ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2005, 07:38 AM   #1
KLR04 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Trip info request, BRP

Hello all,

I’m looking for suggestions on a trip I am planning. I will be in Louisville for training from May 23 to 26. On Friday, I’d like to ride east on 64 to Lexington, south on 75 to Knoxville, south on 129 to Maryville, west on 411 to Vonore, south on 360 to Tellico Plains, catch the Cherohala Skyway to Robbinsville, in theory that should be a full day, around 350 miles.

On Saturday, I’d go north on 129 through Deal’s Gap for the Dragon, turning north-east on Happy Valley road (a few hundred feet south-east of the Foothils Parkway), right on Abrams Creek road feeding into Cooper road into the Great Smoky Park, connecting to Cades Cove Loop road, north on Old Cades Cove road to Townsend then east, back into the Park on 337 onto Little River road, then south on 441 (maybe a detour to Clingmans Dome) onto the Blue Ridge Parkway. I’d ride the whole BRP into Shenandoah National Park, and on north back to Montreal, most probably on 81, depending on travel time and weather.

Here’s my first question; Microsoft Streets and Trips shows Cooper road as a possible way into the Park from Happy Valley road, but the official map does not show a road between Abrams Creek (at the end of Happy Valley road) and Cable Mill (inside the park). Anyone know that area to confirm my planned route?

More questions; beyond the sights along the way, any specific suggestions? How about the Biltmore Estate in Asheville? At mile marker 355, 30 miles north of Asheville, how about the road up to Mount Mitchell? Should I consider a detour to the Fingers Lake region in upper New York or around the Lake Placid region? Any lodging suggestions? I’m planning six or seven riding days (again depending on weather conditions) from Louisville to Montreal, that should be around 1700 miles on my KLR. Any takers for segments of the ride?

Marc
KLR04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:18 AM   #2
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Ouch- bad plan- here's why. That's a holiday- Memorial Day weekend- when you're planning to be in Smoky Mountain National park- and that's the most popular N/P in the country. You're gonna hit it at the worst possible time. If you like traffic- then go for it! Not saying that your trip isn't gonna work out fine- but I'd prolly drop the route you have planned because of the traffic issue- it's that bad. Deals will be a death trap that weekend too- guaranteed. Again- it's up to you if you still want to do it- but it's not the optimal weekend. Hell- at this point, no weekend is the optimal weekend at Deals. The place is insane! Lane discipline is non-existent. I think if I were you I'd drop back and punt. Find a good atlas or Streets and Trips and start choosing roads in the area.... there are PLENTY to choose from. Add some offroad to the mix and you'll really avoid the crowds. You could do the whole thing the week before- add in the Hot Springs Rendezvous on 5/20 to 5/22- and then finish at your seminar the following week. You could reverse the route somewhat and then slab back... lots of options. Just don't book yourself to be in SMNP on Memorial Day weekend. Good luck~ it's a GREAT place to ride!!!

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
KLR04 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the input, looks like I'm going to be doing the trip the other way around, leaving Montreal on May 16, that should give me plenty of time to explore. I guess I'll ride back going North through Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo, Detroit and along the 401 eastbound back home, something like 600 miles shorter that way... I was thinking of dropping by the track at Indy on the way down, but now I'll steer as far away as possible, I guess the place will be a circus.

Any other advice regarding places to visit or specific roads to ride or stay away from?

Marc
Old 04-04-2005, 02:41 PM   #4
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

go here and check it out! Hot Springs Rendezvous? Have you read the thread??? The riding in the Hot Springs area is phenomenal- as is the ADV event! You'll have a great time meeting the gang- and there will be plenty of KLR folks there to swap stories with- check out Rte 209 going out of Hot Springs, NC- fer instance~ see ya there...

Old 04-04-2005, 03:38 PM   #5
KLR04 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That sounds great, the timing would be perfect, I'll look into this some more and get back to you.

Thanks.

Marc
Old 04-10-2005, 08:31 AM   #6
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,236
Just been there..

Just returned from a trip to Deals Gap. And I thought we had twisty roads up here in New England.
We owned the road last Wednesday but one of the locals said the place would be getting pretty packed in a week or so.
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:55 AM   #7
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

West By God to the No. Georgia mountains is one continuous playground~ ain't it beeyootiful?!