlebar?
  3. Am I correct that the dimmer will make it DOT approved? Or just tolerable by other drivers on roads?
  4. I have an 08 KTM EXC without the stator upgrade...is there a package deal with the squadron, dimmer switch and stator that you guys offer to people who are willing to beg for a good deal?
dscofever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #157
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscofever View Post
Wow...I just read the entire 11 pages so far. And I'm confused as hell...especially MJS's write up on Lumen output calculations and Baja Design's (can't remember the owner's name) response.

I have some questions.
  1. Am I correct in my take away that you have a Squadron light that will fit into the stock 08 KTM EXC headlight housing?
  2. What will the dimmer switch be like? Will it replace the standard hi/lo beam and turn signal switch on my handlebar?
  3. Am I correct that the dimmer will make it DOT approved? Or just tolerable by other drivers on roads?
  4. I have an 08 KTM EXC without the stator upgrade...is there a package deal with the squadron, dimmer switch and stator that you guys offer to people who are willing to beg for a good deal?

Sorry about all that. Short recap is that all the manufacturers are quoting the lumen output of the LED but due to reflector and other losses actually output will be less. BD was honest about that in their answer so I stopped doing any additional testing. There is no standard for measurement so you need to rely on the reputation of the manufacturer and not just marketing hype.

Can't address the KTM issues but the Squadron is not DOT approved. Nor are the other lights on the market. The ongoing dimmer discussion is about making the light tolerable to oncoming drivers, not legal.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #158
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscofever View Post

I have some questions.

Hey guys,

I am going to ask about the dimmer switch today and let you know by this afternoon.

1. Yes you are correct, The Squadron will fit into the stock housing on you EXC, we have about another 3 weeks until that is complete.

2. As I said above I will find out as much as I can about the dimmer today, I don't know enough at the moment to give you a confident answer, but you will have some details by lunch.

3. No the dimmer will not make it DOT approved, but as MJS said it will make it tolerable for other drivers on the road. (they wont be blinded)

4. I will find out about package deals as of this moment we do offer the 10% forum discount, if you have any question just feel free to let me know.

I am going to get educated on the dimmer right now, I'll talk to you guys soon.

Thanks,

Gordon BD

Baja Designs screwed with this post 02-08-2012 at 09:20 AM
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #159
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

OK everyone,

I got to find out a little faster than expected, but keep in mind some of the information I am giving may change along the way, but here is some info. on the dimmer for The Squadron.

It is going to have an External PWM(pulse with modulator) aka dimming switch.
The dimmer will be in the shell with its own plate, it will also be completely sealed and water proof just like our lights.
It should run to the stock capacitor of every EFI bike, we have tested several with no problems thus far.
Kick start would wire to the stator along with The Squadron.
The dimmer will have an infinite dimming switch 0-100 that will mount on the handlebars.
Lastly, we are working to find the best solution for making the dimmer user friendly when wiring, ultimately we are trying to make it plug and play, but I will have more information on this matter in about a week.
Baja Designs is working as fast as we can to make the best quality and most efficient product possible, I hope this information helped and if you have any questions, as always please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Gordon BD

Baja Designs screwed with this post 02-08-2012 at 10:44 AM
Old 02-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #160
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Hey Gordon,

FYI: To make this dimmer really valuable it will need to hava High Beam by pass so it can be connected to the regular high / low switch of the bike.

In low the LED light would go to the dimmed setting and in High it would go to 100 power.

A dimmer that needs to be fiddled w/ every time a car comes in the opposite direction is not optimal.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #161
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Hey Dan,

Yea we are definitely taking this into account, that's why it is taking a little longer than expected. We want to make sure you guys have the best possible options. I will also pass this info along.

Thanks,

Gordon BD
Old 02-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #162
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Awsome!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #163
BuilderScott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
BuilderScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #164
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

More pictures are in the works on our end Do you guys have any cool night shots you want to share? We would love to see them. Also we are getting much closer to the dimmer switch release, not to long now.

thanks,

Gordon BD
Old 02-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #165
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
BD, have you fitted the Squadron to a 70degree Husaberg mask yet or would I have to go with the Polisport? Also not sure if your Polisport BLUE matches the Husaberg Blue. White might be a better bet.

This is the OEM headlight mask for my 2011 Husaberg FE390.

I could use a lot more light to ride this stuff at night. Wonder if the Squadron is TOO bright and washes out edges on bumps and holes as I've heard some of the high power LED's do? Maybe the 5000K helps with that?

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote