ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2005, 03:17 PM   #1
DukeII OP
Bavarian Oil Cooler

Oddometer: 19
Jarre Canyon Road?

Okay, so being the CO noob that I am, I rode the Duke from the 'Springs up to Deckers today, but chickened out on turning right to head towards Sedalia on Jarre Canyon Road (Hwy 67). It looks good on the map... so my question... how is it?

In absence of clearly defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily acts of trivia. -- Unknown

Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy. -- George Carlin
DukeII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:07 PM   #2
Esteban
Banned

Oddometer: 5,799
four miles of wet dirt
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:23 PM   #3
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,932
Look at Esteban's ride report "Colorado Snow and Ice", page 2, the last pic in my post- that's it...
Old 05-05-2005, 02:50 PM   #4
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeII
Okay, so being the CO noob that I am, I rode the Duke from the 'Springs up to Deckers today, but chickened out on turning right to head towards Sedalia on Jarre Canyon Road (Hwy 67). It looks good on the map... so my question... how is it?
Duke:
If you're asking if it's passable, based on this spring's snow, someone has already answered your question. If you're asking about the road in general, it's fine - just a dirt and gravel road. I've seen Harleys on it, you could ride it blindflolded. While it's just an attractive ride on a dirt road, there are some trails off from it. Especially up near the Sprucewood Inn, so you can get in several types of riding on a trip up this road.

If you're leaving from ColoSpgs, and are heading to Deckers, a better ride (if you like the dirt) than going up Hwy 24 is to ride to Monument, take Mt. Herman Rd. over to Woodland Park (pretty dirt road, but be careful for 4wheel traffic on sunny Saturdays & Sundays), then 67 from Woodland Park to Deckers, then up to Sedalia, 105 back south to Monument and then home.

Hwy 105 may be paved, but it's one of the nicest road rides you'll take. If you can't find Mt. Herman Rd, PM me and I'll send you directions.

Good luck,
Hannda
'04 KLR 650
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,518
Two Options

As you leave Deckers heading north towards Sedalia you have 2 road choices to get there. The first is about 5-6 miles north of Deckers. Just before a bridge. If you turn right there you've got 7+ miles of dirt road (easy) to get to the Sprucewood Inn (the beginning of the pavement).

However, if you continue straight for another 5 miles or so you can turn right at that point and you've only got 3.2 miles of dirt to the Sprucewood Inn. Including one 7% hill that looks mondo but is a pussycat.

From the Sprucewood Inn it's pavement east all the way to Sedalia. Just west of Sedalia catch 67 south to Palmer Lake and Monument and you've got a nice loop.

I've not yet been up there this spring, but I ride this road 25+ times per year during the riding season.

Tom

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 05-08-2005 at 07:08 AM
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 05:21 PM   #6
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,519
I've not yet been up there this spring, but I ride this road 25+ times per year during the riding season.

Tom[/QUOTE]
Rode it today. Bone dry and the smoothest I've seen it. Rampart Roadis still closed, as are the trails off of it, and still scheduled for opening on 5/13. Mt. Herman Road was open and in good condition, but tails off of it still have too much snow for riding. They'll probably be open in two more weeks if the weather holds.
Hannda
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote