Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2014, 01:28 AM   #76
stege
Wonderer

Oddometer: 287
This happened on 22 August last year while riding the motorcycle with my wife.

I first saw something in the clouds, mind this was a perfect day - miles of visibility, clear sky with couple of clouds, 26C, mid day. Pulled over and watched for about 5 minutes a dark colored disc making "slow" turns in the clouds and disperse parts of the cloud while maneuvering. It was more visible with the polarized glasses on. Both my wife and I saw this and while having a DSLR in the tankbag, neither of us thought to get it out and snap some photos, thats how hypnotic the encounter was.

I cannot say it was an UFO, saw these by the hundreds. This was a made object and not from around. It looked like a coin, flat not domed, and it was the size of your big thumb fingernail while holding your hand towards the sky.
It looked translucent at times but I think this was due to the fact that it was partially covered by clouds. The way it moved clouds around it, flipping gracefully from a side to another made me think it was a massive object, like 100 meters in diameter or so. The sighting took 5 minutes or so then the object disappeared for good into the clouds.

Almost had an accident trying to spot it again in the skies after I continued my journey on the motorcycle.

And just like someone said it before, this encounter made me more aware of the sky, especially when travelling to isolated regions with big sky openings.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #77
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran69 View Post
Now I bet a year salary that this thread is gonna and up in YO MAMA
05-GS- Rock Red 89k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #78
aterry1067
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
I actually enjoy discussing this topic, and others similar, especially after a beer or two. Personally I remember seeing something when I was young that I still can't explain. It was late 70's, I was 8, walking at night with the family. Three white lights that didn't seem to be connected by structure came from the left, proceeding right, and seemed to be looking around many of the open fields in the area. I remember the beams were fairly narrow and solid. The most fwd light eventually shined on us and it appeared to come very close and bright, almost checking us out. It then backed up, and seemed to look around in the area for a bit more, maybe another 1 minute to 90 seconds. After that, the three lights seemed to align in formation and then streaked across the sky that would be unreachable speeds even by todays standard, and disappearing by leaving sight rather than going over the horizon. At this point there was a small red light that came from the original direction of the other three lights, and followed a straight line path in the same direction that they had traveled, at the same or near the same speed that the original lights left the area. I.e., the red light was hauling ass, and didn't mill around like the others did. The oddest thing was that during all of this, there was almost zero sound. This was in a farmland area in east TN in the middle of summer, and there were no dogs barking, no crickets, no frogs, nothing; sounds that were normal and should have been there, weren't. I know I was 8, and it was many years ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday. Now that I am all grown up, I work in aviation for a major defence contractor, and have seen many man-made things fly that the majority of the public hasn't. I was also in the USAF for 10 years. I do believe that 99% of the unexplained things that people see, does have a reasonable explanation. Even a common aircraft approaching at an irregular angle can look really weird. And something else, MOST aircraft that we see are following standard flight patterns. When we see an aircraft that travels outside of a flight pattern that we aren't accustomed to seeing, it can play tricks on our eyes and brains. All this I understand and accept. And I would be happy to believe a reasonable explanation to what I saw when I was young. But, after seeing many of the things that I have seen, that is still one of the things that I can't explain, even with a far-fetched explanation. If there had been any sound at all, I could pass it off. But the lack of any sound is what made such an impact on me. I have also taken many courses on aircraft crash investigation, and I understand that an eye witness is the least reliable type of information. With that, I can believe that anyone else may have an entirely different memory of the experience. And I am willing to dismiss the visual aspect of my memory. But the sound, or the lack of it, is what I remember most, and was the one thing we were all well aware of, and all commented on.
aterry1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #79
GaryM
Huh? What?

Oddometer: 72
I saw one just last week....

It was round and shiny and coming straight at me. I ran as fast as I could but apparently not fast enough. I saw a bright flash and went unconscious. When I awoke I had a splitting headache but at least I found a really neat hubcap laying next to me to remember my close encounter....
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #80
LosAlrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
ufo?

While flying over remote northern California late one night about 20 years ago, we witnessed a bright light that was travelling at very high rate of speed. The interesting thing about it was its ability to make instantaneous, abrupt changes to its flight path. We asked ATC if there were any military operations being conducted in his airspace and he stated that there were none and then out of curiosity he asked why were we enquiring. We described what we were watching and another airliner on frequency stated that he was watching the same thing. This went on for probably five minutes before the thing accelerated out of sight. To this day I have no idea what it was but not too long ago this topic came up and a colleague mentioned that he had witnessed something identical at some point in his career.
I believe there is a LOT of stuff out there that many are quick to dismiss unless they have experienced it. Cattle mutilations, spirits, ufo's...I have a very open mind about these types of things.
LosAlrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #81
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 912
If you're interested in this stuff, you might enjoy the book Messengers of Deception:
http://www.amazon.com/Messengers-Dec.../dp/097572004X

If I had to write a quick summary it might be: a lot of people have strange UFO/ET experiences, but the things they encounter aren't what they seem.

It's been awhile, but I remember it like this: The author began as an astronomer and non-believer in UFOs (If they exist why aren't they seen by the observatories?). Then he saw anomalous data being discarded at his observatory by serious scientists who didn't want to be tainted by UFO sightings. At this point he became a believer in UFOs/ETs, and started years of investigation. But what he found when investigating didn't add up...
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:14 AM   #82
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,527
Years ago, early 70s IIRC, I was visiting relatives outside of West Linn, Oregon. The area was fairly rural, and one foggy day while the relatives were occupied, I decided to go hike around in the woods. Following a pretty good trail, I realized that I had come to the edge of the woods, as it looked like I was approaching something.... industrial. I could hear noises, and it looked like a loading ramp going up into a cargo thing. Dots moving up at an angle into a larger, mostly obscured, object. Can still see it in my mind. Clanking and humming noises, muffled by fog. For some reason I stood and watched it for a while, no idea how long, and then realized I was standing there staring out into the fog, and nothing was there.
Later, that day or the next, I asked my cousin about the built-up area near him, and what it was. He was puzzled. We went out there so I could show him what I was talking about, and I found out why he was puzzled. There was no industrial area there, just a clearing, and the grass/veg had been matted down. The day we went to look was nice and sunny.
Still no idea what I saw.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #83
LosAlrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
If I had to write a quick summary it might be: a lot of people have strange UFO/ET ex

OK, I can go with that. But I'm still left wondering what it was that I witnessed. It was truly bizarre. Because of that experience, my mind is open to other phenomenon... call me crazy...
LosAlrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:47 AM   #84
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
When I go to the lake I often see things in the sky. Planes, asteroids, satellites, even saw that big comet years ago, but never saw any UFOs.

If there was a supernatural thread, I'd have stuff to contribute.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #85
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Helper View Post
If there was a supernatural thread, I'd have stuff to contribute.
Do tell? The house I grew up in has haunts/spirits/presences. Our family is mostly pretty comfortable with them, but they've scared guests.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #86
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio_Danimal View Post
And I actually thought the maturity and intelect (intellect) level here were sufficient to allow an actual duscission (discussion) .

It's normal for people to make fun of things they don't understand I guess. It works as a defense mechanism when your paradigm is challenged.
Have a look at the forum title. The perfect line and other riding myths

This has NOTHING to do with either. The posts are going to be ridiculous... It is our way of getting the thread punted to the basement where it should have been started to begin with.

Maybe it will survive in Fluff.

Try starting it in Inmates

DAKEZ screwed with this post 01-19-2014 at 09:39 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #87
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,307
Dakez-

it's 3 years old.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #88
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADurstewitz View Post
It was triangular and immense. The guys I work with were really freaked out by it.

There have been rumors about this one for years. John Pike, who is one of the more believable writers on the subject of black military projects and UFO sightings claimed that the US was operating some very large high performance inflatable airships. Sadly, I can't find a link to his original articles. This however might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Lights
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #89
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeforktx View Post

It's on Hwy 276 between Quinlan Texas and Rockwall Texas..been there for years...I have drove past it 1000's of times... Matter of fact..drove by it on Tuesday..it's been painted sevaral times it was purple for awhile..but nobody has realy done anything with it ..been there for 30 years I know of , maybe longer...cool though...

I see that this post is a few years old. Any new information?

Rockwall has a weird reputation. The "wall" seems to be natural geological formation but there are many - including some folks in town that seem to want to encourage tourist traffic - insist that the wall was created by a race of giants that were in the USA before the Spanish arrived.

I will pass on expressing an opinion here.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #90
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeforktx View Post
He has a theory that ball lightning may be a naturally occurring force free magnetic field/ball of plasma (the physics of it is way over my head). He dug up lots of interesting ball lightning reports.

I personally spoke with a USAF EC-135 flight crew that had what appeared to be ball lightning enter the fuselage of the aircraft and travel aft along the wire bundles/control cables.

Chinese researchers claimed yesterday that they had recorded ball lightning for the first time: http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57...or-first-time/