ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
eyedragaknee OP
McGuyver

Oddometer: 2,317
Do you need a license plate on a MC trailer in NC?

Conflicting stories.

Assuming all the lights are working, is it Mandatory to plate a small utility trailer in NC?

I was told under 4000lbs, NO. We just do it because we thought we needed to and production trailers with a title come with a place for a plate and a title.

Any input that can be backed up?

Thanks

EDK
eyedragaknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,052
I lived in NC for 40 years and I never heard of not plating a trailer.

Could be wrong though... Why not just call DMV?

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,474
Okay, first of all, I have no idea to the answer.

Some things worth considering, though:

Even if it's somehow not required to have a plate on a vehicle on public roads, is it really worth getting stopped however many times a day and explaining the laws to the cops who don't know about it, just to save a few bucks a year on registration?

If you're pulling a trailer behind your car/truck, you're technically operating your car/truck with its license plate obscured, which will probably also get you a ticket.

I agree that the best thing to do is call the DMV and ask them. Granted, the staff at the DMV are about the most clueless people ever when it comes to laws, but I can't think of any place better to ask.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,629
A quick Google search for "private trailer registration laws in North Carolina" revealed that unless you are a farmer hauling farming stuff to and from your farm you need to register the trailer.

This is a Louisiana web page but has all the states listed...and also states...
North Carolina: Title and registration required.

http://www.dps.state.la.us/omv1.nsf/...0?OpenDocument

Don't hold me to this as this IS the internet, but I'd be safe to say you will have to register it.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
mriderleon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Google is your friend

It took 10 minutes or more, but quoted below is the relevant portion of Chapter 20 of the NC motor vehicle code.

All of Chapter 20 can be found at http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedl...hapter_20.html

More research is needed to see if the "nonresidents" portion of (1) below might apply. An example is that SC does not require small trailers to be licensed. If you are a SC resident you may bring your trailer to NC for the weekend and return. But, you need to comply with your own state's laws. It might be prudent to have a copy with you if you're in a county that doesn't border your own state.

20‑51. Exempt from registration. The following shall be exempt from the requirement of registration and certificate of title:
(1) Any such vehicle driven or moved upon a highway in conformance with the provisions of this Article relating to manufacturers, dealers, or nonresidents.
(2) Any such vehicle which is driven or moved upon a highway only for the purpose of crossing such highway from one property to another.
(3) Any implement of husbandry, farm tractor, road construction or maintenance machinery or other vehicle which is not self‑propelled that was designed for use in work off the highway and which is operated on the highway for the purpose of going to and from such nonhighway projects.
(4) Any vehicle owned and operated by the government of the United States.
(5) Farm tractors equipped with rubber tires and trailers or semitrailers when attached thereto and when used by a farmer, his tenant, agent, or employee in transporting his own farm implements, farm supplies, or farm products from place to place on the same farm, from one farm to another, from farm to market, or from market to farm. This exemption shall extend also to any tractor, implement of husbandry, and trailer or semitrailer while on any trip within a radius of 10 miles from the point of loading, provided that the vehicle does not exceed a speed of 35 miles per hour. This section shall not be construed as granting any exemption to farm tractors, implements of husbandry, and trailers or semitrailers which are operated on a for‑hire basis, whether money or some other thing of value is paid or given for the use of such tractors, implements of husbandry, and trailers or semitrailers.
(6) Any trailer or semitrailer attached to and drawn by a properly licensed motor vehicle when used by a farmer, his tenant, agent, or employee in transporting unginned cotton, peanuts, soybeans, corn, hay, tobacco, silage, cucumbers, potatoes, all vegetables, fruits, greenhouse and nursery plants and flowers, Christmas trees, fertilizers or chemicals purchased or owned by the farmer or tenant for personal use in implementing husbandry, irrigation pipes, loaders, or equipment owned by the farmer or tenant from place to place on the same farm, from one farm to another, from farm to gin, from farm to dryer, or from farm to market, and when not operated on a for‑hire basis. The term "transporting" as used herein shall include the actual hauling of said products and all unloaded travel in connection therewith.
(7) Those small farm trailers known generally as tobacco‑handling trailers, tobacco trucks or tobacco trailers when used by a farmer, his tenant, agent or employee, when transporting or otherwise handling tobacco in connection with the pulling, tying or curing thereof.
(8) Any vehicle which is driven or moved upon a highway only for the purpose of crossing or traveling upon such highway from one side to the other provided the owner or lessee of the vehicle owns the fee or a leasehold in all the land along both sides of the highway at the place or crossing.
(9) Mopeds as defined in G.S. 20‑4.01(27)d1.
(10) Devices which are designed for towing private passenger motor vehicles or vehicles not exceeding 5,000 pounds gross weight. These devices are known generally as "tow dollies." A tow dolly is a two‑wheeled device without motive power designed for towing disabled motor vehicles and is drawn by a motor vehicle in the same manner as a trailer.
(11) Devices generally called converter gear or dollies consisting of a tongue attached to either a single or tandem axle upon which is mounted a fifth wheel and which is used to convert a semitrailer to a full trailer for the purpose of being drawn behind a truck tractor and semitrailer.
(12) Motorized wheelchairs or similar vehicles not exceeding 1,000 pounds gross weight when used for pedestrian purposes by a handicapped person with a mobility impairment as defined in G.S. 20‑37.5.
(13) Any vehicle registered in another state and operated temporarily within this State by a public utility, a governmental or cooperative provider of utility services, or a contractor for one of these entities for the purpose of restoring utility services in an emergency outage.
(14) Electric personal assistive mobility devices as defined in G.S. 20‑4.01(7a).

Leon.
mriderleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
ncTRAILBOSS
A52 TOUR GUIDE

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedragaknee View Post
Conflicting stories.

Assuming all the lights are working, is it Mandatory to plate a small utility trailer in NC?

I was told under 4000lbs, NO. We just do it because we thought we needed to and production trailers with a title come with a place for a plate and a title.

Any input that can be backed up?

Thanks

EDK
Ahhh,don't fret over it.Just pull out yer old man card if you're stopped.
ncTRAILBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncTRAILBOSS View Post
Ahhh,don't fret over it.Just pull out yer old man card if you're stopped.
Better yet, get the wife/girlfriend to drive.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
moymurfs

Oddometer: 2,154
Yes, it will need the Certificate of Origin (if it's brand new) converted to a NCDMV Certificate of Title and then, a plate registered to it. Go ahead and get the multi-year tag. One fee and your done worrying about it forever. I have a small 4x8 utility trailer that I use for the bike. Trailer needs all lights to function properly but doesn't require an inspection.

moymurfs screwed with this post 12-02-2011 at 03:32 AM
moymurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #9
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
Okay, first of all, I have no idea to the answer.

Some things worth considering, though:

Even if it's somehow not required to have a plate on a vehicle on public roads, is it really worth getting stopped however many times a day and explaining the laws to the cops who don't know about it, just to save a few bucks a year on registration?

If you're pulling a trailer behind your car/truck, you're technically operating your car/truck with its license plate obscured, which will probably also get you a ticket.

I agree that the best thing to do is call the DMV and ask them. Granted, the staff at the DMV are about the most clueless people ever when it comes to laws, but I can't think of any place better to ask.
Actually yes it is. In SC Utility trailers are nor required to have a tag. Why would I give away money to the state that I don't have to??? I've never been stopped by a LEO in any state for not having a tag on my trailer. IF for some reason I were to be stopped for it its as easy as explaining it to the LEO and if they insist on still issuing a ticket, they will be the ones that look like idiots when I call the court/judge and inform them of the non-requirement for a tag on my trailer and site the relative SC-Code.

Damn Govts get too much of my money as it is. No reason to give them one red penny more than I have to.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:15 AM   #10
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,097
I had my plate stolen off both of my trailers, (boat and utility/motorcycle) a few years back.
I called the DMV and notified them of them being stolen, they were "lifetime" plates.
I couldn't get them replaced online I think because they were lifetime, could only swap to two year?
Or something like that.
So i called, reported them stolen, and then still have to go by the DMV to deal with them to get new plates.
I think it's been 3 or 4 years for the boat trailer?
And almost 2 years for the utility trailer?
I've been pulled over for speeding with the utility trailer, cop gave me a warning for speeding, didn't say anything or ask about the plate for the trailer.

I still have the registration etc for both, so figure worst case it will be a fix it ticket, and I can deal with the DMV then. (I'm REALLY lazy)
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #11
Pat Ventures
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs View Post
Yes, it will need the Certificate of Origin (if it's brand new) converted to a NCDMV Certificate of Title and then, a plate registered to it. Go ahead and get the multi-year tag. One fee and your done worrying about it forever. I have a small 4x8 utility trailer that I use for the bike. Trailer needs all lights to function properly but doesn't require an inspection.

This pretty much. In NC any property carrying trailer needs a tag. example: A mobile pig cooker on wheels does not need a tag. If you are carrying a pig in the cooker you need a tag & registration.
Pat Ventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,105
There is nothing you can do in North Carolina without paying the state government a fee / tax.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
There is nothing you can do in North Carolina without paying the state government a fee / tax.
.. man you ain't kidding there .. yeesh ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote