Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
netsuke OP
netsuke

Oddometer: 36
My '86 r80 g/s pd

Hi everyone,
lurked for a while, joined, lurked again and back again.. more hapeless then ever when it comes to using forums.
Can you tell me how to start a thread please ? After years or riding BMWs r1150 gs / gsa / gse and R1200 gsa, I have decided to step back in time (I don't ride that much anymore) and bought an '86 r80 g/s pd with less than 40000km and it is in showroom condition. I intend to customize it a bit but strictly no permanent mods such as modifying the frame or the engine. .. So I'd like to pick people's brains to learn what is feasible and reversible : forks, swing arm..Trying to find the right thread, please point me in the right direction. Thank you.
Attached Images

netsuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:32 AM   #2
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,643
Looks like you found the right spot - welcome.
Nice find looks totaly unmolested.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:55 AM   #3
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,480
all depends how you want to use it. with it being in such nice condition, I doubt you are going to be beating the snot out of it in the woods. if it were me, I'd upgrade the rear shock, maybe get some better fork springs and oil up front, a set of handgaurds perhaps, and I can't ride a motorcycle without bags, so that would be on my list.
great looking bike! makes me want to dig mine out and start restoring it!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
netsuke OP
netsuke

Thanks Ruksta, good suggestions Bikerfish. You are right, am not going to beat the hell our it but it'll still do some easy dirt around my fav haunts (Flinders, Innamicka, Williams Creek and beyond). If possible, I'd like to put tubeless rims on it (lifted from an r100gs). At the rear, this would mean changing from the 3 lug mono to the 4 lug para : has anyone done that ? Is it possible to swap a mono for a para without modifying the frame ? Alternatively, I guess I could find another mono wheel hub and have it laced on a tubeless rim ? but I don't know how many spokes the tubeless wheel has.. and that rim is only 17" so it might have an impact on revs and speed, and it is wider so I don;t know if there will be enough clearance...
At the front, it might mean changing the whole fork. Again, is it feasible without mods .. I've heard that the r100gs fork will bolt straight on. Have also seen a suzuki fork on a pic somewhere in the forum.
Lots of question, too many in fact, but any advice welcome !
Old 11-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,424
You're going to have some problems lacing a BMW tubeless rim onto a mono hub. The mono hubs have the spoke heads in the hubs and the nipples in the rim. The tubeless rims are the other way around. A GS rear wheel can be modified to fit a later 4 lug mono final drive. The later mono final drive is available in a few higher gear ratios as well as the original 37:11 G/S ratio.

Yes, the GS forks do bolt right on, but you'll need a GS front wheel and brake setup to bolt on as well. I had a GS front end on my ST and it was a huge improvement.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,843
Someone's got to say it, so here goes...

Original R80G/S-PD's are hotter than R90S's on the collector radar, and that one's a looker

Save it for Sunday best and go get yourself an R100GS to thrash around and live out your tubeless airhead bush-whacker fantasies.

I'm just trying to help.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
Tanami
Under The Weather

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Someone's got to say it, so here goes...

Original R80G/S-PD's are hotter than R90S's on the collector radar, and that one's a looker

Save it for Sunday best and go get yourself an R100GS to thrash around and live out your tubeless airhead bush-whacker fantasies.

I'm just trying to help.

I'll follow that up. Sure dont wont to preach to you but your post is mighty hard to read. You have scored a golden bike, and the changes you want would make it easier and (most significantly) cheaper even to go out and buy a r100gs with the scratches and nicks already in place. You can mess with that bike, hell it yours to do what you want. But I'm gonna cry.
Tanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsuke View Post
any advice welcome !
My only advice is to ask yourself why you want to hack such a nice looking bike.

There are no right answers but I'm interested in hearing yours.
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #9
ontic

Oddometer: 1,067
Welcome netsuke,
Congrats, that's a beauty.
another Melbournian with a G/S here. Yours is just a little bit cleaner than mine

Considering all your questions and interests it looks like you have got a bit of reading to do... make that a LOT of reading to do. I'm not sure where to start with thread recommendations, I'd just do a google advanced search for G/S within the advrider.com domain and start from there...

Your bike sure is a good example, and like the others I wonder about the wisdom of doing too much stuff to it (but then I'm doing a lot of stuff to mine so I can't really talk).

Depending on what sort of riding you want to do on it- and if this is not 'beating the hell out of it' -then it is most probably going to be perfectly sufficient in stock form. My R90/6 gets the hell beaten out of it on dirt and it does pretty damn well- with road tyres. I am definitely planning on beating the hell out of my G/S, and doing long loaded-down touring on it, so that's the purpose to which I am aiming my mods- plus my G/S was a bit of mess when I got it and one thing was leading to another- major scope creep and if I am doing to A, then I might as well do B and C...

Considering the monolever is one of the main things that many people love about this (cult) bike, it seems a bit odd to swap to a para just to run tubeless.
Rear suspension upgrade seems like a no-brainer to me, though from the looks of your bike it may very well have something decent on the back already.
Front end? Well, lots of options.

If it were me I would just sit back, relax, ride that sweet bike as is for a while and see how you feel about things, and take your time reading up on all the great info around the place. You might be happy with it as is. Whatever you do don't make any decisions for a while yet.
If you want to catch up sometime and compare bikes and chat about stuff then shoot me a PM and we can figure something out. Unlike many of the others in Old's school, some of them who have already posted here, I am far from a fountain of knowledge on airhead (and G/S) wisdom, but I've been reading for a couple of years and have absorbed a little, and could at least show you and talk about what I am doing to my G/S and why, and all the other things I read about and considered, etc.

Anyway, I'm in the northern burbs, I'd invite you around for a beer, but I'm not drinking at the moment, so you'll have to BYO or be happy with mineral water or a cuppa
Cheers,
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,512
Please don't do anything to it. Honestly. There are many bikes out there that are in OK condition that would be better to muck around & change components. I can't believe I saying that as i'm far from being a purist)

Have a look at most of the build threads & you'll see they have started with mediocre looking bikes & changed parts (& swapped them back, & changed them again) to get them to their standards.
Ontic is doing great things, BMWRSNUT has tricked his out, there are some outstanding builds as well those that have just replaced shocks, forks etc.
I came into airheadedness knowing not much. I have learnt a lot & forgotten even more
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:10 AM   #11
xiaoming
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
You have a real nice and cool bike. Suggest you leave it as it is, no modification or additional stuff needed.

Envy you. If Singapore allows import of used bike, I will definitely bring one in.
xiaoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:28 AM   #12
netsuke OP
netsuke

Thank you all for your input, much appreciated. Rest assured that I will not hack this bike - too much time and effort have gone into bringing it back to its former glory and I won't be branded as an iconoclast. As I tried to emphasize, I would not make any permanent mod whatsoever, meaning if various parts cannot be bolted straight on and straight off to play around with various configurations, then I won't do it. Indeed I still have a lot to read (in spite of having already lurked for several years) but the problem is to remember ! My hat off to some of you for what you do to your bikes - Wrangler, I read everyting you post, thanks for answering my question and looking forward to reading about your progress on your low-fat weightwatchers project ! Lornce and Tanami, point taken, a mate has already told me the same thing. Fishkens, I would not have hacked it, I swear. Ontic, thank you, I'll pm you as soon as I've worked out how to do it.
For the price of a para and 1 tubeless rim perhaps i'll just get a near-new dr to trash.
Thank you all for your collective wisdom, I'll post more pics soon.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:27 AM   #13
ontic

Oddometer: 1,067
here is some reading to get you started if you haven't already come across it,
front end swaps,
unholy union (click links), I, II, III and IV.

Along with a lot of others I'm currently doing II, ie the WP50 forks.

there is also various threads covering the GS front end swap around the place- a lot of good stuff written by One Less Harley.

It doesn't make much sense to me to do a paralever swap... how badly do you want a tubeles wheel? others may disagree... but if you are just itching to do something to the rear end to match a new (possibly increased travel) front end there are 50mm bolt on rear end extensions. A couple of fancy boxer parts places sell them overseas or our very own Paul Rooney also sells his own kit.
Again, all depends on what you want.

Neither of these front and rear mods would require welding on the frame and (so long as you did a complete front end swap- keeping your original G/S one complete, and had a spare drive shaft to replace your lengthened one) could be reversible in probably a days work.

Of course you could just improve what you already have- better springs in the forks and some cartridge emulators and a top of the line aftermarket shock. I don't think that would offend any of the purists now, or the potential buyers if you choose to sell. If you are unhappy with the stock front brake then there are bolt on options (oversize rotor, better calipers with relocation brackets).

Anyway, I'm sure others will add more.
For PM'ing you just click on a users name and then on the drop down option send a private message to '.....'.

I'll shoot you one now anyway,
cheers,
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #14
Arkwright
Grumpy ole Git

Oddometer: 107
Put some better fork springs in the front with proper oil, a decent rear shock, 320mm front brake rotor conversion and an H4 HID 50 headlamp conversion and ride it!

I'm slightly puzzled by wanting to go tubeless, I've got both and the tubed Mono is a lot less trouble than the Para................................believe you me!
R80 G/S (81)
R100 GSPD (92)
Arkwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #15
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,843
Glue a new rim strip in place with silicone and go tubeless with your existing wheel.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote