ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #631
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water
 
Queen of Spades's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Decatur, GA
Oddometer: 684
Mission accomplished. Squadron installed on a 1999 KTM LC4 640-Enduro with WP5060 forks. The mounting brackets are temporary until I save up for the Trailtech speedo, then I'll switch to the nicer race mounts supplied by Baja Designs.

This is the original version, not the updated one just released. It's much brighter than the OEM halogen bulb. Pleased so far.






Cell camera doesn't do the light justice.

__________________
'99 KTM 640 LC4 Enduro http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fifXkDQpda4 (January 2014 snow ride)
Queen of Spades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #632
Baja Designs
Baja Designs
 
Baja Designs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: san marcos, ca
Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
Mission accomplished. Squadron installed on a 1999 KTM LC4 640-Enduro with WP5060 forks. The mounting brackets are temporary until I save up for the Trailtech speedo, then I'll switch to the nicer race mounts supplied by Baja Designs.

This is the original version, not the updated one just released. It's much brighter than the OEM halogen bulb. Pleased so far.






Cell camera doesn't do the light justice.

Sweet setup! Let me know how the Squadron performs. Hope you get the most out of your new light, congrats. - Christian
__________________
www.BAJADESIGNS.com
christian@bajadesigns.com
760 560 2252 ext 126
Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #633
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water
 
Queen of Spades's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Decatur, GA
Oddometer: 684
Short vid of an early morning (dark) ride with the Squadron. Shooting with Gopro Hero 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRGOuvh6iSo
__________________
'99 KTM 640 LC4 Enduro http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fifXkDQpda4 (January 2014 snow ride)
Queen of Spades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #634
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,082
Hey Baja Designs man, I have in my garage a "2005-2012 KTM Squadron Installation Manual" and the light that goes with it. "Part #66-0042 & 66-0037".

Problem: The text instructions are OK, but the photos in the "manual" are almost totally blacked out.

Note: The installation bike is a 2013 KTM 500 EXC - the rep at Baja Designs said it would fit on my bike at the time I ordered the light.

Request: I've searched YouTube and everywhere else for a fool proof, hand holding narrative on how to get the install done but without good results.

Got any good ideas?
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #635
jlemond
King of No0bs
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: 30 Miles North by North West of L.A.
Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
Short vid of an early morning (dark) ride with the Squadron. Shooting with Gopro Hero 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRGOuvh6iSo
Well this helped me make my decision. That hot spot just plain sucks. And not only is it dangerous for other drivers but a hot spot like that attracts the attention of the driver/rider behind the wheel/bars, and you will find yourself looking in it instead of searching ahead of yourself by 10-12 seconds.
jlemond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #636
MJS
Beastly Adventurer
 
MJS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Ventura, CA
Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemond View Post
Well this helped me make my decision. That hot spot just plain sucks. And not only is it dangerous for other drivers but a hot spot like that attracts the attention of the driver/rider behind the wheel/bars, and you will find yourself looking in it instead of searching ahead of yourself by 10-12 seconds.
I don't think that video does justice to the Squadron. The light looks like it is aimed low. The "hot spot" isn't noticeable when riding offroad.

This is not the light to use if you're doing lots of nighttime city riding. I've got several sets of Squadrons as well as some BD 8" racelights on bikes. Neither are designed for use in traffic. That said, if you ride offroad at night (or even dusk) this is a fantastic light. With a dimmer it can function to get you back home if you occasionally get caught on the road at night.

The Squadron is manageable if dimmed down to something like 20%. At that level its probably about equal to a stock headlight in illumination. Also, a 10 degree spot is never going to work well in traffic where a wide low pattern is required. I would say this is true of all of the LED spot lights, they are the wrong light for the job.

Naturally, YMMV.
__________________
"You can follow me, but it's gonna hurt"
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #637
gahendo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: San Jse
Oddometer: 14
Anyone mount it in the new 14 ktm headlight mask? Wondering how the extensions are supposed to go on. The included instructions suck compared to the older version.
gahendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #638
Baja Designs
Baja Designs
 
Baja Designs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: san marcos, ca
Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Hey Baja Designs man, I have in my garage a "2005-2012 KTM Squadron Installation Manual" and the light that goes with it. "Part #66-0042 & 66-0037".

Problem: The text instructions are OK, but the photos in the "manual" are almost totally blacked out.

Note: The installation bike is a 2013 KTM 500 EXC - the rep at Baja Designs said it would fit on my bike at the time I ordered the light.

Request: I've searched YouTube and everywhere else for a fool proof, hand holding narrative on how to get the install done but without good results.

Got any good ideas?
We have changed our part number since your purchase. Could you take a picture of your light and I can do my best to get you the appropriate instructions. Thanks - Christian
__________________
www.BAJADESIGNS.com
christian@bajadesigns.com
760 560 2252 ext 126
Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #639
r77toy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 450
Are the spot and driving different lamps, or same lamp with different lenses?
r77toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #640
Baja Designs
Baja Designs
 
Baja Designs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: san marcos, ca
Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by r77toy View Post
Are the spot and driving different lamps, or same lamp with different lenses?
The Spot pattern uses four spot reflectors behind a clear lexan lens, and the Driving Combo pattern uses two spot and two diving reflectors. I hope this information helps, thanks for the question- Christian
__________________
www.BAJADESIGNS.com
christian@bajadesigns.com
760 560 2252 ext 126
Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #641
r77toy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 450
I want the most options, which lamp works best with the wide cornering lens kit?
r77toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #642
Baja Designs
Baja Designs
 
Baja Designs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: san marcos, ca
Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by r77toy View Post
I want the most options, which lamp works best with the wide cornering lens kit?
I would suggest the Spot pattern to give you the best light spread through the fluted Wide-cornering lens. Let me know if you need anything else, thanks - Christian
__________________
www.BAJADESIGNS.com
christian@bajadesigns.com
760 560 2252 ext 126
Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:58 AM   #643
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water
 
Queen of Spades's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Decatur, GA
Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Designs View Post
I would suggest the Spot pattern to give you the best light spread through the fluted Wide-cornering lens. Let me know if you need anything else, thanks - Christian
Is the wide cornering lens kit available for the original Squadron?
__________________
'99 KTM 640 LC4 Enduro http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fifXkDQpda4 (January 2014 snow ride)
Queen of Spades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:34 AM   #644
Baja Designs
Baja Designs
 
Baja Designs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: san marcos, ca
Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
Is the wide cornering lens kit available for the original Squadron?
The Original Squadron is available in Wide-Cornering for $329.95 on our website here is the link: http://http://www.bajadesigns.com/Pr...mNumber=490005


or if you wanted to be able to switch between lenses you can buy the Squadron LED in a Spot beam pattern, for $299.95 and then buy the Wide-cornering lens kit for an additional $24.95. Here are the links for those items:

If you have anymore wuestions i will be more than happy to answer all of them. Thanks for the question and I hope you have found this information helpful.- Christian
__________________
www.BAJADESIGNS.com
christian@bajadesigns.com
760 560 2252 ext 126
Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #645
Thumperama
RIP Husaberg
 
Thumperama's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: McKinney, TX
Oddometer: 154
That's what I did. I bought the wide cornering kit so I could have the ability to change out the lenses if I wanted to.
__________________
'12 GasGas 250 Raga Replica
'11 Husqvarna TE630, '11 Husaberg FE & FS 570's
'10 Triumph T-Bird 1700, '07 Ducati Monster S2R 1K
'06 Triumph Tiger 955i, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i
'97 & '87 XR600R's
Thumperama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014