ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #16
motomal
Gnarly Adventurer
 
motomal's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Devon, U.K.
Oddometer: 164
So we have perfectly good original sensors? Let's make the two mounting holes slightly slotted, it only needs 1 to 2 mm right? The should then be enough rotation in the switch to get it lined up correctly and it shouldn't affect the oil seal either.

I'll dig out the old part and see about modifying it over the next few days...
__________________
2007 KTM 950 SM
motomal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #17
motomal
Gnarly Adventurer
 
motomal's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Devon, U.K.
Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyh View Post
Same issue here for a good while now. Mine has progressed to the point where the light comes on in second and stays on until I tap it up to third. Shifting is otherwise fine. Wonder how many of us have extra switches laying around now? I've gotten used to it. No neutral light on my 450 either...
It just occurred to me that if you still have the EPC fitted and enabled on your bike it could be all to cock if it thinks it's in 2nd when it's actually in 3rd and so on. I know we have EPC in the EU but not sure on US models?
__________________
2007 KTM 950 SM
motomal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #18
kennyh
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kennyh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Friendsville, TN
Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencergt66 View Post
LOL glad Im not the only one its really not that big of a deal but at the same time its one of those things that just gets to ya
Agreed, I much prefer to have things working as designed. I still giggle like a shoolgirl every time I ride the thing though. What a motorcycle it is!
__________________
Smugmug referral code : 01cndVMii0Dl2
kennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #19
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer
 
pebble35's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Jersey, Channel Islands
Oddometer: 1,351
This all sounds a bit familiar - read my story here

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/adventure/...next-week.html

Done 15,000 miles now since the bike went back together and the light is still working fine
__________________
Proud to be supporting Pyndon
www.lyndonposkittracing.com

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #20
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
This all sounds a bit familiar - read my story here

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/adventure/...next-week.html

Done 15,000 miles now since the bike went back together and the light is still working fine

Dont think mine has moved quite so much as mine only shows neutral half way to 2nd
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #21
kennyh
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kennyh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Friendsville, TN
Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
This all sounds a bit familiar - read my story here
Looks like the answer finally, thanks!

Were you able to move the end plate of the shift drum that was removed? Was the plate glued in to position or something? Just trying to figure out if there is some potential for failure in the part that needs to be addressed.
__________________
Smugmug referral code : 01cndVMii0Dl2
kennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #22
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer
 
pebble35's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Jersey, Channel Islands
Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyh View Post
Looks like the answer finally, thanks!

Were you able to move the end plate of the shift drum that was removed? Was the plate glued in to position or something? Just trying to figure out if there is some potential for failure in the part that needs to be addressed.
From memory it was a tight push fit - not glued or pinned in place. Got the old part at work and will check tomorrow.
__________________
Proud to be supporting Pyndon
www.lyndonposkittracing.com

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #23
motomal
Gnarly Adventurer
 
motomal's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Devon, U.K.
Oddometer: 164
Had a weather window this afternoon and tackled the issue. I had a look at which way the spring loaded contact moved when I moved the gear lever towards 2nd and figured the holes in the sensor needed elongating in the anti-clockwise direction when viewed from the outer face of the sensor. 15 minutes with a needle file and…



Trial fitted it but not quite enough rotation. I was trying to leave a little of the brass in the hole but not sure if it was that important. Anyway, a little more filing and…



Perfect!

Don't know if it will last but my neutral light now comes on when I'm in neutral, yay!

I thought about trying to rotate the disc on the end of the shift drum but thought that it was likely I would knock something out of alignment with the gear selectors, especially not having seen the inside on the cases. A fix for now anyway especially as I modified the old, now spare sensor.
__________________
2007 KTM 950 SM
motomal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #24
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer
 
Peanuts's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Oddometer: 1,416
I think I would make up a tool and try turning the disc on the end of the drum (without breaking the motor apart), then pop mark the edges to lock it in place ;)
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #25
motomal
Gnarly Adventurer
 
motomal's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Devon, U.K.
Oddometer: 164
I'm guessing the disc with the two spring-loaded contacts is separate to the rest of the drum? It must be pretty tight in there despite the fact it can obviously move! I'd be very reluctant to apply more than a little force, even just turning the disc for fear of knocking the shift forks out of alignment, after all something is going to be resisting the turning force you will be applying.

Maybe someone braver can try! For now, I'm happy.
__________________
2007 KTM 950 SM
motomal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #26
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Oddometer: 673
Wicked Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomal View Post
Had a weather window this afternoon and tackled the issue. I had a look at which way the spring loaded contact moved when I moved the gear lever towards 2nd and figured the holes in the sensor needed elongating in the anti-clockwise direction when viewed from the outer face of the sensor. 15 minutes with a needle file and…



Trial fitted it but not quite enough rotation. I was trying to leave a little of the brass in the hole but not sure if it was that important. Anyway, a little more filing and…



Perfect!

Don't know if it will last but my neutral light now comes on when I'm in neutral, yay!

I thought about trying to rotate the disc on the end of the shift drum but thought that it was likely I would knock something out of alignment with the gear selectors, especially not having seen the inside on the cases. A fix for now anyway especially as I modified the old, now spare sensor.
I was thinking of cutting the ears off and then making a sting bac with a sep to re-clamp the sensor on this way if the disk does move again a simple turn of the switch is all that is needed
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #27
motomal
Gnarly Adventurer
 
motomal's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Devon, U.K.
Oddometer: 164
I know what you're saying, if the disc on the shift drum keeps moving then I'm going to run out of material to elongate the holes through! Cross that bridge when I come to it I think!
__________________
2007 KTM 950 SM
motomal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #28
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Oddometer: 673
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomal View Post
I know what you're saying, if the disc on the shift drum keeps moving then I'm going to run out of material to elongate the holes through! Cross that bridge when I come to it I think!

Might have to try that I wonder how far off mine is?maybe I'm over thinking this
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #29
gefr
Life is a trip
 
gefr's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: East Med, Greece
Oddometer: 3,720
So is it specifically a 950 problem?

I was wondering if there are any 990s with the same issue.
Anybody?
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #30
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer
 
pebble35's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Jersey, Channel Islands
Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
I was wondering if there are any 990s with the same issue.
Anybody?
Mine was a 990 (2007 model year)
__________________
Proud to be supporting Pyndon
www.lyndonposkittracing.com

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014