Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #691
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto29 View Post
Wow! Spending way too much early morning sleep time fixing this problem. But..... I've got it!!!

First of all, took the light assembly off of the bike and at the top of the shroud is where Baja Designs has two (2) long bolts going through the headlight, then you add the Baja Design 3/4" white nylon round spacer over the bolt. Then you attach this to your shroud's pre-configured attachment points. In the photo below I got a lot of white flashback from the plastic so sorry about that, but you can see the white nylon spacer and how this all attaches to your light.

The Fix: What I did was just add an additional spacer and merely choose a 1/4" nut to run the long bolt through first, then added the 3/4" white nylon spacer. After that, bolt everything back together.

Left Side Photo of Rectifier / CDI spacing:
Now here is the results. As you can see from this photo I have plenty of room, about 3/8" in full left lock and nothing at all touches the Rectifier/CDI box that was the trouble before. In addition, I have plenty of adjustment in both directions to adjust the headlight. So I think Baja should include a slightly longer white nylon spacer in their kits from now on.

Quote:
"The Table": Let's not argue over facts not in dispute here. No one said that the BD Design is a legal headlamp. However, JASONMT already displayed Baja Designs 50% light dimming claim in their very own advertisement (see Above).

Second, look at my picture above where I have the IQ-175 spread out on my desk with the Skene instructions. Do you see to the right of the photo that the only values for the dimmer capability are listed in the "Default Lamp Brightness" column as .... 10%, 20% and 50%. I'm not arbitrarily making up values for brightness here, I'm using their own stated facts!

So, in the end fella's... Baja Design does indeed make one hell of a great light!! No argument. Is it made to be street legal? NO. No argument. Do people buy these lights and use them on their Dual-Sport street legal bikes. Hell yes! (like my 2014 KTM 500-EXC). Are the instructions inadequate or not on target. Uh-em... you know that answer.....! And finally.... if not for Forums like ADVRider where we can spout off about all this stuff and share our frustrations about the problems as well as the cures we and others have found out about some modifications would be entirely frustrating as Hell!

A very warm-hearted "Thank You" goes out to all who have contributed to finding the answers here. This helps the next person wire up their Baja Designs Squadron lamp successfully the first time. I will publish pictures below as to what you need to get for the right set up and have the light work perfectly. Well, for a KTM 500 EXC that is.......

Purchase a "Sicass Multi-Function Handlebar Switch" ... about $60. This plugs right into your existing wiring harness (for the KTM Version) and is impossible to do it wrong.

This is your Baja Designs headlight mounted to your stock shroud. The Red Coupler attaches directly to your Skene IQ-175 Controller.

Now plug the other end of the Skene IQ-175 Controller to your original factory Headlight coupler. Then connect the little pigtail red wire to a "SWITCHED" power source on your Motorcycle. This is a hot lead that is only powered when the key is on. You'll find plenty of them behind your headlight area. I would suggest that you use a "Posi-Tap" as it makes tying into a hot lead super easy!

When you are all done you will have Three (3) levels of brightness right at the Sicass Handlebar Switch. Nothing even to program! The switches "Off" position will give you about 20% brightness (eyeball guess - please don't argue with me). The "Low" beam will be about 50% brightness and the "High" beam will yield that massive wall of light that only a Baja Designs Squadron will yield! Freaking Bright!!!
Did you try using the adjuster bolts on the black plastic brackets before adding the washer behind the nylon spacer. If so we can alter the kit to include longer nylon spacers - Christian
760 560 2252 ext 126 and/or ext.123
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #692
Moto29
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Adjusters Fully Out

Hey Christian!

Yep, the adjusters were already set to their fully out, maximum setting. That is the first thing I tried for some extra space.
Moto29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #693
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
DCT3416: My Squadron "Plastic" extended brackets (came with the light) are set to be as close to the original factory setting as possible. Basically, as close to the triple tree clamps as possible. I have extra wiring running up there also powering three (3) fused circuits for heated grips, Powerlet plug and one extra for future needs. Since you brought this up I went out a took a better look as I thought I was just feeling my Fork Stops at full left and full tight.

NOTE TO BAJA DESIGNS: I too have a problem with the Squadron light touching my Rectifier (CDI) box in full left turn lock. (Read more below with photo's)

However, with that being said.... The light is too close and out of adjustment with the light beam for proper riding. I adjusted as much as I can and it is still a little bit out of range (showing up too high). So now I am headed out to the Garage to adjust the brackets out more to give the light more room. This effectively pushes the light further out front toward the fender tip, which will also benefit your concerns of having clearance room away from the rectifier issue you may be having.

NOTE: " Plastic Bracket Longevity Concerns"

To Baja Designs - I think I know why you chose plastic extenders. My guess is because of the chance they might come in contact with the Fork Tubes and potentially mar the tubes. However, couldn't you heat up the brain pans of some of your R&R guys and come up with something a little more longer lasting?? I'm a little concerned that your little plastic brackets are going to break eventually from age and abuse leaving us with a dangling headlight in the middle of nowhere. Yep, I know.....I guess that's why we carry 14" zip ties, but I think those brackets could have a little more thought in their engineering. What about a better constructed carbon fiber bracket? I think that would be better than simple acrylic plastic. Just my thoughts here fella's I gotta call 'em as I see 'em.
My light showed up in the post today so thanks the Christian for the quick shipping.

I have to agree that the plastic extender brackets seem a little bit on the frail/brittle side to me but as I have a KTM with a Christini kit I will not be using them as the stock rubber fork strap/mounts are a no go.

My solution is some 7/8" P-Clamps and a some quick mock up with some 1/8" AL:

Drew these up based on the AL mock-ups and will burn out some steel "proof of concept" ones to try out in the next little bit (plate will end up on the outside of the clamps and mask mounts):

jasonmt screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 11:10 AM
jasonmt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #694
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
Hey Christian!

Yep, the adjusters were already set to their fully out, maximum setting. That is the first thing I tried for some extra space.
Thanks for the info, I will pass that information on to R & D and see if they can swap out the nylon spacers for a longer one. Thanks again - Christian
Old 03-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #695
Moto29
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
That's how we do it!

JASONMT: Way to go Buddy! Creative ideas and pictures so that we can all discuss some difficulties and share in the solutions. I too think the plastic extenders are on the pseudo "Cheap and Flimsy" side and would much prefer either aluminum or carbon fiber ones. However, I can see where a metal extender with rubber straps could scratch the fork tubes. Perhaps Baja could bring in some Pizza and a few six-paks of "beverage" to the R&D department and have them re-think a solution for us???? .... Hint?

Moto29 screwed with this post 03-14-2014 at 01:19 AM
Moto29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #696
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
I am about half way done - the right side mount plate is good but the left side required some revisions that I will test out early next week. Once everything looks good in steel I will get some AL versions water jetted or laser cut.

Right Side Mount:

Left Side Mount - too close so it has been changed:

Backside of mount:

How far out from triples:
jasonmt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #697
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,147
I had some brackets from a crashed 8" race light.

Ordered the mounts for the Tecate HID light and made an aluminum plate to tie everything together.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #698
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,412
I added a SXL and dimmer last week to my KTM EXC500. Fantastic folks to work with, quality product, and easy install. I obviously love the amount of light and pattern it throws and the auto dimmer conntected to the high/low beam works like stock, love it!

I hooked the extra wire from the dimmer to the orange ignition wire (below the key). Every other connection was just a sinple plug - no way to mess this job up.

I did some beam adjusting for the little street 17's and am guessing I'll have to aim it again when I swap back on the knobs (21/18) and make it a dirt bike again.

Pre dawn test ride....

I stuck my extra front tube in a (Dirtbikegear bag) in the gap between the mask and speedo. (Thanks Christian!)

I have yet to try the 2 different filters it came with. I'll run it some at night in the woods before messing with those. If your looking to upgrad your KTM lighting this is the way to go - you will not be disipointed. You get exactly what you pay for with this product. Worth every $.
Thanks guys!

King of all Manfu

Colemanfu screwed with this post 03-18-2014 at 10:15 AM
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #699
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 396
I wish BD accepted paypal, Non us CC doesn't work to well it seems.
Trying to get the Sicass handlebar switch and KTM IQ-175 dimmer.

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #700
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noyah View Post
I wish BD accepted paypal, Non us CC doesn't work to well it seems.
Trying to get the Sicass handlebar switch and KTM IQ-175 dimmer.
We do accept paypal, you can call me directly and I can process your order over the phone, (760)-560-2252 extension: 126, thanks - Christian
Old 03-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #701
BunGhoLeo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Just bought a new 2014 KTM 500 EXC, and the lighting sucks. When are the manufactures going to put real lights on our vehicles?

Anyway, I'll be ordering one of these for my bike soon.
BunGhoLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:54 AM   #702
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunGhoLeo View Post
Just bought a new 2014 KTM 500 EXC, and the lighting sucks. When are the manufactures going to put real lights on our vehicles?

At least the '14 uses an H4 bulb.
thetable is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #703
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunGhoLeo View Post

If you want a discount make sure you get ahold of me and i can get you your Squadron or XL!!! Thanks - Christian
Old 03-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #704
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Designs View Post
We do accept paypal, you can call me directly and I can process your order over the phone, (760)-560-2252 extension: 126, thanks - Christian
Thank you for the excellent help with my order!

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #705
ktm raptor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Wicked Ordered the squadron for my KTM 500

I placed my order today for the 3x3 squadron and dimmer kit for my 13' KTM 500 xc-w. Can't wait for this to show up!

Unfortunately I never seen that we could get a discount if we call in to Christian..

Hopefully everything goes smooth with the install, Ill be sure to post some pictures when I get this puppy installed.
ktm raptor is offline   Reply With Quote