User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2014, 07:46 AM   #751
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 844
Advice for connecting Squadron with two Quad Cree LR4 aux lights

I'm wondering what the best way of wiring a Squadron LED with two Quad Cree LR4 auxillary lights with the Skene Dimmer.

Skene's dimmer can handle a max of 6 amps per channel or 12 amps in parallel.

Quote:
The controller has two channels, each of which can power a 72 watt/6 amp load. The two channels can be connected in parallel to power a combined load of 144 watts/12 amps. The lamps can be connected through a fuse directly to the vehicle's battery. No separate relay is required, as the controller performs this function. This simplifies wiring, eliminates extra components, and improves reliability compared to the traditional relay wiring harness. http://mondomotos.com/SK175
Squadron: 3.6 amps (source)
Quad Cree LR4: 2.6 amps each (5.2 amps for the pair).

What I'd like is to engage Low Beam and make the Squadron and LR4s come on in a dimmed mode. When I engage High Beam, both Squadron and LR4's come on at full power.

Is this a simple matter of running my Squadron off of one of the blue leads, and the LR4 pair off the other? 5.2amps is close to the Skene limit of 6 amps per lead.

Suggestions/advice?
Old 08-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #752
jskene
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
In response to your question on driving these 3 lamps, it is best to connect the two blue wires from the IQ-175 dimmer together, then connect them to the negative leads of all 3 lamps.
Connecting them in parallel like this will balance the load across both of the IQ-175 channels.

We have updated our website to clarify this.

Jerry Skene
-
Skene Design
Old 08-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #753
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskene View Post
In response to your question on driving these 3 lamps, it is best to connect the two blue wires from the IQ-175 dimmer together, then connect them to the negative leads of all 3 lamps.
Connecting them in parallel like this will balance the load across both of the IQ-175 channels.

Jerry Skene
-
Skene Design
Thanks for the quick response!
Old 08-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #754
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT4Stroke View Post
Never did get an answer to my question?

Baja Squadron XL

I was checking to see if you made the retro kit Squadron XL like the one for the KTM's that would work for the Honda CRF450X headlight shell. I saw it listed on the side of one of the Squadron Boxes?

I'm pretty sure the XL is physically way to big to fit the 450X mask. The regular Squadron looks like a tight fit. That being said, I know a guy who cut up his 450X mask to accept the XL but it was a DIY project.

(fyi: I have no affiliation with BD, I'm just replying to your question)
Goofy Footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #755
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Never did get an answer to my question?

Baja Squadron XL

I was checking to see if you made the retro kit Squadron XL like the one for the KTM's that would work for the Honda CRF450X headlight shell. I saw it listed on the side of one of the Squadron Boxes?
We only offer the Squadron XL in the 2008- 2013 and 2014- on KTMS and the 2012-2015 WR450Fs. We offer the Squadron Pro for the Crf450X and 05-07 KTMS. Thanks - Christian
760 560 2252 ext 126 and/or ext.123
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #756
BT4Stroke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Thank you for your response, I asked the question because on the back of the Squadron XL box under the Model line #3 it has it listed
Squadron XL ( Honda CRF/X)
BT4Stroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #757
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,369
Quote:
Thank you for your response, I asked the question because on the back of the Squadron XL box under the Model line #3 it has it listed
My guess would be that it was a project idea that they had in the works when the packaging was being printed, but the actual light never came to be.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #758
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
It was a product we were testing but the housing for the XL is much too large for the Crf/X headlight shell, thanks - Christian
Old 08-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #759
BT4Stroke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Thanks
BT4Stroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:09 AM   #760
MaxThePanda
Psycho Panda

Oddometer: 82
Please excuse me if I've made some glaring errors here, but it's my first crack at bike wiring. I'm setting up a KTM 450 XCW 2013 with 2 squadrons in an HDB fairing. On low beam, I want only the wide cornering squadron to come on at 50%, and both squadrons to come on at 100% on high beam. For this reason I'm wanting to wire the Skene controller only into the low beam and use a separate relay for the high beam.

I'm using an HDB top clamp, and want to allocate one of the switches there to override power to the lights completely, in case I have some battery issues on the road and need to save power.

So, here's my schematic - new fused power direct from the battery. The push button on/off switch on the top clamp sends power to the Skene 175 for low beam, and sits in series before the high beam switch to isolate the high beam.

Then the high beam push button on/off switch on the bars sends power to the high beam relay, and also tells the Skene to send full power to the low beam (both blue wires wired together).

Have I got it right here? The yellow wire isn't used at all, from what I can make out, in this configuration. I'm way away in South Africa and can't afford to fry components, so wanting to make sure I get it right first time.

(Oh, I'm wanting to use 1 LED on the top clamp to tell me lights are on, and one to tell me brights are on - I'm stealing 1 LED from my Hella plug switch)

thanks
Ian

MaxThePanda screwed with this post 08-18-2014 at 03:18 AM
MaxThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:16 PM   #761
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Cannot separate top and bottom bulbs?

It seems odd that the Squadron can be ordered with the spot lenses on top and flood/wide lenses on bottom but you cannot power them separately. This would be ideal for the street with low beam lighting the bottom 2 bulbs and high beam lighting all 4.

I am looking to replace my broken TrailTech X2 and since I have the stock headlight I was considering replacing the light assembly with a squadron pro. That or I will leave the light stock and get a couple of auxiliary lights for night time riding (which will only be on road, no trail at night). To be truthful I only need extra light for riding at night since the stock light works great for daytime and trail riding as an aid to being visible to others. Auxiliary lights would just be something extra that can break, but would definitely provide the needed light. I'm thinking a couple of 2.5" leds on either side of the headlight aimed correctly.

Since I have replaced my stator already with a TT unit, all DC, will it work fine for the Squadron? I don't see the dimmer kit on the BD website, do you sell it there?

I was just riding last week with someone with the squadron mounted on his 525 and liked the amount of light but the dimmer feature was lacking, probably a programming issue. Since I have a 2009 530EXC, can I use the factory light switch to energize the Squadron?
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #762
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
It seems odd that the Squadron can be ordered with the spot lenses on top and flood/wide lenses on bottom but you cannot power them separately. This would be ideal for the street with low beam lighting the bottom 2 bulbs and high beam lighting all 4.

I am looking to replace my broken TrailTech X2 and since I have the stock headlight I was considering replacing the light assembly with a squadron pro. That or I will leave the light stock and get a couple of auxiliary lights for night time riding (which will only be on road, no trail at night). To be truthful I only need extra light for riding at night since the stock light works great for daytime and trail riding as an aid to being visible to others. Auxiliary lights would just be something extra that can break, but would definitely provide the needed light. I'm thinking a couple of 2.5" leds on either side of the headlight aimed correctly.

Since I have replaced my stator already with a TT unit, all DC, will it work fine for the Squadron? I don't see the dimmer kit on the BD website, do you sell it there?

I was just riding last week with someone with the squadron mounted on his 525 and liked the amount of light but the dimmer feature was lacking, probably a programming issue. Since I have a 2009 530EXC, can I use the factory light switch to energize the Squadron?
Our lights are intended for off-road use, seeing as no LEDs are DOT approved. There for we do not offer them with a sequence high/ low beam. The Dimmer box is the only option for those riders who choose to use this light on road: http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=660088
As long as you have enough dc power supplied to the light and running a DC rectifier you should be able to power the Squadron XL or Pro.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #763
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Designs View Post
Our lights are intended for off-road use, seeing as no LEDs are DOT approved.
Are you refering to the motorcycle market? I have a trucklite headlight for my BMW R1100gs that is LED and DOT approved. It does have high/low beam.
Quote:
There for we do not offer them with a sequence high/ low beam. The Dimmer box is the only option for those riders who choose to use this light on road: http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=660088
As long as you have enough dc power supplied to the light and running a DC rectifier you should be able to power the Squadron XL or Pro.
Is the XL model available as an adapter kit to the stock headshell like the Pro version? Can they be ordered with the wide and spot combo lens or is that only an extra purchase?
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #764
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
Are you refering to the motorcycle market? I have a trucklite headlight for my BMW R1100gs that is LED and DOT approved. It does have high/low beam.

Is the XL model available as an adapter kit to the stock headshell like the Pro version? Can they be ordered with the wide and spot combo lens or is that only an extra purchase?
The trucklite headlights are meant for licensed cars not off-road motocycles or trophy trucks and buggies like our lights are. And the Squadron XL is available for the KTM headlight shell: http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=500009
Old 09-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #765
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskene View Post

Jerry Skene
-
Skene Design
My IQ-175 failed this weekend in the mountains. Was able to bypass the dimmer and have some lighting to drive home.

As posted here, max amperage on the lighting(dimmed) circuit is ~9, and definitely not equal to or more than 12. Per instruction, both blue wires were tied together for a balanced load across both lights. The rest was wired exactly per diagram provided with the IQ-175 - including 10a fuse on the main supply line. My battery never went dead, no fuses blew, and both LR4's and Squadron work perfectly when wired direct. Could I have a bad dimmer?