Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #31
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,736
The front will walk around at high speed when new. It takes around 500 miles on them to make it disappear. I think they are very good tires, but they do wear fast and the front scallops. I also reverse the front when it starts to show.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #32
XTrooper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKarl View Post
Good morning. Well, the front Heidi was neither good on road nor off. The rear, however, was great but didn't hook up in sand the best. It's possible though that my tire was just too worn to work well off road and that a new Heidi would have been much improved. I might buy the Heidi rear and keep the TKC in my closet just in case. Also, I got shut out of a group ride this summer for not having knobbies; just as well I suppose. I'll report back when that rear tire steps out on me and I hit the pavement.
Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate it!

God forbid you hit the pavement!
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4/1/1991)
2011 BMW F800GS - Alpine White
2009 BMW R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)
XTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #33
BRSIMONS
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Sure you have the wheels on the right end of the bike Cali. TKC's stick in the corners like a sport tire.
BRSIMONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #34
CaliKarl OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSIMONS View Post
Sure you have the wheels on the right end of the bike Cali. TKC's stick in the corners like a sport tire.
Welcome. Yeah, tires are on the correct wheel, wheels are on the correct axle. There's just a learning curve I guess. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll wear out after only a few hundred miles.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #35
CaliKarl OP
Studly Adventurer

My apologies for getting all worked up over these new knobs. Yeah, they're still a bit sketchy in the corners and at faster highway speeds, but I've adjusted to them quite a bit. They tip into turns a bit too easily and are worrisome if I back off the gas, but if I stay on it in the turn I can whip through it. The 'scare factor' remains, but not nearly as much.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:21 AM   #36
deguoren
该出手时就出手

Oddometer: 161
I can only join the choral, TKCs are a bit scary in the beginning, but great on and off road potential.
No good for motorways, they melt like chocolate in the sunshine.

I switched from TKCs to Heidis and I felt more comfortable with the Heidis from the first meter. Couldn't explore their full offroad potential with my own bike yet, but from riding rental GS with Heidis I got a good impression too, unless the gravel starts to get fist size.

For both tires I got the recommendation to run the at 30 - 32 psi everywhere.
Do what you love, and do it often. If you don’t like something, change it. If you don’t like your job, quit. Travel often; getting lost will help you find yourself. Some opportunities only come once; seize them. Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them, so go out and start creating. Live your dream, and wear your passion. Life is short."
deguoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:48 AM   #37
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
My apologies for getting all worked up over these new knobs. Yeah, they're still a bit sketchy in the corners and at faster highway speeds, but I've adjusted to them quite a bit. They tip into turns a bit too easily and are worrisome if I back off the gas, but if I stay on it in the turn I can whip through it. The 'scare factor' remains, but not nearly as much.
I suggest you buy a Can-Am Spyder, and start riding that instead. This will fix your problem.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #38
puckinet
Safety third

Oddometer: 346
I love mine work great off road and on road but it's still a knobbie, I'm not the stronggest road rideer but I can keep up with everyone that has street tires in the corners, but bought the bike to take off road and wound not go where I ride with out a knobbie. By the way it sounds like you got your wheel back on...

08 KTM 450 EXCR
2010 BMW F800GS
Rick
puckinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #39
CaliKarl OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
I suggest you buy a Can-Am Spyder, and start riding that instead. This will fix your problem.

HF
With the Heidis on I could keep up with anybody. So, that won't be necessary. When I adjust to the new tires, I'll be at it again.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #40
mwalker
mike

Oddometer: 75
It takes about 100 miles to scrub them in and get past the mold release. good tire after that,,,,
mwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #41
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,322
I like to practice emergency stops regularly to stay sharp. They work OK if you're not pushing them, but they are definitely marginal if you try to stop REALLY hard. Seeing that they're semi-knobby I guess you can't expect them to behave like street biased tires, but just beware if you have to stop fast, you'll be running the ABS the whole time. I'm back to full time commuting for winter, so the Anakees are back on. My 2 cents.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #42
Grendel
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 2,116
Quote:
Got the new tires on, and the wheels back on the bike. All set, finally. However, these TKCS are a nightmare on the street. Sure, they are new and may get better with time. But oh my, it is a certainty that I am going to fall. Leaning is out of the question. Turns that I used to take at 30mph on squared off Heidis with 9200 mi I took at under 15mph. I ride my bike everyday, street during the week and highway and dirt on the weekends. This is bad. And there is no 'getting used to them'; they will always be dangerous. Kudos to those of you who ride with these. I'll be hospitalized before I make it to any dirt. Wish me luck!
Personally, I love these. One great thing I've found with the TKCS is that they go off very predictably. You'll feel the rear loosen up and slide very gently. Nothing abrupt. Give'em some time. You may end up liking them.

Grendel screwed with this post 12-05-2011 at 07:25 PM
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #43
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
With the Heidis on I could keep up with anybody. So, that won't be necessary. When I adjust to the new tires, I'll be at it again.
Hey Karl...

How fast do you actually ride? Did you say you got over 9k miles on K60s? My last set of K60s lasted me just under 4k and I was on cords, squared off and afraid of rubbing through the carcass.... this leads me to believe I ride a bit harder than you do (like a bat out of hell, actually).

I usually rode Metzeler Karoo T tires which are almost exactly the same as TKC80s. These lasted me around 3k miles but felt great in corners, much better than the squared K60s.

My advise is to hang it out and give it some gas! I have always been shocked by how fast my tires wear in the first 100-200 miles, wear seems to seriously slow towards the last 1/2 of the tread!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #44
CaliKarl OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Hey Karl...

How fast do you actually ride? Did you say you got over 9k miles on K60s? My last set of K60s lasted me just under 4k and I was on cords, squared off and afraid of rubbing through the carcass.... this leads me to believe I ride a bit harder than you do (like a bat out of hell, actually).

I usually rode Metzeler Karoo T tires which are almost exactly the same as TKC80s. These lasted me around 3k miles but felt great in corners, much better than the squared K60s.

My advise is to hang it out and give it some gas! I have always been shocked by how fast my tires wear in the first 100-200 miles, wear seems to seriously slow towards the last 1/2 of the tread!
No doubt you're a faster, better rider than me. Probably smarter and better looking too. I scraped pegs and rode fast on the K60s, but not often; rather, only when the roads were fun. Anyways, these TKCs are growing on me. Just nervous jitters, I guess. Others on here, including a gent from Oregon, have gotten over 14K on the rear and a guy I ran into in Cortez, CO had 23K on his. Thanks for the advice all. After a proper scrub in they're good tires. Next time I'll just by somebody's slightly used tires.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #45
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
No doubt you're a faster, better rider than me. Probably smarter and better looking too. I scraped pegs and rode fast on the K60s, but not often; rather, only when the roads were fun. Anyways, these TKCs are growing on me. Just nervous jitters, I guess. Others on here, including a gent from Oregon, have gotten over 14K on the rear and a guy I ran into in Cortez, CO had 23K on his. Thanks for the advice all. After a proper scrub in they're good tires. Next time I'll just by somebody's slightly used tires.
ridiculous. all of this.

1. knobbies are not sport bike tires, stop expecting otherwise
2. if you ride 80mph on freeways between dirt, loaded up, you will never get 23K miles on a set of any knobbies
3. TKCs are not even true knobbies anyway, so what is all this whining about? get used to the ride or go home and put on the crappy battlewings