Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 05:33 AM   #61
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyak View Post
...dyna beads load them up. My tkc's took at least a few hundred miles to get right at the highway speeds and some dialing in of tire pressure....
Don't those beads reposition themselves everytime you stop and start moving?

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #62
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggamster View Post
I had never heard of them. I just saw them on ebay and thought I would give them a shot. All good so far. Here is the link. I just thought "we'll i've pissed away a $100 tons of time. I'll give them a shot."
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200662946712...84.m1423.l2649
Those are Shinko 705 tires. I have them on my F8. Looks like the ebay seller is getting them from the manufacturer with a different branding on them. What do the sidewalls say on yours?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx
Old 01-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #63
steveyak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
yup thats the great part of them not a bad thing, everytime you take a chunk out of a knobby or get a funny wear spot ding a rim or anything else theuy move to the new right spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
Don't those beads reposition themselves everytime you stop and start moving?

Fred
steveyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #64
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
yup thats the great part of them not a bad thing, everytime you take a chunk out of a knobby or get a funny wear spot ding a rim or anything else theuy move to the new right spot
What are these beads exactly? Never heard of them. Do you have a link to the product page?
Old 01-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #65
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by thematt View Post
What are these beads exactly? Never heard of them. Do you have a link to the product page?
Dyna Beads. They're used pretty often in Jeeps and things like that, also used in some bikes... PITA to work with tubes though.

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-100-dyna-beads.aspx
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #66
OrcasKen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post
Dyna Beads. PITA to work with tubes though.
How's that? I've got them in my tubes and other than the initial install, they've been great. For the initial install, I found that by lightly tapping on the valve stem helped the beads feed in faster. And on tire changes, the beads stay in place and move on over to the next tire just fine, unliked tubeless tires where you've got to capture all those beads before taking the tire off the rim. All in all, I've been quite happy with them on my F8.

Note that when using dynabeads, remember to check your air with the valve stem at the bottom of the rotation, otherwise a bead can get caught up in valve.
OrcasKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #67
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcasKen View Post
How's that? I've got them in my tubes and other than the initial install, they've been great. For the initial install, I found that by lightly tapping on the valve stem helped the beads feed in faster. And on tire changes, the beads stay in place and move on over to the next tire just fine, unliked tubeless tires where you've got to capture all those beads before taking the tire off the rim. All in all, I've been quite happy with them on my F8.

Note that when using dynabeads, remember to check your air with the valve stem at the bottom of the rotation, otherwise a bead can get caught up in valve.
Wow, these are a genius invention. I'm definitely ordering some today.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #68
FredRydr

Quote:
Then why do they take at least a few hundred miles to get right? They always change!

Fred
Old 01-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #69
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Then why do they take at least a few hundred miles to get right? They always change!

Fred
If you have water (condensation, say) in your tube, they'll stick to that and not re-arrange themselves freely.

I've been using them on different bikes and different tires for quite a while with no issues.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #70
Effisland
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
they work great for me

Just going on the record to say that after installing my TKC's last year, I have thoroughly enjoyed having them on the bike, both in dirt and thick mud and also on the highway. They felt weird at first because they grip the road so well, they kind of make you feel like they are going to pull the bike down. But no! They stick to pavement like glue - and winter time I feel much safer on cold icy streets than the standard scorpion tires. Also, speed wise I was surprised that I felt no difference at 120 kms/hr, no increased vibrations. Just inflate to max. You can always deflate in the dirt.

Bought a new rear tire for 40% off this fall but didn't need to install it yet. Expensive, so the discount was appreciated! The front still has plenty of wear. Didn't notice any 'scalloping' or spooning of the knobbies. And yes, these are 'real' knobbies!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #71
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effisland View Post
And yes, these are 'real' knobbies!
No not really. Maybe compared to what you've been riding on previously but TKCs are not considered knobbies; they're dual sport tires.

These are knobbies:

These are TKCs

Old 01-19-2012, 04:53 AM   #72
FredRydr

Quote:
...TKCs are not considered knobbies....
Oh brother. If TKC isn't a knobby tread, WTF is it? I guess it's chest pounding time!

Fred
Old 01-19-2012, 04:57 AM   #73
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Oh brother. If TKC isn't a knobby tread, WTF is it? I guess it's chest pounding time!
Meh. It's a technicality.

As far as most of us (and realistic situations) are concerned, they're knobby. For tire manufacturers and thematt, they're dual-sport tires.

According to the strictest definition, even tires like Dunlop 606s are dual sport tires... Are any "true knobbies" DOT legal?
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #74
Effisland
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
No not really. Maybe compared to what you've been riding on previously but TKCs are not considered knobbies; they're dual sport tires.

These are knobbies:
Not to be an anal stickler for detail, but you are comparing a front tire to a rear tire. The front TKCs are easily as 'knobby' as the one you've shown there.

I guess my point was that after running my bike through a swamp and deep sand and mud, I made it through no problem. So any way you slice it or whatever label you put on the tires, I am ok with you saying they are not 'knobbies'. It's just a colloquial term anyways.

Peace!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #75
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effisland View Post
Not to be an anal stickler for detail, but you are comparing a front tire to a rear tire. The front TKCs are easily as 'knobby' as the one you've shown there.

I guess my point was that after running my bike through a swamp and deep sand and mud, I made it through no problem. So any way you slice it or whatever label you put on the tires, I am ok with you saying they are not 'knobbies'. It's just a colloquial term anyways.

Peace!
Those are both rear tires in the photos. Different sizes but they are both rears.

When I discuss tires with my riding friends its always been the definition that knobbies are what you put on for anything > 75% dirt and they ride like shit on the road. A dual sport tire that is made for 50/50 or maybe a bit more, like the TKC is, has a less aggressive profile than a general knobby tire and can be used on the road without wearing out in 1000 miles and without rattling your teeth.

Here's the front and rear of that terraflex tire from above.

Here's the TKC front and rear.

But yeah, it's all semantics. All dual sport tires have knobs to a degree or another.

señormoto screwed with this post 01-19-2012 at 03:05 PM
señormoto is offline   Reply With Quote