Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #16
ElRod
4<2

Oddometer: 275
'08 here and I'm on my second Batteries Plus AGM. The first one died 6 days past the two year warranty. For close to $100 I can't complain.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #17
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
I've been happy with the Power Stride battery, plus it have more CCA than the stock Yuasa http://www.powerstridebattery.com/wp...rcycle-battery
Old 09-01-2013, 03:14 AM   #18
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,220
EarthX Lithium battery from CJDesigns...

Yes, the knock with Lithium motorcycle batteries are they generally require a specific charger to help it evenly charge over the entire battery... And they are sensitive to cold temperatures.

The EarthX battery has internals so it's compatible with common motorcycle chargers. And CJDesigns offers several heavy duty Earthx models for the LC8 Adventure with higher cranking amps in colder climates.

The battery I ordered fit perfectly especially with the included post adapter for the KTM configuration.

It's amazingly light too.

I went with the non heavy duty battery as I live on the west coast. And as recommended, in the event of cold conditions, simply turn the key on for 3-4 minutes to let the battery "warm" itself up before turning the starter over.

CJ was awesome and shipped it out immediately.

Love his excellent service!!!
Old 09-01-2013, 04:10 AM   #19
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Yes, the knock with Lithium motorcycle batteries are they generally require a specific charger to help it evenly charge over the entire battery... And they are sensitive to cold temperatures.

The EarthX battery has internals so it's compatible with common motorcycle chargers. And CJDesigns offers several heavy duty Earthx models for the LC8 Adventure with higher cranking amps in colder climates.

The battery I ordered fit perfectly especially with the included post adapter for the KTM configuration.

It's amazingly light too.

I went with the non heavy duty battery as I live on the west coast. And as recommended, in the event of cold conditions, simply turn the key on for 3-4 minutes to let the battery "warm" itself up before turning the starter over.

CJ was awesome and shipped it out immediately.

Love his excellent service!!!
original 11AH AGM on 990Adv is marginal for a 1,000cc class bike. especially one that gets taken in the middle to no-where.

unfortunately when LiFePo4 batteries are spec'd they typically are undersized. EarthX currently makes the most advanced LiFePo4 battery available with internal BMS, overcharge and under discharge protections using MOSFETs that disconnects main power buss under certain conditions.

in the process of testing latest EarthX ETX18 which measured 4.8AH actual or way too small for a 1,000cc class bike like KTM 990Adv. don't get me wrong EarthX ETX18 will crank over 990Adv strongly but will have very little amp hour capacity in reserve.

when temps dip LiFePO4 performance will drop. EarthX are adamant all their batteries will put out CCA rating at zero degrees Fahrenheit. which is fine if only a few seconds of cranking is needed. don't know about you, but if I'm going in the middle of no-where a hundred miles from any support. I'd want more than a bit of extra reserve capacity to start my bike. anyone that's got a bad load of fuel knows 30 seconds of cranking is nothing. cranking and cranking and cranking while beating on your fuel pump could make all the difference from starting your bike or walking ...

the smallest LiFePo4 for 990Adv would be EarthX ETX24 .. if one is going RTW and/or headed for a winter trip to Alaska. go with EarthX ETX36. case size is the same and both will fit 990Adv.

someone with 990Adv just got back from a successful Arctic circle trip using EarthX ETX24. but that's in the summer. for really cold weather work... a LiFePo4 battery with actual amp hour capacity equal or larger than 11AH AGM.

much more info in LiFePO4 testing thread .. link in sig
if you don't want to spend the $$$ .. go with at least 11AH AGM .. a 14AH Odyssey would be a better choice. note KTM 950 is spec'd with a 14AH AGM.

just finished tech support for a 990Adv with electrical gremlins in Finland on RTW trip. they are using a Shorai LFX18 which is way too small. most electrical issues relating to LiFePO4 use in 990Adv are covered here. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914232

_cy_ screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 04:30 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:38 AM   #20
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,907
Thumb + 1 for AGM

AGM battery ONLY way to go

I've tried the Shorai = JUNK !!!

A few pounds AIN'T worth the aggravation with these "Weight Savings Battery" brands out there

East Penn Deka AGM in 2 Bikes & 1 Quad

My AGM in my Honda Foreman Quad cranks 40-60+ times a day here on farm & it has been going STRONG for 3yrs.

I had to replace the starter brushes other day though
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #21
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
AGM battery ONLY way to go

I've tried the Shorai = JUNK !!!

A few pounds AIN'T worth the aggravation with these "Weight Savings Battery" brands out there

East Penn Deka AGM in 2 Bikes & 1 Quad

My AGM in my Honda Foreman Quad cranks 40-60+ times a day here on farm & it has been going STRONG for 3yrs.

I had to replace the starter brushes other day though
for most folks AGM is definitely the way to go. unless saving weight is more important than saving $$$.

doesn't KTM stand for "keep throwing money"?
just kidding .. but KTM crowd does buy it's fair share of farkles.

unfortunately one cannot always go by LiFePO4 mfg listings for KTM. Placing a Shorai LFX18 in a 990Adv that routinely gets taken on trips a hundred miles from support in cold conditions is a receipt for failure.

if you had installed a correct size LiFePO4 things would have turned out differently. due to battery tray size limitations EarthX ETX24 or ETX36 (winter duties) fits 990Adv nicely.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #22
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 713
Can anyone give me the diamentions of the stock battery for the 990 ?

I have the Shorai and am thinking of going Decca or Odyssey. Need to know physical size.
Cheers.

rossguzzi screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 09:31 PM
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #23
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,313
My stock battery lasted 6 years. Last year I replaced it with true gel Bike Master. It's already dead, less than one year. Warranty is 2 years, but I dont even feel like wasting time on it. Battery was fine one day ago, low temperature was only 55F.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #24
Jody H
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
My stock battery lasted about 3 years.
The Batteries+ AGM lasted about 3 years.
I needed a battery bad so I just purchased a Interstate AGM yesterday for $120. We'll see how it does.
'09 Aprilia Mana

Jody H screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 07:19 PM
Jody H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #25
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

go with 14AH Deka or Odyssey for AGM .. then check your charging system voltage output at 3k rpm.

also check for parasitic drain when bike is shut off. how often has bike failed to start after sitting?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #26
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
go with 14AH Deka or Odyssey for AGM .. then check your charging system voltage output at 3k rpm.

also check for parasitic drain when bike is shut off. how often has bike failed to start after sitting?
First time it failed to start with this battery. And it was only 2 days. Battery recharged, will see how quickly voltage drops.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #27
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
First time it failed to start with this battery. And it was only 2 days. Battery recharged, will see how quickly voltage drops.
that's not enough info to tell much of anything.

to see if your current AGM will recover .. charge to full with a regular PB charger, not a tender.

allow to rest overnight .. resting voltage 12.6v to 12.8v indicates full charge. followed by starting your bike for a load test.

if say your battery is 12.8v and starts your bike strong.. then odds are your AGM is fine. don't automatically assume your battery is bad until you do above test.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #28
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
sorry to chime in on this old thread but better than starting yet another one. I have been reviewing old battery posts because I let myself come very close to being stranded. Ran my battery down using an electric pump (ok sure next time I will make sure its running) airing up my tire. I go riding alot by myself and in some remote areas (as much as 20 mile walk).

Not having a kickstarter sucks (like on my 530) so question, what kind of back up battery system is there? Can you carry some kind of power pack that you can hook to your charging cable too? You know this situation would have required hooking to a powersource for maybe 20 minutes? it would have started. Just curious as we have established that there is not a great alternative to the stock battery (not really).
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #29
scottrnelson OP
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,385
Short of carrying an entire extra fully charged battery around with you, I don't see a good alternative. Anything with additional power when the main battery is dead is extra weight you're hauling around for nothing.

Interestingly (since I started this thread), I went with the lower cost option at the local motorcycle shop and it lasted less than two years. I've already replaced it. I'm just trying to be better with keeping the battery topped up this time around.

The battery in my Honda has been solid for five years plus however long the previous owner had it. I can't tell if some bikes are "kinder" to their batteries or if it is the battery itself. I went more than 6 years on a battery in a Ducati Monster, but the Ducati ST2 that I replaced it with only managed about two years on each battery.

Oh, and it's Absorbed Glass Matrix, Duh!
Old 10-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #30
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,311
Picked up a $40 eBay AGM battery 2.5 years ago and all is well. Tried different types. Normally change it out every 3 years.
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote