Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2014, 07:16 AM   #646
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Is the Squadron XL available with connectors that are compatible with a KTM 690E?
Does the Squadron XL have built-in dimming?
If not, which dimmer set-up would I need for a KTM 690E?

Thanks
SKINNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #647
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
Is the Squadron XL available with connectors that are compatible with a KTM 690E?
Does the Squadron XL have built-in dimming?
If not, which dimmer set-up would I need for a KTM 690E?

Thanks
What year is your 690E? And the Squadron XL does have a built in dimmer feature that all bikes can access by using our Squadron XL Mode Switch for $29.95 @ Bajadesigns.com
760 560 2252 ext 126 and/or ext.123
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:01 AM   #648
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Designs View Post
What year is your 690E? And the Squadron XL does have a built in dimmer feature that all bikes can access by using our Squadron XL Mode Switch for $29.95 @ Bajadesigns.com
It's a 2012 but I have a rally fairing on it, so I have plenty of room to mount the light...
Thanks for the info...
SKINNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:42 AM   #649
Moto29
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Diameter of Switch in MM's

Christian at Baja,

Would your Baja Tech guys know the diameter of the Dimmer Switch itself (below the mounting bracket in the picture above) in MM's so that I can check with Paul over at Highway Dirt Bikes to see if your switch would mount into one of his Top Plates? He offers an ADVx plate with four switch mounts and accompanying LED's. It appears to be a close "eyeball" fit, but need to be sure with measurements.

Thanks.... I'll be calling you for a forum discount on a new Squadron XL for my 2014 KTM 500-EXC.

Moto29 screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 12:51 AM
Moto29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #650
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto29 View Post
Christian at Baja,

Would your Baja Tech guys know the diameter of the Dimmer Switch itself (below the mounting bracket in the picture above) in MM's so that I can check with Paul over at Highway Dirt Bikes to see if your switch would mount into one of his Top Plates? He offers an ADVx plate with four switch mounts and accompanying LED's. It appears to be a close "eyeball" fit, but need to be sure with measurements.

Thanks.... I'll be calling you for a forum discount on a new Squadron XL for my 2014 KTM 500-EXC.
The diameter of the red mode Switch is 11/16'' of an inch, and let me know if there is any else I can help you with. Thanks for your interest in our products- Christian
Old 02-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #651
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
The diameter of the red mode Switch is 11/16'' of an inch, and let me know if there is any else I can help you with. Thanks for your interest in our products- Christian
If I've been doing my research right, it's not much more than a momentary switch is it? If so, you could run the switch that HDB sells, the one they designed the switch holes around.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #652
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Looks like I'll find out in the near future. Just ordered an XL today through Dualsport Armory.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #653
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
Looks like I'll find out in the near future. Just ordered an XL today through Dualsport Armory.
Let me know next time before you order so I can get you a forum discount! - Christian
Old 02-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #654
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Let me know next time before you order so I can get you a forum discount! - Christian

I appreciate it, but Allen takes care of me, I try to return the favor when I can. Nice to have good local shops around.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #655
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
I appreciate it, but Allen takes care of me, I try to return the favor when I can. Nice to have good local shops around.
Not a problem at all, Thanks for the support regardless!- Christian
Old 02-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #656
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,940
Can anyone post on this thread their pictures of their mounting of the squadron XL for the KTM EXC 500 2014 I'm just trying to gather some different ideas the light mounting the housing is large and I just wanted to see if anyone had some homespun ideas that they incorporated into the install thank you.....
Old 02-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #657
Moto29
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Ordered!

Thanks Christian!!

Ordered out the Squadron XL and some different dimmer arrangements through Christian for my 2014 KTM 500EXC. We'll see how this goes with some creative wiring.
Moto29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:04 PM   #658
scottbc
advanced lurker

Oddometer: 14
Really interesting thread. I really like the Squadron LED that fits the
KTM mask. I'm wondering though, Squadron specs say 9-36VDC. Is there any reason that the stock AC headlight feed couldn't be run through a simple full wave bridge to power it? The total load is not much more than the stock candle and there is not much voltage fluctuation with RPM change. ( or maybe fed into a dimmer module )

I really dislike modifying the stock wiring harness, my preference is to have a plug and play solution from the stock headlight connector forward. This keeps all the factory controls as well as function. It's a dirt bike, I like it that the headlight shuts off with the engine. I'm looking for a cleaner solution to getting more light.

Scott
scottbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #659
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbc View Post
Really interesting thread. I really like the Squadron LED that fits the
KTM mask. I'm wondering though, Squadron specs say 9-36VDC. Is there any reason that the stock AC headlight feed couldn't be run through a simple full wave bridge to power it? The total load is not much more than the stock candle and there is not much voltage fluctuation with RPM change. ( or maybe fed into a dimmer module )

I really dislike modifying the stock wiring harness, my preference is to have a plug and play solution from the stock headlight connector forward. This keeps all the factory controls as well as function. It's a dirt bike, I like it that the headlight shuts off with the engine. I'm looking for a cleaner solution to getting more light.

Scott
I think that would probably work fine. Be nice to have a cap in the circuit to filter out any ripple. Since the FWB is so cheap, why don't you try running the FWB with the stock headlight. See how it works and maybe get some voltage and current readings. Be nice to look at the output on a scope to if you have access to one. I'd try this before risking a $300 LED but I don't see what the problem would be since the LED uses a constant current driver and should be fine as long as it has enough current within its recommended voltage range.

I'm interested to hear what BD has to say as I've got a buddy with an XR650 and a Squadron that we'd like to get wired up one day.

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:24 PM   #660
scottbc
advanced lurker

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
I think that would probably work fine. Be nice to have a cap in the circuit to filter out any ripple. Since the FWB is so cheap, why don't you try running the FWB with the stock headlight. See how it works and maybe get some voltage and current readings. Be nice to look at the output on a scope to if you have access to one. I'd try this before risking a $300 LED but I don't see what the problem would be since the LED uses a constant current driver and should be fine as long as it has enough current within its recommended voltage range.

I'm interested to hear what BD has to say as I've got a buddy with an XR650 and a Squadron that we'd like to get wired up one day.

I'm an industrial electrician so am pretty familiar with wiring and testing. But I am the first to admit that my electronics knowledge is limited.

I did some testing with and without a connected load. I used a stock 35W KTM headlamp as a load. ( used a Fluke 79 meter ) The AC voltage fluctuated from about 11.5 to 12.25VAC and frequency was about 150 to 400HZ if my memory serves me right.

The 35W lamp was drawing approx. 2A when conn. to the FWB ( measured on the AC side of the bridge ) The 35W lamp was drawing about 2.25A conn. directly to the AC line. The unregulated DC voltage was consistent at just under 9VDC. ( by my measurements )

I don't think that overvoltage is a concern but can the Squadron operate safely at marginally rated voltage.

Scott
scottbc is offline   Reply With Quote