ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #91
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
I'll throw in a few comments, just to stir the pot.

I have had an interest in UFOs and that sort of thing for years. Not so much as a True Believer, but mostly to gather material for writing projects that never got off the ground. Lots of strange tales, and lots of bitching back and forth within the UFO community as to whether someone was believable, misrepresenting their credentials, or whatever.

I personally have never had an encounter or sighting on my own. Just talked to a number of folks, and had an interesting early career with the only company in the USA that actually made nukes, and have heard a buncha stories from some better-than-average connected folks.

Frankly, my feeling is that almost every one of these stories is a spook military project of some sort. Which doesn't keep UFO stories from being interesting.

Just a few tales to ponder:

* In the early days of email and newsgroups (yes, there was such a day) I had several lengthy email conversations with John Lear. You can Google him for more info but he is the son of Bill Lear (of Learjet fame). John was an exceptionally well-qualified commercial pilot in his own right. John used to seem as sane as anyone that you'd ever know but then he'd tell you about tunnels under Area 51, a vast network that stretched for hundreds of miles, and multiple races of aliens that have been fighting each other in the desert for decades. Hmmm ...

* And, of course, there is that whole Bob Lazar thing. He claimed to have worked at Area 51, reverse engineering ET technology. Lots of people are skeptical of him but he does have his supporters. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Lazar

* Then, of course, there was that Phillip Corso thing. Corso, late in life, wrote a book claiming that he was involved when technology from the Roswell crash occurred and helped get that technology into production. OK, kinda hard to swallow except that Corso was a uniquely well qualified military officer and that has been documented. Once again, a lot of skeptics, but why would an ultra-conservative man on Strom Thurmond's staff risk his reputaton? For money? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_J._Corso

* In 1999 I took a trip to Rachel, NV, the closest town to Area 51, and hung with some locals at the only bar in town, the Little A'Le'Inn. It was sorta your basic group of mixed nuts but I did have a good conversation with a handful of "normal" folks. One guy told me that he was an astronomer (retired professional who had taught at a university as I recall) and that he had basically innocently come out to the area because it was so remote and suitable for his studies. But he had seen so many odd sights that he moved in permanently. Anyway, several locals talked about two things: A vertical launched vehicle that would return several days later so they assumed it was going into orbit years ahead of any announcement of such a technology. And balls of light that skimmed around the desert floor at amazing speeds (as calculated by the astronomer) which I was given several explanations as to why this was a physical object and not a projection.

Moving on to local (Texas border) and more obscure stuff ...

* Every so often one of the cable channels - History, I think - runs a show on what they call Mexico's Roswell. The story is told by a gent named Torres that the Mexican military tried to move a crashed UFO out of the desert a bit south of Presidio, TX. One thing lead to another and the US military became aware that the convoy was stopped and every soldier appeared dead. So a raid of US soldiers and heavy lift helicopters was quickly put together and the US retrieved the UFO. http://rense.com/general95/EdinburgLocalSpeakers.pdf

Well ... you can take these tales with a grain of salt. I have been wanting to get out and ride to the location myself for the last few years but haven't been able to. But ... if anyone is interested in riding into the desert around Coyame, MX this fall then let me know.

- I tracked Torres down and corresponded with him a few years ago. Had I realized that he was teaching at the university maybe 10 miles from where I was living at in Mission, TX I would have taken him out to lunch.
- He gave me some info that was missing from the TV show. Everything seems to check out on Google Earth.
- His party found several trucks and truck scrap that they thought might have been ex-military but they were not sure. I want to eyeball them myself; if anyone has read my stuff on some of the truck and RV treads I suspect there would be some agreement that Yours Truly can likely identify obscure foreign military odds and ends.
- I discovered that there were actually two episodes of the USA shooting stray missiles into Mexico during the Cold War days that were not exactly well publicized.
1) We sent a stray V2/disputed rocket from White Sands (coincidentally near Roswell) into the suburbs of Juarez. http://io9.com/5909476/remember-the-...german-rockets
2) We also lost another missile maybe 400 miles south of that area in 1970. Lots of rumors about this one, including that the USA assured the Mexicans there was nothing dangerous on the rocket but that we built rail lines and hauled away car loads of sand just in case. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapim%C3%AD_Silent_Zone

Anyway ... plenty of weird tales. Some of them documented and admitted to by the Feds.

* Finally, Torres has another tale of a crash slightly inside Mexico and near Langtry, TX. Pretty rugged area over there. Even Langtry's Wiki listening mentions this tale. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langtry,_Texas
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #92
couchtater
hunting wabbits
 
couchtater's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Dez Dreams
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I see that this post is a few years old. Any new information?

Rockwall has a weird reputation. The "wall" seems to be natural geological formation but there are many - including some folks in town that seem to want to encourage tourist traffic - insist that the wall was created by a race of giants that were in the USA before the Spanish arrived.

I will pass on expressing an opinion here.
There is a program on History channel called Unearthing America. It is hosted by a geologist, Scott Wolter. He recently devoted a show to Rockwall, TX. He didn't seem to believe his own findings, or didn't want to.
couchtater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #93
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
I think that I saw that, and I read a review somewhere that really blasted the show. It probably won't get me to take a road trip to check it out, that's for sure.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #94
* SHAG *
Unstable
 
* SHAG *'s Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Bradford, Pa
Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post

* Then, of course, there was that Phillip Corso thing. Corso, late in life, wrote a book claiming that he was involved when technology from the Roswell crash occurred and helped get that technology into production. OK, kinda hard to swallow except that Corso was a uniquely well qualified military officer and that has been documented. Once again, a lot of skeptics, but why would an ultra-conservative man on Strom Thurmond's staff risk his reputaton? For money? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_J._Corso

* In 1999 I took a trip to Rachel, NV, the closest town to Area 51, and hung with some locals at the only bar in town, the Little A'Le'Inn. It was sorta your basic group of mixed nuts but I did have a good conversation with a handful of "normal" folks. One guy told me that he was an astronomer (retired professional who had taught at a university as I recall) and that he had basically innocently come out to the area because it was so remote and suitable for his studies.
I just watched the Corser thing on the History Channel yesterday. Had not seen it before. Very interesting !!!

I've stayed overnite at the Lil-A-Le-Inn 3 times since 2006. It's a blast and the food is pretty good. Rode out to both gates to Area-51 each time also. You can't really get to the actual front gate. You have to stop on the corner before it where the Camo Dudes sit. The first time we stopped at the "mailbox" for the usual pics. As soon as we started down the dirt road to 51rd from the Medlin Ranch, my engine warning light came on (05GS) and then my GPS went blank. They had told us at the Inn that our GPS's would go blank. After the Do0d driving the bus almost ran us over at the corner where the camo dudes sit, we hightailed it back to ET375 paved road where GPS's came back online and my engine warning light went off.

I got a vid of the bus taking people to work at the facility down 51rd in 2008.

__________________
2013 Yamaha TW200 2k
99-RT- Graphite 50k Gone
01-GS- Mandarin 42k Gone
05-GS- Rock Red 91k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:03 AM   #95
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: The land of Buzzards and Border Patrols
Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naq View Post
I've seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion and watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. Does that count?
Is that from '' BLADE RUNNER'' D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 AM   #96
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by * SHAG * View Post
I just watched the Corser thing on the History Channel yesterday. Had not seen it before. Very interesting !!!

I've stayed overnite at the Lil-A-Le-Inn 3 times since 2006. It's a blast and the food is pretty good. Rode out to both gates to Area-51 each time also. You can't really get to the actual front gate. You have to stop on the corner before it where the Camo Dudes sit. The first time we stopped at the "mailbox" for the usual pics. As soon as we started down the dirt road to 51rd from the Medlin Ranch, my engine warning light came on (05GS) and then my GPS went blank. They had told us at the Inn that our GPS's would go blank. After the Do0d driving the bus almost ran us over at the corner where the camo dudes sit, we hightailed it back to ET375 paved road where GPS's came back online and my engine warning light went off.

I got a vid of the bus taking people to work at the facility down 51rd in 2008.

That's wild!

I remember when Glenn Campbell did tours and ran the Desert Rat (http://www.ufomind.com/area51/desert_rat/) but by the time that I got there I wasn't in a position to do much more than hang and drink at the Inn. Returning and hanging longer has been on my Bucket List for some time. Glad that you had the opportunity.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:15 AM   #97
1911fan
Master of the Obvious
 
1911fan's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: North Central Washington
Oddometer: 2,736
Yup, near the end when Rutger Hauer's character is near death. Great movie.


1911fan
__________________
Read The Patriot Post -- It's Right. It's Free.
http://patriotpost.us/subscribe/

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #98
* SHAG *
Unstable
 
* SHAG *'s Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Bradford, Pa
Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
That's wild!

Returning and hanging longer has been on my Bucket List for some time. Glad that you had the opportunity.
The last time I was there with a buddy a few years ago, the town of Rachel had been gifted a used working fire truck from another town/county that had bought a new one? It was sitting right there at the Inn ready to roll, but there was a town meeting held at the dedication to decide who would be responsible to drive it and keep it maintained. After interviewing all parties, the officials said that no one living there was deemed fit to operate it because they were all alcoholics
__________________
2013 Yamaha TW200 2k
99-RT- Graphite 50k Gone
01-GS- Mandarin 42k Gone
05-GS- Rock Red 91k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #99
Falconx84
Lurker
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Chinese researchers claimed yesterday that they had recorded ball lightning for the first time: http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57...or-first-time/
They also documented an air to air missile striking its target


Http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12321492
__________________
V-Strom DL1000k7
Falconx84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #100
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 7,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio_Danimal View Post
ME lighten up?

What I said is a common cliche used in the sciences. Maybe you weren't aware of that.



Or maybe you missed my initial post where I asked for stupid feedback to go elsewhere. The main reason this whole subject is treated as it is is because of the innane amount of ridicule and disrespect witnesses are forced to face.

I could care less that you feel that any thread here is open season for "humor"

I don't find it funny at all

I have to agree with the teasing crowd. Being so sensitive makes you look mentally unstable and causes the loss of credibility for the whole thread. Lighten up.

As a scientist, I have some appreciation for the size of the galaxy, and vaguely of the universe. I think it is mathematically possible (if not probable) that there are other life forms out there. I haven't seen any myself, but the nature of the question makes ruling it out impossible.

I haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if it has already been discussed: have you guys seen the TV show Ancient Aliens? Much of it sounds like fruit loop stuff, but some of it really makes you wonder. Ancient drawings of odd looking people in clear helmets, things like that.

Personally, I would like to meet an ET some day, though I'm sure I would be scared shitless. I doubt it will ever happen, though, because nothing cool ever happens to me. At best, I'll probably get molested by Big Foot (I'm JOKING! Lighten up!)
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #101
100mpg
This sentance intent
 
100mpg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ionally finished in this space.
Oddometer: 16,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconx84 View Post
They also documented an air to air missile striking its target


Http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12321492
top gun?
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #102
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by * SHAG * View Post
The last time I was there with a buddy a few years ago, the town of Rachel had been gifted a used working fire truck from another town/county that had bought a new one? It was sitting right there at the Inn ready to roll, but there was a town meeting held at the dedication to decide who would be responsible to drive it and keep it maintained. After interviewing all parties, the officials said that no one living there was deemed fit to operate it because they were all alcoholics

Now that's funny!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #103
* SHAG *
Unstable
 
* SHAG *'s Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Bradford, Pa
Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Have you guys seen the TV show Ancient Aliens? Much of it sounds like fruit loop stuff, but some of it really makes you wonder. Ancient drawings of odd looking people in clear helmets, things like that.

Personally, I would like to meet an ET some day, though I'm sure I would be scared shitless. I doubt it will ever happen, though, because nothing cool ever happens to me. At best, I'll probably get molested by Big Foot (I'm JOKING! Lighten up!)
Ancient Aliens is a great series. I think it's on the 2nd or 3rd season. It sure make you wonder.

Have you seen the movie "PAUL"? If not, watch it! Funny stuff!

__________________
2013 Yamaha TW200 2k
99-RT- Graphite 50k Gone
01-GS- Mandarin 42k Gone
05-GS- Rock Red 91k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold

* SHAG * screwed with this post 01-23-2014 at 06:43 PM
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:07 AM   #104
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: The land of Buzzards and Border Patrols
Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
So what the hell did you see when you were 15? And be serious!! This is a serious thread! No joking around!
I saw a chupacabra years ago before chupacabras were cool. No one would believe me. Out here on the border I do see weird things but so far no UFOs. Only OTMs, you remember ''Born in East LA'' ? BP was chasing 20+ Hondurans recently, never did catch them all. So there are really some Aliens (illegal) out here. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:33 AM   #105
stege
Wonderer
 
stege's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: wherever home is
Oddometer: 287
Do you also have a vid with your GPS going blank/ online again? Or with the engine light?



Quote:
Originally Posted by * SHAG * View Post
I just watched the Corser thing on the History Channel yesterday. Had not seen it before. Very interesting !!!

I've stayed overnite at the Lil-A-Le-Inn 3 times since 2006. It's a blast and the food is pretty good. Rode out to both gates to Area-51 each time also. You can't really get to the actual front gate. You have to stop on the corner before it where the Camo Dudes sit. The first time we stopped at the "mailbox" for the usual pics. As soon as we started down the dirt road to 51rd from the Medlin Ranch, my engine warning light came on (05GS) and then my GPS went blank. They had told us at the Inn that our GPS's would go blank. After the Do0d driving the bus almost ran us over at the corner where the camo dudes sit, we hightailed it back to ET375 paved road where GPS's came back online and my engine warning light went off.

I got a vid of the bus taking people to work at the facility down 51rd in 2008.




__________________
the older I get the faster I was
stege is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014