Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #106
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,906
I agree that the OEM one is better, specially on the 08+ bikes.

It looks like the mounting bracket was designed to fit the shape of the Polisport and not other masks.

From the looks of it it might fit the older (2007 and older) KTM masks since they have a flatter face. I doubt it will fit the 08+ bikes since the headlight maskl has a pretty raked angle.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #107
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
The version I received looks a bit different. Note the different mounting and electrical connector. Maybe mine was a prototype?

Old 01-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #108
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Oddometer: 507
Hey guys the one Yellow Pig posted is our Tecate mount which is a little more expensive, the one you have MJS is more compatible with different fork sizes hence the adjustable rubber mounts(they can go much smaller). Both great products it really all depends on the riders preference, fork size, what type of riding the rider does, and riding conditions. Also if you guys could post some pics with them on the bike that would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Gordon BD
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #109
MOTARDJUNKIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Designs View Post
Hey guys the one Yellow Pig posted is our Tecate mount which is a little more expensive, the one you have MJS is more compatible with different fork sizes hence the adjustable rubber mounts(they can go much smaller). Both great products it really all depends on the riders preference, fork size, what type of riding the rider does, and riding conditions. Also if you guys could post some pics with them on the bike that would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Gordon BD

Can you let us know if your putting these into a stock ktm mask or orange polisport? Either way I'm getting one in a few weeks along with the dc conversion and tail light.
MOTARDJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #110
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

The Shell we use is a Polisport MMX shell, let me know if you have any questions about it, also when you are ready feel free to give me a call.

(760)560-2252 EXT.124
Thanks,

Gordon BD
Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #111
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Pictures on the bike (2010 Husky 310)

With the BD shell

I didn't like how the shell was forward of the stock mount. It doesn't look bad but the wide spacing of the forks made the mounting tabs bend inward to the shell and they seemed to have a bit of flex. Nothing that would lead to cracking, it just seemed as if they would allow the light to vibrate a bit more then I wanted. Also, the clearance between the forks and the tank is very close. The rubber mounting straps would hit the Safari tank and limit the fork turning. In the picture I have turned the straps around for maximum sweep before they hit the tank. There was still a 1/4" gap between the steering stop and the bottom triple clamp. This would not be an issue with the stock tank. Here is a view of the mounting tabs.

While the stock headlight does not use the same mounting points as the Squadron, the stock shell had the necessary screw bosses. The stock shell sits back towards the forks and the clearance behind the light is less. Carefully re-routing and bundling of the electrical harness provided enough space between the Squadron and the frame. Here are some pictures with the stock headlight shell.

The turn signals were previously modified to clear the Safari tank. With the BD shell the turn signals could be mounted higher. My original plan was to mount a pair of the BD LED signals on the BD shell.

MJS screwed with this post 01-24-2012 at 11:33 AM
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #112
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Looks awesome thanks for the Pics and the info we really appreciate it.

BD
Old 01-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #113
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Squadron in Stock Headlight Shell

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to keep you updated, sorry it took me so long to respond to some inquires, but here are the updates for Squadron stock housing kit for headlight shells. If you have any questions feel free to ask, for those not interested in the stock headlight shell mount, we do have the Squadron in multicolored Polisport shells, which MJS was nice enough to show mounted.

Thanks,

Gordon BD

08-2011 KTM - 4 weeks

2012 KTM - 4 weeks

CRF 450x - 6-7 weeks
Old 01-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #114
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Hey guys, we are discussing making tube style mounts for the Squadron for your adventure bikes and we were wondering what type of mounts you are using now or what you think of the idea? Also what kind of bike do you have that you would be interested in putting the Squadron on, year, make, and model? Thanks guys I really appreciate any information or feedback you could provide.

Gordon

BD
Old 01-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #115
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

2010 KTM 530 XC-W

Before:

After:

Only issue us that it does not work to well w/ this series of KTM. The lower mounting strap touches the ECU and limits steering lock quite a bit on the left side. I would also be afraid of falling and having the pressure break the ECU.

This is not gonna be a problem in my case since I'm mounting the Squadron like this:

I like that the headlight sits higher so I can run my tube bag and not have it interfere w/ the light:

Light output seems very good. The LEDs they used have a nice warm color, which I prefer over the more white/blue LEDs.

For a low beam I'm working on a couple of options. For now I've got this set-up going:

Day shot, high beam:

Day shot, low beam:
Old 01-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #116
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Awesome Pictures!! You are going to love your night rides, I am going to PM you tomorrow about the shell sticker, we will have them soon so I will ship you one.

Thanks again,

Gordon
Old 01-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #117
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Gordon,

Why all the different connectors?IF YP has not changed his, that's 3 different types. (Looking closely, it appears YP may have changed his connector to get the high and low-beam circuits from the stock harness) I know I'd certainly prefer the WeatherPac over the other types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post

Quote:
Quote:

MJS screwed with this post 01-25-2012 at 05:32 PM
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #118
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Designs View Post
Awesome Pictures!! You are going to love your night rides, I am going to PM you tomorrow about the shell sticker, we will have them soon so I will ship you one.

Thanks again,

Gordon
That would be great Gordon!

Was already looking around for a solution to that today.

Thanks, Dan

Yellow Pig screwed with this post 01-25-2012 at 06:20 PM
Yellow Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #119
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Mine came with the connector of the white mask in the middle (pictured above).
I changed mine oiut to the 4 pin you see in the pictures because I'm going to run a hi/low light and needed to change the connector and that is all I could source locally.

Hey Gordon,

My light came w/ a solid aluminum mounting bezel, while all the others I have seen so far have holes.

Why is this? Is it just a case of pre vs post production lights.

I actualy prefer the solid since it keeps the dirt out better, but was just curious.

Holes:

VS

Solid:

Yellow Pig screwed with this post 01-25-2012 at 06:22 PM
Yellow Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #120
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Hey Gordon, I noticed that most of the squadrons pictured so far have the aluminum mount that surronds the light w/ holes, while mine is solid.

Is this a case of pre/post production versions?