User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 04:47 AM   #1
hyper7driver OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I'm I the only one with "secret".......

......places to ride? What I mean is, there is some really good riding around here, that hasn't been "discovered" so to speak. Me and some other local riders of course frequent these areas, and of course what little traffic these particular roads might get. There's beautiful scenery, tight twisties, some are partially paved/partially dirt, nice streams flowing surrounded by a canopy of trees, some even have beautiful waterfalls. And the fall photos are gorgeous!

But as of now, I can go blasting through these roads without fear of cops, or encounter much, if any other traffic on these roads, unlike places like Deal's Gap, AKA "Tail of the Dragon." In fact, a couple of these places has better curves than Deal's Gap. Not as many, but better. Like sharp switch backs, almost 180 deg turns so sharp you're into first gear, while on a grade steep enough to burn up the brakes on my wife's Civic, is, "awesome!" Especially when you are going up in these twisties. And for some unknown reason, when I exit one of these turns, my front wheel keeps coming off the ground when I let the clutch out?

So, should I keep a secret, or plan on some ride reports next season? How many have done this, and your riding area is still a nice quiet place to ride? I've enjoyed reading other's ride reports, and would like to return the favor, and may do so this next spring, which would provide some good pics of the dogwood trees in bloom, and some of these wild flowers we have too.
hyper7driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Grizzlyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper7driver View Post
......places to ride? What I mean is, there is some really good riding around here, that hasn't been "discovered" so to speak. Me and some other local riders of course frequent these areas, and of course what little traffic these particular roads might get. There's beautiful scenery, tight twisties, some are partially paved/partially dirt, nice streams flowing surrounded by a canopy of trees, some even have beautiful waterfalls. And the fall photos are gorgeous!

But as of now, I can go blasting through these roads without fear of cops, or encounter much, if any other traffic on these roads, unlike places like Deal's Gap, AKA "Tail of the Dragon." In fact, a couple of these places has better curves than Deal's Gap. Not as many, but better. Like sharp switch backs, almost 180 deg turns so sharp you're into first gear, while on a grade steep enough to burn up the brakes on my wife's Civic, is, "awesome!" Especially when you are going up in these twisties. And for some unknown reason, when I exit one of these turns, my front wheel keeps coming off the ground when I let the clutch out?

So, should I keep a secret, or plan on some ride reports next season? How many have done this, and your riding area is still a nice quiet place to ride? I've enjoyed reading other's ride reports, and would like to return the favor, and may do so this next spring, which would provide some good pics of the dogwood trees in bloom, and some of these wild flowers we have too.
I say spread the wealth with your WNC riders .

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730585
Grizzlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
hyper7driver OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlyman View Post
I say spread the wealth with your WNC riders .
I probably will. I hope to get my hands on a Go Pro, and get a few videos up.
hyper7driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
I've been ridin' down in your neck of the woods several times this year, most recently this past week. Rolled down to Franklin, NC from Cincinnati and hit a few of the local "secret places"....although if us midwest boys know about 'em, they ain' THAT secret!

Headed west out of Franklin and rode Wayah Rd from 64 to 19/74 and on all the way up 129 into TN. Rt 28 is a great ride itself all the way from the Dragon south to Highlands, and if you keep going south into GA, ride Warwoman Rd west from Pine Mountain over to Clayton (although things kind of mellow out on the west end). Another challenging loop route to the east of the city is to take Elijay Rd from 28/64 to Tilley Creek Rd and Cullowhee Mtn Rd, Pine Creek and Walnut Creek back to 28/64 near Highlands.

Once you're in Clayton, ride 197 west past Lake Burton and jog across 356 to 348 (Richard B Russell Scenic Hwy/Wolfpen Gap Rd) then across 19 to 180 into Suches and continue south on 60 to Dahlonega.

Other great rides near the area and that take off from the BRP are 281/Canada Rd, 215, 276 (espcially south of the Parkway) and short but brutal 2-mile stretch of 151 called Devil's Drop. Nearly all of these roads are as good or better than the Dragon with far less traffic and LEO presence.

I'd bet that all the WNC locals know about these gems, and are keeping the REALLY GOOD ONES to themselves. But I'm gonna keep coming down there and lookin' for 'em....
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote