Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #661
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbc View Post
I'm an industrial electrician so am pretty familiar with wiring and testing. But I am the first to admit that my electronics knowledge is limited.

I did some testing with and without a connected load. I used a stock 35W KTM headlamp as a load. ( used a Fluke 79 meter ) The AC voltage fluctuated from about 11.5 to 12.25VAC and frequency was about 150 to 400HZ if my memory serves me right.

The 35W lamp was drawing approx. 2A when conn. to the FWB ( measured on the AC side of the bridge ) The 35W lamp was drawing about 2.25A conn. directly to the AC line. The unregulated DC voltage was consistent at just under 9VDC. ( by my measurements )

I don't think that overvoltage is a concern but can the Squadron operate safely at marginally rated voltage.

Scott
Did you take measurements at different RPMs? Sounds like stator output may be to low. 12.25 volts * 2.25 amps is only 27.5 watts. Not an issue for the stock lamp other than a dim bulb. Probably a big issue for the LED. If you have to do a stator upgrade you might as well add a R/R at the same time.

The guys at BD or Trailtech have way more experience with this than me. Why don't you try giving them a call. I'd be interested in whatever solution you come up with.

Cheers
Old 02-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #662
scottbc
advanced lurker

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
Did you take measurements at different RPMs? Sounds like stator output may be to low. 12.25 volts * 2.25 amps is only 27.5 watts. Not an issue for the stock lamp other than a dim bulb. Probably a big issue for the LED. If you have to do a stator upgrade you might as well add a R/R at the same time.

The guys at BD or Trailtech have way more experience with this than me. Why don't you try giving them a call. I'd be interested in whatever solution you come up with.

Cheers

Yes I took readings at various RPM's that's what I meant by 150 - 400HZ. The voltage was quite consistant over the entire RPM range. I guess what I reallly need to know is how the LED lights will/would operate using unregulated DC vs. a complete floating of the ground ect. I'm just trying to keep it simple.

Scott
scottbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #663
Flying Tivo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
GSW Kit test results from BD?

Whats up with the results of the test trials of the Kits for the GSW! Its been a while. I know the squadron don't need to be tested, but at least pictures of the lights at work would be nice. Im on the fence about to order but i really like the Canopener functions from clearwater lights.

Felipe
Old 02-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #664
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Tivo View Post
Whats up with the results of the test trials of the Kits for the GSW! Its been a while. I know the squadron don't need to be tested, but at least pictures of the lights at work would be nice. Im on the fence about to order but i really like the Canopener functions from clearwater lights.

Felipe
We still have a customer writing a review of the BMW 1200GS Kit with the comparison shots. But a user of ADVRIDER has done a review of the Triumph Tiger 800XC Squadron Kit. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=baja+designs
Here are the pictures of his two Squadrons on bike.

Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #665
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,180
Just got the Squadron XL installed on my KTM, and I'm going to need a bigger dimmer.

The light output on that is insane, and I find it bordering on criminally irresponsible to sell a dual setup.

I'm really at a loss for words to describe the amount of light the XL puts out. Best I can do is say it makes 70W of HID on my KLR look like parking lights. I pity the fool that is on the shiny side of me. I couldn't even take a picture with them on for fear of getting either the law or MUFON called on me.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #666
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
Just got the Squadron XL installed on my KTM, and I'm going to need a bigger dimmer.

The light output on that is insane, and I find it bordering on criminally irresponsible to sell a dual setup.

I'm really at a loss for words to describe the amount of light the XL puts out. Best I can do is say it makes 70W of HID on my KLR look like parking lights. I pity the fool that is on the shiny side of me. I couldn't even take a picture with them on for fear of getting either the law or MUFON called on me.
If the built in dimmer is still to high for you, try out the fully adjustable dimmer for KTMs from Baja Designs.

This KTM DimmerBox is available for $59.95 ( plus a 10% discount) if you call me directly. Thanks for supporting our product, and hope you enjoy your Squadron XL!- Christian
Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Old 02-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #667
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Designs View Post
If the built in dimmer is still to high for you, try out the fully adjustable dimmer for KTMs from Baja Designs.

It's not about what is too bright for me, it's what's too bright for everyone else. Oh, that looks nice! Is that based on the Skene dimmer, for programming and wirings sake?

In half reading this thread, I got it stuck in my head, the built in dimmer was the Skene, and I'd be able to use my existing hi/low/off switch. (Typical case of TLDR, and I'll read what I want to, and only what I want to.)

I have switches and perches coming from HDB, so I'll be able to evaluate the 50% dimming then.

In the mean time, I'll never be lost in the dark woods again. Brilliant piece if lighting, the Squadron XL is.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #668
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
It's not about what is too bright for me, it's what's too bright for everyone else. Oh, that looks nice! Is that based on the Skene dimmer, for programming and wirings sake?

In half reading this thread, I got it stuck in my head, the built in dimmer was the Skene, and I'd be able to use my existing hi/low/off switch. (Typical case of TLDR, and I'll read what I want to, and only what I want to.)

I have switches and perches coming from HDB, so I'll be able to evaluate the 50% dimming then.

In the mean time, I'll never be lost in the dark woods again. Brilliant piece if lighting, the Squadron XL is.
Thanks for the kind words, Baja Designs is always looking to provide our customers with the best lighting options. We truly appreciate the support - Christian
Old 03-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #669
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
So just to confirm, on the XL model the built in "dim" mode (50% brightness) can be accessed with a momentary switch so basically the light will power up in bright mode and a push of the momentary switch will put it in "dim" mode?
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #670
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmt View Post
So just to confirm, on the XL model the built in "dim" mode (50% brightness) can be accessed with a momentary switch so basically the light will power up in bright mode and a push of the momentary switch will put it in "dim" mode?

Nope, needs to be an on/off toggle. Short to ground dims.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:02 AM   #671
Moto29
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Skene !A0175(a) Truly Plug & Play ?

Christian & Baja Designs,

I've been playing around with my new Squadron XL light, the Skene Design IQ-175 Dimmer, as well as the push button Dimmer switch you sold me.

Question: BD advertises the Skene Design IQ-175 dimmer as truly Plug and Play, when it is NOT! Basically Skene advertises the IQ-175 for controlling Auxiliary driving lights along with the high beam on the bike. Has Baja Designs ever installed one of these controllers on a real KTM 500 EXC and gotten it to work and control just the headlight to different lighting levels? My IQ-175 came with two (2) red junction ends. One end plugs into where the original headlight plugs goes and the other into the Squadron XL light. Turn on the key and switch to high beams..... NOTHING! NADA! ZIP! WTF?? So what gives Fellas? Any answers here? Quoting your website for this KTM LED DIMMER BOX KIT (66-0088) "THIS IS TRULY PLUG AND PLAY" ..... Really?

Squadron XL Mode Wire Set (Pushbutton Dimmer -$29): This truly is plug and play with the Squadron XL light as the two yellow wires plug right into the Squadron's wiring harness. However, the dimming value seems to dim the light only about 20% less than the high beam. This was advertised to me to dim the squadron light by 50%, but it doesn't even come close to that.

Now I'm not knocking Baja Designs, but you guys are selling this stuff and making representations that these parts are "Plug and Play" on your website, and over the phone, when it appears that's not true!

So..... Post a wiring diagram that shows how the Skene IQ-175 Dimmer with dual red couplers is supposed to work on a 2013 or 2014 KTM 500 EXC and control the Squadron light. The directions talk about having the customer use a two-position or a three-position toggle to control light values. But again... the diagram and illustrations from Skene clearly and only show a bike with auxiliary lights. I thoroughly searched this forum, as well as several others, and there is not a post about anyone yet successfully controlling the BD Squadron light with anything but the $29 push-button dimmer. And as stated... that dimmer only dims the light about 20% from the high beam. That's negligible people. This is not just my observation, but also my KTM Dealer at MPC KTM and also at Elk Grove KTM. So what gives Baja??? How are you guys getting the Skene Controllers to work??? And, how do I get a Dimmer to cut my light to 50% from high ?? These controllers and wiring diagram interactions with your products needs to be tightened up a lot better than they presently are.

JASONMT (above): Nope.. the dimmer will only give you 20% less light from full high beam. It was alluded to me also that the dimmer would lessen the output of the light by 50%, but this is certainly NOT the case.

Anyone else run into this??

Moto29 screwed with this post 03-04-2014 at 06:56 AM
Moto29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:06 AM   #672
mikrow
Wanna see my snare?

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto29 View Post
Now I'm not knocking Baja Designs, but you guys are selling this stuff and making representations that these parts are "Plug and Play" on your website, and over the phone, when it appears that's not true!

It was alluded to me also that the dimmer would lessen the output of the light by 50%, but this is certainly NOT the case.

Anyone else run into this??

I use the Squadron and the IQ-175 dimmer on my 690R. Plug and play and it works great. Default dim is about 50% of bright. Bright comes on when I select bright, dim when I select dim. Plug and play for me.
mikrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #673
dct3416
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Christian & Baja Designs,

I've been playing around with my new Squadron XL light, the Skene Design IQ-175 Dimmer, as well as the push button Dimmer switch you sold me.

Question: BD advertises the Skene Design IQ-175 dimmer as truly Plug and Play, when it is NOT! Basically Skene advertises the IQ-175 for controlling Auxiliary driving lights along with the high beam on the bike. Has Baja Designs ever installed one of these controllers on a real KTM 500 EXC and gotten it to work and control just the headlight to different lighting levels? My IQ-175 came with two (2) red junction ends. One end plugs into where the original headlight plugs goes and the other into the Squadron XL light. Turn on the key and switch to high beams..... NOTHING! NADA! ZIP! WTF?? So what gives Fellas? Any answers here? Quoting your website for this KTM LED DIMMER BOX KIT (66-0088) "THIS IS TRULY PLUG AND PLAY" ..... Really?

Squadron XL Mode Wire Set (Pushbutton Dimmer -$29): This truly is plug and play with the Squadron XL light as the two yellow wires plug right into the Squadron's wiring harness. However, the dimming value seems to dim the light only about 20% less than the high beam. This was advertised to me to dim the squadron light by 50%, but it doesn't even come close to that.

So..... Post a wiring diagram that shows how the Skene IQ-175 Dimmer with dual red couplers is supposed to work on a 2013 or 2014 KTM 500 EXC and control the Squadron light.
Moto29, the "extra" red wire needs to be connected to a switched power source. On my '14 EXC there is a cluster of red wires that are crimped together and sealed which I simply tapped into. I'd provide pictures but I've already put shrink tube around it all so it wouldn't help very much. It's easy enough to find though.

I'm also using a Sicass three-position switch where the high beams selection is full brightness, the low-beam appears to be approximately 50% and the off setting keeps the light on at maybe 10%. My kit was missing the extension brackets so my installation isn't finished yet and therefore I haven't even attempted to program it yet. I'll get back to you on that, although I'm thinking that the default settings may be okay for me.

I couldn't agree with you more about the lack of proper documentation. I've dealt with three different techs at BD regarding various products and they have all been very helpful, but had they included proper and detailed instructions to begin with I wouldn't have had to involve them at all. I'm not putting BD down, I think that they're a great company. I just think that their documentation really needs to be improved.
dct3416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #674
Moto29
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dct3416 View Post
Moto29, the "extra" red wire needs to be connected to a switched power source. On my '14 EXC there is a cluster of red wires that are crimped together and sealed which I simply tapped into. I'd provide pictures but I've already put shrink tube around it all so it wouldn't help very much. It's easy enough to find though.

I'm also using a Sicass three-position switch where the high beams selection is full brightness, the low-beam appears to be approximately 50% and the off setting keeps the light on at maybe 10%. My kit was missing the extension brackets so my installation isn't finished yet and therefore I haven't even attempted to program it yet. I'll get back to you on that, although I'm thinking that the default settings may be okay for me.

I couldn't agree with you more about the lack of proper documentation. I've dealt with three different techs at BD regarding various products and they have all been very helpful, but had they included proper and detailed instructions to begin with I wouldn't have had to involve them at all. I'm not putting BD down, I think that they're a great company. I just think that their documentation really needs to be improved.
DCT3416: Thanks for the feedback. I too am using the very same Sicass slim design three way switch for headlight/turn signal control. Let me ask you then, did you just plug in your Skene IQ-175 Controller and have everything work as you described (plugging the red wire into switched power), or did you have to go into your Sicass handlebar pigtail wiring and do some custom configuration in order to get low beam and such?
Moto29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #675
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:

JASONMT (above): Nope.. the dimmer will only give you 20% less light from full high beam. It was alluded to me also that the dimmer would lessen the output of the light by 50%, but this is certainly NOT the case.
I would not call posting:
  • Optional Dim Mode (50%)
In the product description on the websit as "Alluding":

I will wait and see how the dim mode works when the light shows up, not really a huge issue for my intended application BUT it could be for someone else.
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote