User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #736
Dwatson59
n00b

Oddometer: 8
New Squadron XL's Installed on my R1200GSA

I purchased a set of Squadron XL's (wide cornering and spot combo) at the Overland Expo in May. The Baja Design sales reps at the Overland Expo gave demonstrations of their products in a dark rodeo arena for two nights, I was sold after one demo. These lights are incredible. They will come in handy crossing through deer country at night!
I purchased an aftermarket handlebar switch and a second relay, then wired the lights to both be OFF, or Wide Cornering ON, or Wide Cornering and Spot ON. These lights are designed for off road racing and there could be consequences by running these on public roads, but on a lonely dark highway they make the stock lamps seem useless.
When I was installing the system I was in communication with the Baja Reps that sold me the lights. These guys and their company were quick to respond to my questions and very helpful after the sale, Thank You Baja Designs.

David W. Watson
Dwatson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #737
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,034
Hi BD, what is the difference in the Sqaudron LED lights I see on your website.

Namely:

Squadron XL
Squadron XL-R
Squadron Pro
Squadron V2

The descriptions on each don't help that much for a comparison, at least what I could find.

I have been running the original Squadron on my Husaberg FE390 since 2012 and it has been a bulletproof and awesome light and really great for nightime trail riding, or getting out of the woods after a ride runs late.

I now see many more models and the XL I hear is the most powerful of the group.

I now want to run LED lights on my Quest 690 (basically a KTM 450RFR kit) and wondered what could fit in the two standard 3.25" ID round rally light holes. I don't really want to chop into the expensive fairing. I don't want to run any aux lights hanging off the bike or light bars. Thanks.

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #738
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Hi BD, what is the difference in the Sqaudron LED lights I see on your website.

Namely:

Squadron XL
Squadron XL-R
Squadron Pro
Squadron V2

The descriptions on each don't help that much for a comparison, at least what I could find.

I have been running the original Squadron on my Husaberg FE390 since 2012 and it has been a bulletproof and awesome light and really great for nightime trail riding, or getting out of the woods after a ride runs late.

I now see many more models and the XL I hear is the most powerful of the group.

I now want to run LED lights on my Quest 690 (basically a KTM 450RFR kit) and wondered what could fit in the two standard 3.25" ID round rally light holes. I don't really want to chop into the expensive fairing. I don't want to run any aux lights hanging off the bike or light bars. Thanks.

Thanks for the question,
The Squadron Pro is the original Squadron, 3*3 pod with 4 LEDS. Which produce 4300 lumens and draw 42 watts. The Squadron V2 is the is the more economic version of the original Squadron, but still in the same size and style housing. The V2 puts out 3150 lumens and draws 35 watts total. The Squadron XL is different light entirely, even though it still has the same lumens and wattage draw, 4300 and 42, it is much larger and uses highspeed reflectors which will carry the light much farther than the Squadron Pro. And lastly the Squadron XL-R is th same light as the XL just with a round bezel on the front. I hope you found this information helpful, let me know if you need anything else, thanks - Christian
760 560 2252 ext 126 and/or ext.123
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #739
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Christian;
What are the dimensions of the Squadron XL?
Do any of these lights work better with a dimmer or high/low beam for street use?

I am wanting to put one of your lights into this KTM front headlight/number plate with a 8cm X12cm hole;

What light will fit the best? I'll make something up to fill in any holes that your light will not fill.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #740
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Christian;
What are the dimensions of the Squadron XL?
Do any of these lights work better with a dimmer or high/low beam for street use?

I am wanting to put one of your lights into this KTM front headlight/number plate with a 8cm X12cm hole;

What light will fit the best? I'll make something up to fill in any holes that your light will not fill.

Thanks
the Squadron XL is 4.5'' by 4.5'' and 3.5'' deep, you would definitely have to drill through the plastic to make it work. The LEDs we sell are not street legal, many people chose to use them on road, and if they do we tell them to use the Dimmerbox to not blind anyone on the road, thanks - Christian
Old 07-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #741
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,023
I have tried to get through to you on the phone # you have listed three times, left two voicemails. Is there a better way to get through?
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #742
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
I have tried to get through to you on the phone # you have listed three times, left two voicemails. Is there a better way to get through?
Just called and left a voicemail, thanks- Christian, you could also email me at Christian@bajadesigns.com
Old 07-17-2014, 08:41 PM   #743
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Designs View Post
the Squadron XL is 4.5'' by 4.5'' and 3.5'' deep, you would definitely have to drill through the plastic to make it work. The LEDs we sell are not street legal, many people chose to use them on road, and if they do we tell them to use the Dimmerbox to not blind anyone on the road, thanks - Christian
You NEED that dimmer if you're going to be doing anything more than transit sections on the road. A friend of mine best described my XL in his side mirror as being like watching somebody arc weld. Finally hooked up the dimmer, and it brings it down, but it's still putting out light in a strength and pattern equivalent to a normal high beam. In the wooded sections, I can see my headlight on the low beam even in mid-day.

When it gets dark out and nobody is oncoming, the light is AWESOME!!!
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #744
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
You NEED that dimmer if you're going to be doing anything more than transit sections on the road. A friend of mine best described my XL in his side mirror as being like watching somebody arc weld. Finally hooked up the dimmer, and it brings it down, but it's still putting out light in a strength and pattern equivalent to a normal high beam. In the wooded sections, I can see my headlight on the low beam even in mid-day.

When it gets dark out and nobody is oncoming, the light is AWESOME!!!
Thanks for the input.........looks like the Squadron Pro is the light for my application.......no need to drill the number plate, I'll just find a way to mount it off of the lower triple clamp.

Cheers
Old 07-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #745
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Just called and left a voicemail, thanks- Christian, you could also email me at Christian@bajadesigns.com
Got it, sent you an email. Thanks again!
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #746
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:
We can repair your light if you purchased directly, PM me and I can get the repair process started for you, thanks - Christian
Does this mean you don't support Baja Design lights that were purchased from third-party vendors? For example Amazon and Ebay? What exactly does your lifetime warranty cover?
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #747
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,034
Quote:
Thanks for the question,
The Squadron Pro is the original Squadron, 3*3 pod with 4 LEDS. Which produce 4300 lumens and draw 42 watts. The Squadron V2 is the is the more economic version of the original Squadron, but still in the same size and style housing. The V2 puts out 3150 lumens and draws 35 watts total. The Squadron XL is different light entirely, even though it still has the same lumens and wattage draw, 4300 and 42, it is much larger and uses highspeed reflectors which will carry the light much farther than the Squadron Pro. And lastly the Squadron XL-R is th same light as the XL just with a round bezel on the front. I hope you found this information helpful, let me know if you need anything else, thanks - Christian
Thanks Christian, yes that was very helpful. It's still my quest to find LED lights that will fit a 3.25" round hole, which a 3 x 3 square won't, at least not easily.

Former Dakar finisher Lyndon Poskitt (Pyndon on ADV) says he has two Squadrons on his Round The World Rally bike. I need to ask him how he fit them in basically the same fairing as mine.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #748
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Does this mean you don't support Baja Design lights that were purchased from third-party vendors? For example Amazon and Ebay? What exactly does your lifetime warranty cover?
I bought mine direct because of the ADV discount, which turned out to be less than Fleabay, ect.

BD are supposedly working on my Squadron this week - replacing the power cable with the updated version, and also swapping the two lower elements for floods (I had 4 spots). Hope to get it back next week. I miss my pumpkin.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #749
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Our lifetime warranty covers anything we manufacture. Within 90 of original purchase direct from us, we will pay for the shipping to and from us. Anything purchased from a third party, you will have to pay shipping to and from us. We will repair your light and warranty your light/ product for reasons such as manufacture defects, and or faulty parts. Our warranty does not cover crash damage, installation or user error, thanks - Christian
Old 08-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #750
BT4Stroke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Never did get an answer to my question?

Baja Squadron XL

I was checking to see if you made the retro kit Squadron XL like the one for the KTM's that would work for the Honda CRF450X headlight shell. I saw it listed on the side of one of the Squadron Boxes?
BT4Stroke is offline   Reply With Quote