ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Best way to remove a broken bolt extractor?

I broke 2) snap-on bolt extractors in one day. Drilling out the hardened steel of the extractor with a common drill bit isn't happening.

Anyone have a good suggestion on how to extract the extractor??
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer
 
griffo1962's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Carrara, Qld, Australia
Oddometer: 1,443


Someone with actual knowledge may pipe up soon but there is a process called something like ed??? something like an arc welder but it disintegrates the bolt/extractor..

good luck
griffo1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.
 
Skippii's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 6,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
I broke 2) snap-on bolt extractors in one day. Drilling out the hardened steel of the extractor with a common drill bit isn't happening.

Anyone have a good suggestion on how to extract the extractor??
Weld something to what's left of the extractor.
__________________
"Umm be careful what you say, this is Skippii....
You may get it delivered in the form of a shake or some interperative dance routine that involves nakedness, pizza and a stuffed raccoon..." -DCrider
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.
 
Skippii's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 6,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffo1962 View Post


Someone with actual knowledge may pipe up soon but there is a process called something like ed??? something like an arc welder but it disintegrates the bolt/extractor..

good luck
Carbon arc gouging, maybe? That would get rid of the extractor.
Same with a Thermic Lance.

I'd worry that both would be somewhat...um...destructive to the workpeice. I do some to recall there was something else more specifically used for this, now that you mention it, though....something like a modified plasma cutter or something....I can't think what it was called.
__________________
"Umm be careful what you say, this is Skippii....
You may get it delivered in the form of a shake or some interperative dance routine that involves nakedness, pizza and a stuffed raccoon..." -DCrider
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
Weld something to what's left of the extractor.
DUH! Why in the world I didn't think of that, I have no idea! Ha Ha! I can be the biggest doofus sometimes.

I did think of giving it a short blast with a plasma cutter but thought better of it. I'm sure I'd do more harm than good.


Next time I'm on break from work, I'll give the welder a try. Thanks for the idea, Skippii!

I was thinking along the lines of there might be some sort of diamond tipped drill bit sharp enough to cut the hardened steel that I didn't know about.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer
 
Benesesso's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: West of Phoenix, Arizona
Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
Carbon arc gouging, maybe? That would get rid of the extractor.
Same with a Thermic Lance.

I'd worry that both would be somewhat...um...destructive to the workpeice. I do some to recall there was something else more specifically used for this, now that you mention it, though....something like a modified plasma cutter or something....I can't think what it was called.
Carbon arc is destructive? (heh heh) EDM would work, but you don't need it. Either weld something to it or use a carbide burr in a high speed die grinder.

__________________
US out of the UN, UN out of the US.
Benesesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Welding it is. Thanks, Benesesso.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: The only county in Illinois with no train tracks
Oddometer: 5,239
How big is this extractor? My suggestion is using a carbide dental burr in a dremel, but seeing a pic might help form a different opinion. My concern with welding is the risk of welding something to the side, and now you have an easy out welded into the hole. It doesn't even have to be much, like a tiny slag spatter.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
P B G
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Greater Chicago
Oddometer: 10,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
How big is this extractor? My suggestion is using a carbide dental burr in a dremel, but seeing a pic might help form a different opinion. My concern with welding is the risk of welding something to the side, and now you have an easy out welded into the hole. It doesn't even have to be much, like a tiny slag spatter.

You minimize the risk by welding through a nut. would also help to know if the hardware is in aluminum.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:38 AM   #10
concours
WFO for 41 years
 
concours's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Kensington, NH USA
Oddometer: 5,315
Rocklinizer. At BIG, fancy machine shops everywhere...
__________________
Too much is just barely enough.....
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:16 AM   #11
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: West Cork, Ireland
Oddometer: 675
Spark erosion?
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:05 AM   #12
willys
Beastly Adventurer
 
willys's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
How big is this extractor? My suggestion is using a carbide dental burr in a dremel, but seeing a pic might help form a different opinion. My concern with welding is the risk of welding something to the side, and now you have an easy out welded into the hole. It doesn't even have to be much, like a tiny slag spatter.

Been here....done this!!!! It works but takes time with very minimal damage to the part. When there isn't enough material close enough to weld to, that is......still a better bet IMHO when dealing with a delicate bike engine, etc.
__________________
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:23 AM   #13
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer
 
ohgood's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: alabama
Oddometer: 2,398
mmm, hope there aren't any bearings or seals between the work an the ground...

have you tried an impact driver on the ez out or a left hand cobalt drill on whatever is stuck ?
__________________
Donkeys are flying
ohgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #14
slidewayes
slidewayes
 
slidewayes's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: HESPERIA CA
Oddometer: 491
Edm

Electrical Discharge Machine Is the correct way to remove broken drill bits ,taps and other hard tools(ez outs) and not destroy the part you were trying to save in the first place. Find em fast in the yellow pages
slidewayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #15
willys
Beastly Adventurer
 
willys's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
Been here....done this!!!! It works but takes time with very minimal damage to the part. When there isn't enough material close enough to weld to, that is......still a better bet IMHO when dealing with a delicate bike engine, etc.

I should say used a dremel to grind away the stuck part ....but I have also welded one too.
__________________
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014