Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #16
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
OK, lets try this another way to get us talking here......

What are you planning on doing over the cold winter months to your bike?.....It's the perfect time to scratch that Farklitis itch....isn't it!

Yep, I'm still finding things to do to my bike surprisingly!...lol
I want to fit a FCR-MX pumper carb to it and basically clean up the electrics and general over all servicing ready for next years cross Canada Adventure.

So, what do you have planned?
Old 12-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #17
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Please....it seems that some feel I'm fishing for business here, I'm not!
I'm just trying to get KLR owners to talk and find a home here. I see many more KLRs now a days on the roads of the Toronto area. I think we can contribute to the site if we can get enough of them talking.
People who know me know I don't work, I'm semi retired and do work on bikes as a semi hobby. Not as employment. I use it to fund my adventure during the riding season. I make enough to do that and nothing more. If I make a few thousand a year that is all. So, please, I started this thread to get KLR owners talking if at all possible, not to generate business for me. I have enough work already to cover next seasons adventures, so I'm not fishing.

This wasn't meant as a spam thread....sorry if it comes across that way.

So, can we get back to KLR related topics and start the thread growing. I think it is possible to do just that.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #18
GerryT
adrenaline junkie

Oddometer: 290
Just my thoughts. I appreciate getting more attention for KLR's on this site. That being said, I don't think we need our own meet and greet. I love being associated with all the adventure riders no matter what they ride. We have a great local group around the KW area with very few KLR's. Anyone is welcome to join us. These guys love riding with anyone, even street bikes! I ride a KLR because that's what I can afford. I'll support the KLR threads and help where I can but maybe it should be left at that. I've made some good friends through ADV rider and I love them! Now let's have a drink. :)

GerryT screwed with this post 12-02-2011 at 06:42 PM
GerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #19
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 957
Wink Klr

So can you join if you had a KLR at one time or do you still have to have one now?
Because the only problem I had with the KLR is that I got a KTM .
As for beer and bikes I am in for that and Timmies is a good choice too.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #20
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Anyone can join in as far as I'm concerned......I was hoping for conversation that semi revolved around our bikes and where we want to ride them etc. Just a section that is easier for like minded folks to get information etc in our area, Compared to searching all threads that are going well already, there are quite a few and sometime you tend not to see something that may be KLR related so to speak.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #21
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,879
I'm still waiting to hear from you how a stiffer slide spring makes a CV carb work with greater subtlety?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #22
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

...I like it and that's all that matters, IMHO, it works better than it did before I trimmed some off and unwound the spring some.....so, what can I say......it was one of the fixes for the fluttering of the slide that I was experiencing at the time. No more fluttering. Have you done it? If not, maybe you should try and find out why or why not it's a good thing? I can give you a spring if you like to run on your bike if you need...? But I expect you are trying to debate a mod for the sake of the debate and fall out......???? Sorry won't take the bait......
Old 12-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #23
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
...I like it and that's all that matters, IMHO, it works better than it did before I trimmed some off and unwound the spring some.....so, what can I say......it was one of the fixes for the fluttering of the slide that I was experiencing at the time. No more fluttering. Have you done it? If not, maybe you should try and find out why or why not it's a good thing? I can give you a spring if you like to run on your bike if you need...? But I expect you are trying to debate a mod for the sake of the debate and fall out......???? Sorry won't take the bait......
Settle down Mr. Poopie Pants. I thought you wanted some conversation around here? I'm trying to understand what positive results are realised by stiffening a carb spring.

First off, you thought you were weakening the spring by shortening it, and that's just not the case. Not knowing and simply accepting results is okay, I guess? But it's better to know what's actually going on.

How did you know your carb was "fluttering"? I could see a stiffer spring helping to solve that. But how did you know that's what was happening?

I'm genuinely curious.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #24
Groves
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
So many ellipses!
Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #25
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Wink glad to hear it

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
Anyone can join in as far as I'm concerned......I was hoping for conversation that semi revolved around our bikes and where we want to ride them etc. Just a section that is easier for like minded folks to get information etc in our area, Compared to searching all threads that are going well already, there are quite a few and sometime you tend not to see something that may be KLR related so to speak.
I loved my KLR put just over 15k one summer and it only had one breakdown sot to speak (bad gas plugged jet is my guess) Did a bunch of trail riding with it and back roads but wanted something more off road and that's where the 690 came in.
So I can not add to much to the troubles and fixes of the KLR's. Just that if have drunk friend who never been on a bike try and sit on yours and it falls over and pins his ankle and breaks some plastic, then yes I can help with that.... don't; let them

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
Old 12-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #26
Lornce
Lost In Place

You Huntsville guys are all alike.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #27
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Laugh what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
You Huntsville guys are all alike.

Well you seem to know me better then i know me???? Well if you have to know I just moved to Huntsville from Parry Sound so take that . So by the statement I guess you are right... we Huntsville guys are alike... we are guys . Thanks for pointing that out on a forum about KLR's... And yes this is a smart ass comment from a dumb ass guy from Huntsville

Old 12-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #28
Timo Explorer
Trail Wizard

Oddometer: 260
Hello Gents, another KLR rider here. Located in York region. Riding a green '08 with around 60,000km. Odo only reads 53,000km when the cable broke down in Penn state on Labour Day. This is one of my winter projects, okay so changing a speedo cable ain't much of a project, but the darn thing never breaks so there's not too much to fix over the frozen months. Good to have a local forum for KLR asylum members. Always nice to compare notes and share beverages.

Cheers
"You can't stay young, but you can stay immature." -- Red Green
"Never leave spontaneity to chance." -- Neil Peart
Timo Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #29
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,247
Did the KLR factory survive the Thailand floods?
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #30
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,033
Other than a blown rear shock(which I rebuilt with 28 bucks worth of parts from a place in California), my KLR has been pretty much flawless.

Because of the terrain I ride, which most sand and rock, I put on a lower front fender when it was new, and a chunk of nylon right in front of the engine.

Also added lots of stuff, taller windshield, tank and tail bags, doo, dash with heated vest controller, voltmeter, went the other way than most with the foot pegs, put big cushy ones on from a Honda street bike.

About 50k of fun so far.