ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #46
Rearsteer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Great trip with some great guys! Thanks for the killer time.
Rearsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #47
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous

Oddometer: 603
And it was a FINE Madness!

THANKS Airon, Elliot, KJ, Jim, Art, Scott & Kim for a GREAT WEEK in the Mojave! Thanks for sharing your photos too!

Daily reports after I get the trailer unloaded,

Catfish ...
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #48
TonyTug
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Good seeing you again up at Randsburg. We had a fun couple of days down there too. Not too dusty considering NO RAIN! Tony T
TonyTug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #49
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTug View Post
Good seeing you again up at Randsburg. We had a fun couple of days down there too. Not too dusty considering NO RAIN! Tony T
Hey Tony! It was good seeing you, Ray, Little Ray, & the others in the General Store. Little Ray on the XR100 from Ridgecrest to McIvers Spring & back must have been epic!

One of these days we'll actually have to ride together down there, instead of always meeting at lunch or the gas stop.

Take care,

Catfish ...
Old 01-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #50
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous

Monday - Dec. 26th

KJ, Airon, & Elliot arrived and set up camp. I don't think Airon & Elliot are on advrider, so KJ speak up when you get a chance.

Tuesday - Dec. 27th

Airon & Elliot trucked their bikes (KTMs 450exc & 400sx) to Jawbone, while KJ rode his DR200 over there. Airon found some singletrack in the Piutes via Google Earth & wanted to go see if it was open. They rode some SC roads up to the Piutes and went exploring. Successfully I might add, and they returned with gps tracks!

Airon, KJ, & Elliot in the hills above Jawbone

Some ice on the roads in the Piutes

A little snow on the northeast slopes also.

Stopped on the trail ...

Can you see the singletrack with Elliot & KJ on it?

--------

I pulled my trailer to the Ace hardware store in Cal.City and bought a 1/4 cord of almond firewood. Arrived in camp just before sunset to find Jim setting up his trailer and the others still out on their ride.

Airon, Elliot, & KJ arrived from the day's ride. You're up KJ!

Early in this thread I mentioned that "a well-prepped dirtbike with a 100-mile fuel range" was required for these rides. It never ceases to amaze me as to range of interpretation that humans have of that phrase. Ordinarily, there is usually only one bike on our rides that beg for the NOT-well-prepped-dirtbike Award. This trip would see three bikes in strong competition for that prestigious award.

After camp was setup, quality libations & a nice fire were the order for the evening. A couple of large camps in the distance were setting off some practice fireworks for our entertainment.

More later,

Catfish ...

catfish screwed with this post 01-04-2012 at 02:22 PM
Old 01-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #51
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,238
nice pics fish....

we met in tahoe at the assault. glad to see you guys had a great time.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #52
kj7687
Uncle Sally

Oddometer: 345
Wicked Thanks!

Thanks for organizing this ride Catfish. Much fun was had; this little excursion was a nice diversion from the everyday working class grind. I look forward to more of the same (minus broken sub frame) in the future. I had actually tested my luggage setup for several hours of hard off road riding prior to embarking on this trip. I didn't have any problems with it and therefore figured it would work out. Guess I was wrong...that's life, eh? But it's ok, my issues just put some emphasis on the adventure in "adventure riding"! Riding back home with the sub frame, luggage rack, and rear fender (with license plate, and brake light and turn signals - both plugged in and working...) tied to the back of my bike with straps, ropes and bungee chords actually wasn't as bad as I had feared it might be. It wasn't the most comfortable ride due to the fact that I was being squished forward and having to sit just behind the gas tank, and carrying a full back pack and two full helmet bags on my back and shoulders. But again, other than that little icing on the "adventure cake", the ride home was pretty much smooth and uneventful. I'm glad to see that everyone else also had a good time after I left and that no one was injured. Best of luck for 2012, everyone!

kj7687 screwed with this post 01-05-2012 at 02:07 PM
kj7687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #53
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
nice pics fish....

we met in tahoe at the assault. glad to see you guys had a great time.

Hi Joel! These wonderful photos I'm cherry-picking through for the report were taken by Airon, Jim, & Art. THANKS to THESE guys for the GREAT photos!

How could I forget you Joel? You're on every thread in the adv-west forum! Just teasin'! Yeah, I'm ready for another Tahoe ride too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj7687 View Post
Thanks for organizing this ride Catfish. Much fun was had; this little excursion was a nice diversion from the everyday working class grind. I look forward to more of the same (minus broken sub frame) in the future. ...
I'm glad to see that everyone else also had a good time after I left and that no one was injured. Best of luck for 2012, everyone!

It was good to meet & ride with you KJ! Where were you on Tuesday when the sub-frame broke?

Airon got a photo of one side.

I was impressed you stayed up so late Tuesday night removing the sub-frame and everything attached to it. Wednesday morning you & the mighty DR200 (with no ass) were ready for another ride!

Catfish ...
Old 01-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #54
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
I was impressed you stayed up so late Tuesday night removing the sub-frame and everything attached to it. Wednesday morning you & the mighty DR200 (with no ass) were ready for another ride!

Catfish ...
kj is one tough kid. he rode his tw200 from his house to the dv nOObs rally, rode for a few days there, and on the way home, rode more through rain, mud, snow, wind and whatever mother nature threw at him.

mild and good attitude too.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #55
slogger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Puite single track in January! That's got to be a record. I wonder if we're going to get any moisture this winter.
slogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #56
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous

Wednesday - Dec. 28th -- The Rand Mountains, Randsburg, & Cal. City

The crew (Airon, Elliot, Jim, KJ, and Catfish) assembled on the top of water tank #3 hill about 10AM. I pointed towards water tank # 5 to the north and said I'll meet you there next. Off we went in many parallel paths across the desert! Next came Ant Hill, and then up R43 into the Rand Mtns. At R20, we headed east on that trail past the new mine. Next was a left on R77 and we climbed back into the mountains.

Left on R22 and a left on R85. Stopped and looked at the GPS for a moment to check trails and discovered a range in a jeep behind us. We climbed up to R30, stopped, and the ranger continued east on R30. We headed north on R83 and some tasty ridgeline singletrack.

Airon sez I want to go THIS way!

This trail was fun, but a little steep & loose in places. Elliot & KJ were doing great on these technical downhills.

A Catfish in its nature habitat?

We worked our way down to trail R44 and followed it east to R110 into Randsburg for lunch.

KJ, Elliot, Airon, & Catfish

The White House Saloon is closed on weekdays. Hey, someone stole the Floozy House sign!?!

The General Store with its great Soda Fountain is open during the week. We stepped inside and got in line to order at the register. Then I noticed some other bay-area friends sitting at a table already. Tony, Ray, Little Ray(son), and other friends were staying in Ridgecrest and riding the Mojave this week also.

When you get to the register, ask if they can make you a meatloaf sandwich. Its not been on the menu for years, but if they have some and the place isn't busy, they usually make _me_ one. :-) Not today. SO I ordered the BBQ sandwich and a chocolate malt. Mmmm...

After lunch, we rode some ridge-line trails south of town down to the communications antennas, and then down to the old large wood mine structure.

Elliot, Jim, Airon, & KJ

Next was a great open cross-country blast to the Camp B Hills. Then we turned SE and took a couple of virgins to their first dry lake bed.

After many high-speed passes and some crazy lean angles by most, the 400sx came to a halt. No spark it seemed. Airon pulled the tank and I followed the ignition wires 'til I found a wire with a broken lug hanging near the coil. Hmmm... Airon reconnected the wire and it fired right up!

We continued on south and took a break at the old radar bunker. OMG, the bunker has been painted an pinky-brown adobe color!!! WTF?!? Someone has way too much time! Then we took the cool trails from the bunker through the hills back to camp. Mr. GPS sez we rode 66 miles today.

Miss Beta needed a couple of clicks to firm up her suspension a little, but she really enjoyed her first desert dance!

Scott & Kim had arrived & setup their trailer while we were riding in the afternoon. Art drove in about sunset. Dinner, drinks, stories around a nice fire, and a cool moonset completed the evening. :-)

Catfish ...
Old 01-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #57
kj7687
Uncle Sally

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post

It was good to meet & ride with you KJ! Where were you on Tuesday when the sub-frame broke?

Airon got a photo of one side.

Catfish ...
Thankfully my broken sub frame actually didn't interfere with our ride too much on Tuesday. We were toward the end of our loop, back on the same single track we had come in on (Jawbone), when I heard my rear fender scraping on the rear tire and found that the sub frame was broken. After assessing the situation, I decided to just take all the weight out of the bag on my luggage rack and stuff it all into my other bags. In my back pack was an empty helmet back that I had taken along for just such an occasion. I emptied five of my six 30 oz MSR fuel bottles into my fuel tank, and poured the fuel from the last one into Arion's 450 EXC. Nice of he and Elliot to return in a few minutes, after realizing I was no longer behind them! My back pack and my helmet bag were able to accommodate all six empty fuel bottles, as well as the tools and spare parts I had been carrying on the luggage rack. On the rest of the way back to our staging area, I really crawled along over the whoops and rough terrain, so as to avoid my bike falling apart on the trail. It worked out and we still ended up making it back to Airon's van just before dark (Elliot's 400 didn't have a headlight). The bike was still ride-able and I was able to cruise from Jawbone back to our camp outside of Cal. City with no issues. That little $1300 Suzuki has never yet left me stranded, in 10k miles of abusive riding ;-) It's very easy to maintain, too.

I wasn't about to let a dumb little sub frame ruin my trip lol. It was a relief to me that I was able to remove it and still do the ride Wednesday - wouldn't have wanted to miss out on that. Especially that little rock ledge that we all climbed up, after the rocky downhill section. That was fun! It was actually pretty fun riding the DR200 with about 60 pounds taken off the back of the bike! I definitely noticed an improvement in handling. It even pulled second gear noticeably better up hills and just generally seemed to pick up speed a little better ;-D Hurray for 20 horsepower lol!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #58
kj7687
Uncle Sally

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
kj is one tough kid. he rode his tw200 from his house to the dv nOObs rally, rode for a few days there, and on the way home, rode more through rain, mud, snow, wind and whatever mother nature threw at him.

mild and good attitude too.
Thanks for the kind words Joel. I look forward to signing up for another of your rides some time in the future.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #59
kj7687
Uncle Sally

Good times

I was pretty impressed with Elliot's natural riding ability. Apparently he had only ridden a dirt bike once or twice before, ever! With a few tips/suggestions from Airon and I, he kept up with us and did quite well on the technical stuff. A lot better than I was when I first started riding! I wish I'd had someone to give me some pointers a few years ago when I was teaching myself how to ride. Could have prevented a good deal of crash related pain and suffering... But the best learned lessons are those learned the hard way, right? Right? Lol...

That restaurant in Randsburg serves up some tasty grub! I recommend this place to anyone who might be in the area in the future. It's a nice stop.

Some day I'm going to purchase and build up a beastly CR500 (think 100 hp!) and take it to that lake bed for some hooliganism and drag racing!

kj7687 screwed with this post 01-06-2012 at 01:04 AM
kj7687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #60
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj7687 View Post
I was pretty impressed with Elliot's natural riding ability. Apparently he had only ridden a dirt bike once or twice before, ever! With a few tips/suggestions from Airon and I, he kept up with us and did quite well on the technical stuff. A lot better than I was when I first started riding! I wish I'd had someone to give me some pointers a few years ago when I was teaching myself how to ride. Could have prevented a good deal of crash related pain and suffering... But the best learned lessons are those learned the hard way, right? Right? Lol...
Yeah, the last time Elliot rode with us he was a bit shorter and on an XR100. Quite the step up to return on big brother's 400sx this time. He rode well. Imagine how he'd do if he owned a bike & rode it occasionally!

Thanks for coming along KJ and good luck with your future moto plans!

Thursday Dec.29 -- The Fremont Mountains & the Husky Memorial

Art & Scott were eager for a ride this morning. KJ was talking about a new front tire at Borax Bill Park, and maybe finding someone in town to weld his sub-frame back together. Elliot had to get back to work.

This was going to be an all-day ride so everyone was reminded to bring plenty of water, snacks, & lunch. We (Airon, Art, Jim, Scott, & me) met on the top of the hill.

I pointed SE towards the krag hill while Jim & Scott look on ...

and we were off!

Art at the krag hill.

Next came the sand spot at the base of the next set of hills. Then we rode the fun singletrack trails through the hills to the bunker. I can't believe no one got a photo of the newly-paint bunker. North on the little power-line trail to the dry lake bed for Art & Scott.

Jim, Art, Scott, & Catfish at the lake bed

Next we headed east to the Fremont Mountains and took a break for Scott to do some exhaust-can maintenance. Apparently the can is torn from its from mounting bolts.

Then they all chased a catfish into the Fremonts!

Airon on the trail.

Scott & Catfish at one of the Fremonts singletrack Memorials.

And the other next to it.

Singletrack in the Fremonts!

Scott watches Catfish climb the next hill.

Airon climbing a hill, with Red Mtn & Cuddeback lake to the north

Next came the big Fremont hillclimb!

After the hillclimb practice, Scott returned to exhaust-can repairs ... while Art entertained the troupes with several climbs up the side of the mine hill. Shame we didn't get any photos, as he got all the way up to the third mine level.

Mmmm ... MORE singletrack along the south side of the Fremonts ...

As we dropped into the last wash to exit the Fremonts, Art noticed that Scott had a flat rear tire. Scott didn't have flat-repair stuff with him, but most of us did. He was not interested in slowing the whole group further to deal with his issues. He said he was going to ride it back to camp alone to fix his flat and do a better exhaust can repair. We asked if he was sure & he said yes. I requested he take a straight path back to camp from the Fremonts, as we would return that way a little later in the afternoon.

The next section was going to be _my_ google-earth adventure. I found some unknown-to-me singletrack in the hills east of the Fremonts in GE that should cut a few miles off the distance to the Husky. Drew the track and today we followed it. It looked FUN!

And it was SWEET!!!

The Husky Memorial ...

Catfish & Art

Jim gets his photo taken on the Husky

A memorial that Airon's uncle Hans did for Don Singer; a Northstar who passed away early last year.

Several newer memorials of younger folks too.

Then we had to return on the same shitty trails! It was absolutely terrible!

Nice play area in the middle of these hidden hills.

With everyone in this group having my tracks & waypoints in their GPSes, I didn't need to lead them. So, I followed the dust clouds in the distance until they stopped at the 395 crossing. Art said he just went on reserve, but had 1.5 gallons of gas left. I told him we were less than 10 miles from camp. He took off and we followed.

About 3 miles from camp, I noticed the group has stopped on a hill, and I rode up to join them. Art pulled away before I arrived. We discussed the sun in our eyes and talked about zig zagging back to camp so we could see also.

We arrived in camp a few minutes later, but no Art. We looked at each other; 10 miles with 1.5 gallons, he should have been fine. About 20 minutes later Art rides into camp. He said he ran out of gas, pushed his ktm to a camp that gave him some gas, and then rode in. We laughed & teased him until he pulled the fuel tank & needle and discovered his clip that should have been in the 2nd slot from the top was in the 2nd slot from the bottom. Only 3 positions richer than it should have been. D'OH!!!

Scott finished his flat and exhaust repairs, so it was time for dinner, drinks, and a fire! Mr. GPS said we rode 82 miles today. More practice fireworks after dark.

THANKS again to Airon, Art, & Jim for sharing your great photos!!!

Catfish ...