Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #31
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
I'd drill 8 holes for each strip of rebar, dress the plugs down with a grinder then a flap disc and no one will ever see the repair!

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:31 AM   #32
ontic

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Double check how the Ohlins fits make sure your not interfering with anything.
^What he said^ In mocking up my subframe reinforcements I had to do a slight S-bend to get around my Ohlins, it is hard to see in the picture as actual bends are pretty much in line with the camera angle, but a straight line would have rubbed on the spring. There is a slight bend just after it passes the spring, and then another one back the other way as it passes the pannier frame.

I can't remember what exhaust you have, but if you do the other side, that too will probably require a bit of checking. Mine needs a severe bend

I'm sorry to hear about the work and money situation. I've been there. A lot of you guys and girls seem to be doing it a bit tough over there at the moment.
For the time being I'm kinda trapped in a trade job that I am not happy with, and which has nothing to do with what I have spent the last 8 years studying, but now that I am not studying full time anymore, at least I can work full time and it pays the bills with enough left over to play.
Good luck with it all.
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #33
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,244
Worked on the subframe a bit today, and per your request I've removed the rebar and got a piece of round stock. Just made 2 gussets, 4 to go. No pics and I still have to weld the plug holes.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #34
Lornce
Lost In Place

Jenna,
Round stock and tubing aren't the same thing, but you knew that, right?
Don't mean to tell you what to do, but round stock won't work to strengthen the frame the way tubing will.

Is there any way you can get some free tubing?

Old junk bicycle seat and chain stays (the tubes forming the triangle holding a bicycle's rear wheel), etc?

Old 12-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #35
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Jenna,
Round stock and tubing aren't the same thing, but you knew that, right?
Don't mean to tell you what to do, but round stock won't work to strengthen the frame the way tubing will...

Care to explain?

baldwithglasses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #36
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwithglasses View Post
Care to explain?

It is tubing. I call it round stock cause that's what my welder friend calls it. probably a regional thing. dontcha know I'm in the south and we like to make words up. ie: Jeet? Translation: Did you eat?
Old 12-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #37
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
I mean, what's the functional difference between using round stock and round tubing on a subframe-type repair?
baldwithglasses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #38
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwithglasses View Post
Care to explain?

Go find a 12" piece of mild steel round stock small enough to fit the internal diameter of an airhead's sub-frame and try to bend it.

Now go find a similar sized piece of tubing from, say, an old junk bicycle's chain or seat stay and try to bend that.

Different shaped pieces of similar materials have differing inherant strengths.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #39
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
It is tubing. I call it round stock cause that's what my welder friend calls it. probably a regional thing. dontcha know I'm in the south and we like to make words up. ie: Jeet? Translation: Did you eat?
Got'cha.

We noticed rtwdoug sort of spoke his own language when he was here.
Some of it even sounded vaguely english.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #40
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,422
Dang, I need to check ADV more! Why didn't you call me? Heck, I've got a pile of steel up here. I ought to have something you could use.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #41
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Dang, I need to check ADV more! Why didn't you call me? Heck, I've got a pile of steel up here. I ought to have something you could use.
I got something today, and didn't want to bug you. I feel like everytime I call you lately I'm in need of assistance. Just wanted to fix something on my own. But i may need some help altering the luggage racks.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #42
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,384
That crack is like a super easy repair. Any weldor with a MIG could repair that in a jiffy. No drama.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #43
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,422
heck, it's not like I got a busy schedule I like your rebar-in-the-tube idea. I'd have done the same thing. That brace you added looks perfect. . Now you need to start riding harder until that fails. Breaking these things is half the fun!

What heat setting are you using? You really don't need to turn it up that high for the mild tubing on those subframes. I think the D setting would blow right through it.

My racks are 3 or 4 pounds heavier than most I've seen but I've jumped the bike with the boxes loaded tons of times and they've held up. I broke the sub-frame mounting point on my main frame once. The one where the subframe bolts to the shock mount. The bolt that holds my right support bar had rattled loose so that support wasn't doing anything. It goes to show that those supports are critical. I know your racks have a support going down to the right side passenger peg but it doesn't seem like a strong piece of metal. Using that point will spread out your load a bit. I wish the left side passenger peg came off the main frame instead of the muffler so we could use it. Still, I'd make as much use of that right side foot peg as you can when you reinforce the racks for the boxes.

The bars I used are 1/4" by 3/4" flat stock so they're not light but I think weight is a secondary concern here. It might seem like overkill but I haven't seen anyone else that's willing to stand on their box tops and jump up and down.

I love these stumps. I made it a habit for months to jump them every time I came home so I'd get used to it. I tried jumping from the yard into the street a few times but I kept running into my neighbors bushes

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 12-04-2011 at 09:35 PM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #44
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,646
Hey Jenna,
it looks like yours is a mono shock? But I have a /7 rear subframe you are welcome to have if it would work?
I have the front frame also :)

too bad your not closer, Im good at patchin stuff up after I break it.

but, if you wanna bring the bike over to bama, we'll get it all sorted out for ya

Doug

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:49 AM   #45
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,768
Damn Jenna, I have to admit, I loved the re bar fix! That was the most craftsman like third world repair I've ever seen. You triangulated the sub frame, I don't think big gussets would be necessary, but since I way behind here, I'll move to what you currently have going.

+1 on using tubing! It is not really stronger, but it is just as strong as solid, with much less weight.
If your welds are hot enough to penetrate all the way into the tubing, adding the internal bar is not really necessary, but if you have any distrust of your welding, they will add some safety margin.
glad to see you fix this, and do it yourself. I really think the work you are doing is as good as half the weld shops you could take it to!
I always say, why pay someone to screw it up, when I can do it at home for free!

I feel your pain. I have never been so poor in my life. My little business is SLOWLY picking up, but every penny I get, goes into buying equipment, and covering bills. It can get you down, for sure.

I really am impressed, keep up the good work! Also if you need more tubing (in short lengths) I can send you plenty, I'm sure. I can bend it for you too, if needed. OK I'm done.....