Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #16
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,220
I think they just feel "sketchy" the first time you try TKC's. The turn in is much quicker with TKC's than the Tourances my bike came with. It feels as if the bike just wants to fall over with the TKC's in my opinion. I was scared of them at first too on pavement, but now I can darn near drag my panniers in corners. I love my TKC's on the street and they are great off road!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #17
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
I suppose it depends what the OP had on prior to the TKCs. If he's coming off of the stock tires and doesn't have a lot of experience with dual sport knobbies on pavement then any knobby is going to feel scary at first until the limits and feel are gotten used to.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #18
CaliKarl OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Maybe it is just a matter of getting used to them. But boy are they scary! My previous tires were Heidi K60 Scouts, which felt very stable from day one. The current tire pressure is about 30/32. That should be okay, right?
Old 12-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #19
betasigscoot
Palaverer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by thematt View Post
I suppose it depends what the OP had on prior to the TKCs. If he's coming off of the stock tires and doesn't have a lot of experience with dual sport knobbies on pavement then any knobby is going to feel scary at first until the limits and feel are gotten used to.
+1

The TKC80 does squirm a bit on pavement (nature of knobbies & softer rubber), but the tire has a decent amount of traction on pavement. IMHO, for being a compromise, they are a great tire.
betasigscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:05 AM   #20
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,973
When they are new, TKC`s will feel like you`re going to fall off the edge of them, but they round off after a while. I run 30 front, 34 rear on my 1100GS and they wear very well.

They do scallop, so I reverse the front one on the rim after about 8,000Km which will let you get the most distance out of them.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #21
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
I think they just feel "sketchy" the first time you try TKC's. The turn in is much quicker with TKC's than the Tourances my bike came with. It feels as if the bike just wants to fall over with the TKC's in my opinion. I was scared of them at first too on pavement, but now I can darn near drag my panniers in corners. I love my TKC's on the street and they are great off road!

+1 If you aren't used to the TKC's they feel like they walk around a lot and don't give you much confidence. Once you get over this they are a really good tyre for the 800GS in particular.This seems to be a pretty common worry with people new to TKC's ... I remember reassuring several riders that they won't let go and to just trust them. The last rider I told you can scrape the pegs on these things did just that a few minutes later.

I think the TKC80 for the front is by far the best "dual purpose" tyre for the 800GS ... they aren't really noisy, grip well off and on road and last for a long time.

I often run a 140/80/17 K60 on the back, but the 150 TKC is a great tyre and has more grip offroad. They aren't prone to punctures, there just excellent tyres in my opinion.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:06 AM   #22
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Totally not the norm.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:11 AM   #23
XTrooper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
I'm curious as to why you switched from the Heidenau K60s to Continental TKC80s? It seems like you had a good experience with the Heidenaus. Any special reason why you made the change or did you just want to try something different?

Thanks!
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4/1/1991)
2011 BMW F800GS - Alpine White
2009 BMW R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)
XTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:30 AM   #24
CaliKarl OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrooper View Post
I'm curious as to why you switched from the Heidenau K60s to Continental TKC80s? It seems like you had a good experience with the Heidenaus. Any special reason why you made the change or did you just want to try something different?

Thanks!
Good morning. Well, the front Heidi was neither good on road nor off. The rear, however, was great but didn't hook up in sand the best. It's possible though that my tire was just too worn to work well off road and that a new Heidi would have been much improved. I might buy the Heidi rear and keep the TKC in my closet just in case. Also, I got shut out of a group ride this summer for not having knobbies; just as well I suppose. I'll report back when that rear tire steps out on me and I hit the pavement.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:53 AM   #25
picard
engage!

Oddometer: 1,056
It won't step out on you, no worries.
The turn-in is a bit faster on the TKCs and that's what you MAY be feeling but the traction of the TKCs is excellent, trust them.

You have one restrictive ride group there. Do you have to wear specific clothes, too?
Old 12-03-2011, 06:00 AM   #26
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
I have run TKC-80s on my KLR 650, my R1200GS and my F650GS twin. They have been a great all around tire on these bikes but I do get some squirm on the KLR and on the F650GS at 70 mph plus if the bikes are loaded with gear. Got in a mild tank slapper on the KLR on a freeway with bad pavement and it scared the crap out of me. On the F650GS fully loaded (preload was increased a lot) I felt that the front end was really light and the front tire wanted to hunt around at speeds over 70. Not confidence inspiring. Other than that though, I have liked the handling of the TKC-80s on all three bikes at any reasonable speeds and I think they corner on pavement amazingly well. When the bikes are loaded up though, caution is called for.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:06 AM   #27
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,221
Mine felt a little nervous but it was the quick turn in that I wasn't used to. They hold the road fine however and are good at letting you know when you are hitting the limits of the tire. I ran a set on my GSA and in the wet I could spin the rear with moderate throttle. Nothing sketchy, not the traction I have with the current Anakees but then again the Anakee doesn't have what the TKCs have to offer for riding off the road.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #28
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Also, I got shut out of a group ride this summer for not having knobbies; just as well I suppose.
I went on an adventure ride this summer with a bunch of my friends on the 1200GS and when I showed up, I was the only one without TKCs (I was running Anakees).

They all laughed at me and said "Oh I guess no one told you this is going to be that kind of ride".

Thanks guys.

If someone tells you you're going to need knobbies, it's a good idea to follow their advice!

TKCs always felt great for me on the street, I can usually embarrass my casual riding friends in the twisties. Only complaint I have is they are expensive as hell and don't last very long.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #29
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,838
Had a set on my 950, got them for free! Took them off 4 day's later and gave them back to the retailer that gave them to me. When I say...."you couldn't give me a set for free", I mean it! IMHO they were THE WORST set of rim protectors I ever had the displeasure of mounting on any motorcycle.
Were they "better" than the Scorpion AT 90's that I normally run on the bike in the dirt? Yes, they were, but that's not saying a whole hell of a lot. Were they better on the street? NOT EVEN CLOSE! No way, no how.

But, I don't ride very good and haven't gotten to ride many other bikes with different tires, so I don't have much to compare it to.

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #30
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKarl View Post
Got the new tires on, and the wheels back on the bike. All set, finally. However, these TKCS are a nightmare on the street. Sure, they are new and may get better with time. But oh my, it is a certainty that I am going to fall. Leaning is out of the question. Turns that I used to take at 30mph on squared off Heidis with 9200 mi I took at under 15mph. I ride my bike everyday, street during the week and highway and dirt on the weekends. This is bad. And there is no 'getting used to them'; they will always be dangerous. Kudos to those of you who ride with these. I'll be hospitalized before I make it to any dirt. Wish me luck!
This is not my experience either. The TKC80 rubber compound allows me to push these knobbies on pavement more than all other knobbies tried so far. No free lunch, though. They wear faster on concrete and asphalt, a price I am willing to pay because I ride for fun, not for economy. Besides, I use my street bike for most jaunts on the road.

I'm sure I read this issue before (sarcasm, here). Are you just poking everyone with a troll stick?

Fred
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote