User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
lmyamen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
PIcking up my first airhead this weekend, R90/6 Pictures included

Thought I would introduce myself with my first post here. I am making a drive to Chicago this weekend to pick up my new to me bike. Found this R90/6 via craigslist and after a bit of conversation with the owner I am bringing a trailer Saturday and loading it up. The bike will be my winter project, planning on taking it apart repainting the frame black, and am going to paint the bike white, beyond that I will fix/replace any maintenance areas that need attention. Here is a picture of the bike as it sits not.

lmyamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,344
I like your taste in bikes and colours.

Have fun, it looks like a good one.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Beater
Blinded by Science

Oddometer: 2,881
Nice! I see it's marking it's territory!

Welcome to the Asylum!
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Craiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
I sent the guy 3 emails and never heard back from him as the bike was about 3 hours away.... Congrats on your purchase...
Old 11-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
lmyamen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
I sent the guy 3 emails and never heard back from him as the bike was about 3 hours away.... Congrats on your purchase...
Yeah its about a 5 hour drive for me. I sent multiple emails to with out hearing anything back. Then finally yesterday I got a reply that they had been out of town. Got his # last night and worked out the deal.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
Craiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyamen View Post
Yeah its about a 5 hour drive for me. I sent multiple emails to with out hearing anything back. Then finally yesterday I got a reply that they had been out of town. Got his # last night and worked out the deal.
Looks like the bike is headed to someone who will appreciate it. Best of luck with her
Old 11-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
east high
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 934
Does the monkey box come with it? I keed. I was looking for a /6 before I decided on a /5.

Be mindful of that oil leak. If it's a stripped pan bolt (pretty common) you'll need to helicoil it. Be sure to use a jig to keep the drill plumb.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,966
I was going to guess a 1974 because of the Aluminum turn signal but the rear signals seem to be missing and the brake disk does look drilled, not sure tho. There is also no kick starter so I think a '75 or '76.

Could be a low mileage gem, how many miles?

Oil leak looks like the trans drain plug from here. You'll definitely have to tell us where that spot came from.

Plug wires look incorrect. May be a problem. Check to see the caps have at least a thousand ohms of resistance. Some will use non resister caps with resister plugs. That works also but the resistance is supposed to be in the caps and the plugs are supposed to be non-resister. The important thing is at least 1000 ohms. Can be as high as 5000 ohms.

Pretty bike except for the color. It'll look better painted white.

Welcome.

Charlie
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I was going to guess a 1974 because of the Aluminum turn signal but the rear signals seem to be missing and the brake disk does look drilled, not sure tho. There is also no kick starter so I think a '75 or '76.
That doesn't look like a BMW turn signal to me.. Agreed about the rest.

Edit: Oh, and where's the OP from? 5 hours from Chicago could be my neck of the woods.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,344
The turn signal's in the wrong place and appears to be from a '70's ujm. Funky looking shocks, too.

But on the whole, it's a good looking bike.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #11
lmyamen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Miles are not clear the odometer stopped working last year, the bike itself is a 1976. I appreciate all the tips and things to watch out for. I am from Des Moines IA
Old 11-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
jsullivan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyamen View Post
going to paint the bike white
I actually kind of love that color scheme. Want to swap your tins for some monza blue stuff to paint white?

jsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
oz_airhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Resistance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post

Could be a low mileage gem, how many miles?

Oil leak looks like the trans drain plug from here. You'll definitely have to tell us where that spot came from.

Plug wires look incorrect. May be a problem. Check to see the caps have at least a thousand ohms of resistance. Some will use non resister caps with resister plugs. That works also but the resistance is supposed to be in the caps and the plugs are supposed to be non-resister. The important thing is at least 1000 ohms. Can be as high as 5000 ohms.

Pretty bike except for the color. It'll look better painted white.

Welcome.

Charlie
G'day Charlie.

Just a query about the plug wire/cap/plug resistance. (sorry for the hijack) I run stock points ignition on my /6 with non resistive plugs and use 0 ohm plug caps and wire. Works fine.

I was under the impression that if you used points you could use 0 ohms, but with anysort of electronics you need to use some sort of resistance.

Cheers

OZ.
oz_airhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,966
Well, I'm no expert on it either. I mostly spout stuff that has been drilled into my skull by others. I believe this is right though, the points ignition should have 1000 ohms. Electronic ignitions should have 5000 ohms. Here is some stuff on Snowbum's web page. He has done a lot of testing and work in electronics and on BMW Airhead motorcycles. The bottom line is that Snowbum says to have resistance and so that's how I do it. He gets into a lot of the esoteria of this subject. Actually he always rambles this way.

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/sparkplugs.htm

If you still don't think this is right I won't be able to actually argue the point. As long as it runs I guess the main draw back would be radio interference.

I use the electronic wires with 5000 ohms on my R90/6 with stock points. It works fine.

Charlie
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #15
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsullivan View Post
I actually kind of love that color scheme.
Me too. White is okay but the oem oddball colors set these bikes properly in their period and aren't seen every day.

Live with it for awhile before repainting it.

Congrats on the nice find!
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote