User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
No Neutral light

So On my 2007 950 SE I have no Neutral light while in Neutral sometimes while shifting I can see the light come on for a second when going in to 2nd gear i was told it needs a new gear indicator switch. Has anyone changed one of these?
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
Try this...........

From HOW.

Quote:
Neutral Switch Adjustment: So, the neutral light won't stay on when you are in neautral. Sometimes if you put pressure on the lever in one direction or another with your boot, the light will come on but goes out again when pressure is released. Sound familiar? Well, a lad over on the British KTM Forum called "Howz" found a fix for his LC8 with this problem. Thanks to BLUE(UK) for the link:
"How lucky am I....!!!
I took off the side stand and undid the cover to the offending item, I could see that the contacts on the back of the cover looked a bit dirty and worn so rubbed over them lightly with a bit of wet and dry and then sprayed with contact cleaner, put it all back, it was better but still did not engage the neutral light all the time, so I took it apart again and had a look at the small stud (mine only has one) that is in the barrel, I took this out and found it has a spring behind it, so I stretched the spring just a little bit and then put it all back together again...........IT WORKS!!!"
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE(UK) View Post
From HOW.

Sweet ill try that sounds like my exact issue
Old 03-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

No luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE(UK) View Post
From HOW.

So I tried stretching the springs on my gear selector behind the pins and no dice . If I pull up a bit on the shift lever like half way to 2nd gear the light will come on but does not stay on in neutral. Guessing my sensor is no good looks like the corner is split too near the brass bushing o well it was worth a shot.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
motomal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
I've just hit the very same problem on my 2007 950SM. I tried the spring stretching and general contact cleaning. Now it gets neutral maybe 40% of the time instead of never but not enough so I ordered in the new switch, 2 springs and 2 'bullet' contacts. Waiting for a sunny day to swap the parts over. Maybe £25 for al the bits.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

It still didnt want to

Yea I see that the parts are pretty cheep but I still didn't want to do it I hate taking things apart numerous times.. O well what can you do I never really use the side stand anyway since I have a center stand

spencergt66 screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 10:08 AM
Old 03-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
martin0496
Idolum populi

Oddometer: 17
Part number please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomal View Post
I've just hit the very same problem on my 2007 950SM. I tried the spring stretching and general contact cleaning. Now it gets neutral maybe 40% of the time instead of never but not enough so I ordered in the new switch, 2 springs and 2 'bullet' contacts. Waiting for a sunny day to swap the parts over. Maybe £25 for al the bits.
Motomal, what is the part number ofr that switch?
Please let us know.
martin0496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin0496 View Post
Motomal, what is the part number ofr that switch?
Please let us know.

all from KTMtwins

KTM numbers

Switch 60011023100 $29.99
pins 60034037000 $2.99
Springs 60034014000 $0.49
Oring for switch 0770275025 $0.49
Old 04-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Wtf

Put in all the new parts today and still same issue no neutral unless you go from neutral to 2nd and then the light only comes on for a sec

Any ideas?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
motomal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Yep, me too! I have installed the new parts really carefully and get exactly the same symptoms as you with the light showing on the way from 1st to 2nd but not saying on. With the ignition on but engine off I can get the light on by holding the shift lever up towards 2nd but it will not stay on when I relax the pressure. I could understand it if the gear selection was playing up indicating the drum was not lined up in some way but everything else works fine. It makes no difference to me when riding but it is annoying if I want to run the bike on the stand.

I tried asking on here too but to no avail. Maybe if we keep this thread near the top someone smarter will find the cure… please!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Wtf???

Well now that I have 2 good switches I was thinking about this last night cause it was bothering me to no end I think If I remove the ears or bolt holes form the switch and then fabricate a clamp or lock plate using the 2 screws then I can clock the switch to the necessary position to get it to work correctly
Old 04-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
Masa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
I'm not familiar with that region, but can you remove them bolts and rotate the switch with your hand to see if the light comes on? Maybe after some wear the shifter drum doesn't sit in the right angle when on neutral? This wouldn't fix the problem, but bypass it.
Masa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Pretty much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa View Post
I'm not familiar with that region, but can you remove them bolts and rotate the switch with your hand to see if the light comes on? Maybe after some wear the shifter drum doesn't sit in the right angle when on neutral? This wouldn't fix the problem, but bypass it.

That I think is the issue, but you cannot move the switch but maybe 1/2 MM My idea was to basicly make the switch moveable to correct the wear
Old 04-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #14
kennyh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Same issue here for a good while now. Mine has progressed to the point where the light comes on in second and stays on until I tap it up to third. Shifting is otherwise fine. Wonder how many of us have extra switches laying around now? I've gotten used to it. No neutral light on my 450 either...
Old 04-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Dam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyh View Post
Same issue here for a good while now. Mine has progressed to the point where the light comes on in second and stays on until I tap it up to third. Shifting is otherwise fine. Wonder how many of us have extra switches laying around now? I've gotten used to it. No neutral light on my 450 either...

LOL glad Im not the only one its really not that big of a deal but at the same time its one of those things that just gets to ya