Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #46
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKarl View Post
No doubt you're a faster, better rider than me. Probably smarter and better looking too.

I never said that but I'll take what I can get BTW.. try the Metzeler Karoo T's next and see what you think!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:13 AM   #47
BudMor
Can't have just one.

Oddometer: 65
Dunlop D205 on the rear and a D208 on the front and my GS corners awesome :)
BudMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:21 AM   #48
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by thematt View Post
ridiculous. all of this. ...TKCs are not even true knobbies anyway...
Ridiculous!

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #49
CaliKarl OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
I think I like these tires. Hahahahahaha! They just needed breaking in.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #50
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

The first time I got tires (Karoo T) installed on my bike (2009) I took it to my trusty Suzuki dealer... I knew the mechanics were bunch of hooligans so I wasn't surprised when they took the bike out for a test ride after installing the knobbies. No one had ever seen this kind of bike before and after turning the corner of the store I heard the mechanic open up the throttle and promptly chop it shut after some tire squealing noise.

He came back around the shop a bit red-faced with rub marks up the side of the tire, commenting I should probably take it easy the first few miles
Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #51
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
The first time I got tires (Karoo T) installed on my bike (2009) I took it to my trusty Suzuki dealer... I knew the mechanics were bunch of hooligans so I wasn't surprised when they took the bike out for a test ride after installing the knobbies. No one had ever seen this kind of bike before and after turning the corner of the store I heard the mechanic open up the throttle and promptly chop it shut after some tire squealing noise.

He came back around the shop a bit red-faced with rub marks up the side of the tire, commenting I should probably take it easy the first few miles
Did he lay the bike down or just drag the tire hard?
Old 12-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #52
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Did he lay the bike down or just drag the tire hard?
Within inches of laying it down... trust me I was extremely concerned when he pulled up. He just slid far enough to put marks all the way up the edge of the brand new tire in a very obvious way.

On a different note... I have some theories but I'm not certain what causes the first 1/2 of the tire tread to wear so quickly compared to the last half. Does this have to do with the length of the knobs, the heat cycles, or something else?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #53
CaliKarl OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
For the record, the TKCs are excellent. The first 100 miles are, however, brutal. Perhaps there is something applied to them at the factory for storage purposes that results in a slippery ride. So, to anybody else who is new to these tires, hang in there. I've got 550 miles on them, with only 40 off road. On road they grip tremendously well and are much better in the rain than the K60. Above 80 mph or under really hard acceleration, they get a bit wobbly. And they dig into the sandy stuff all too easily. Only real deficit is they are the same price of the K60s, but last 1/2 as long. Might go to the TKC front, K60 rear as many have suggested. Enough about tires. Time to plan trips.
CaliKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #54
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
Ridiculous!

Fred
It's true. A real knobby is something along the lines of the Michelin Desert, IRC VE-33, D606, D908RR, etc

Even the MT21 is more of a true knobbie than the TKC. Just look at the tread patterns, it's pretty obvious.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #55
ggamster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
My $0.11, I have the Karoos on my G650X, I have road the TKC's on the Adventure. I think that overall the TKC's are a much better tire both on and off road than the Karoos. I can corner (in the dry) just fine with them. The bottom line however is that they are very over priced. I think they are trying to rape every cent from you due to the limited number of companies supplying a well wearing knobby type of tire. I just mounted those Full-bore USA Adventure Tires on my f800gs. I rail through the turns with them. They do great on mixed surfaces as well. As long as you are not on single track or a mud bog they are great. Just the other day I was doing 70-90 mph on potted dirt/gravel roads. Very stable. And they are something like $93 shipped for the rear on ebay and $65 or so for the front. I only have about 500 miles on them so far. But even if I have to change them out twice as often as the TKC's I wouldn't come close to the price I would pay for one set of the others.
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #56
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggamster View Post
I just mounted those Full-bore USA Adventure Tires
Which tires are these? I've never heard of them. Link?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #57
steveyak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
dyna beads

I'm surprised no one mentioned dyna beads load them up. My tkc's took at least a few hundred miles to get right at the highway speeds and some dialing in of tire pressure. but they are now great and have dragged the pegs on a few occasions
steveyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #58
daemon
ZA rider

Oddometer: 49
Anyone know what the speed rating is on the tkc's?
daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #59
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemon View Post
Anyone know what the speed rating is on the tkc's?
Q = 160kph or 99mph (for the 150/70 17 bias-ply on my F800GS)

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 05:16 AM
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #60
ggamster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Which tires are these? I've never heard of them. Link?

I had never heard of them. I just saw them on ebay and thought I would give them a shot. All good so far. Here is the link. I just thought "we'll i've pissed away a $100 tons of time. I'll give them a shot."
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200662946712...84.m1423.l2649
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote