ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #136
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
harcus's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Edge of the Wasatch
Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by brich View Post
harcus & all,

I've enjoyed reading all of your threads on the 2012 KTM 500 EXC. I especially enjoyed the ride review of you and your fellow Utard ( I have family in Utard).

A few things I noticed that raised some questions for me: First, I noticed that one of the first things you did was de-smogg, which as we all know is must for KTM's EXC models. I recently read a review of the bike (dirt rider I think) that stated the 2012 KTM EXC is the first EXC model that they tested that didn't need to be de-smogged. In fact, they highly encouraged new onwers not to de-smogg as they said it was made to run and run well right out of the box without de-smogging. They added that they actually had problems with it when they tried de-smogging. What are your thoughts on this?

Second, I saw some scuttlebutt (sorry, former Marine) in this thread about which 500 model to buy, the 500 EXC or the 500 XCW. Certainly, the XCW model is a bit cheaper, but one would need to spend a pretty penny to make it street legal like the EXC. I live in the Seattle area and the law for licensing dirtbikes just changed allowing us to plate them but it is still very strict. Being a former motocrosser, I love the snap and pop of the non EXC models such as the XCW but want the freedom of the plate. I either didn't see much follow up to this topic or I missed it, which is probably more likely. Does anyone have any input with respect to this topic.

Thanks again to harcus and the rest of you for thought in this thread, I love this forum!
1. Desmog - While the bike was made to run with the smog equipment the charcoal canister that catches fuel vapors (when upright) & fuel overflow (when the bike is dropped) is problematic. Like all bike so equipped, the effect is to enrichen the fuel air mix causing more difficult starts after a drop. The removal of this item solves this problem. Note that this DOES require increasing the idle fuel speed (knob on the side of the throttle body).

1a. Secondary air - Removal of the secondary air is not really necessary. No performance improvement is achieved. It does minimize the popping caused by the burning of the fuel in the exhaust pipe that annoys some riders. Even tho I removed the secondary air I do still hear some popping anyway.

2. Plating - I chose the EXC to make it easy to plate. I felt that the extra do dads were worth the $300 so that the bike was registered as legal from day one. Just my choice but it solves some problems. Besides, in my case, the EXC was available sooner.

3. Performance - Lots of confusion & misinformation on whether the XCW has a better MAP than the EXC, etc. One thing for certain...there are many, many options out there to increase horsepower if you so desire. Black boxes to increase the fuel squirt duration, modified throttle bodies, etc. Just remember, physics still applies. More power. less mileage, etc.

The key here is ...
a. This is one of the most versatile bikes to come onto the recent market,,,you can make it do about anything
b. You have to figure out what it is you want it to do - MX, trails, DS, etc.

You really can not go wrong with either the EXC or XCW. Don't over think it. Get one of them ASAP & you will not regret it!

__________________
Want Creative Adventure Products? - See Globetrottin.com

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:00 AM   #137
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Mount Airy, MD
Oddometer: 395
Excellent thread! You guys have me thinking hard about pulling the trigger on a 350 or 500EXC.

Harcus - I'm really impressed with all of the nice bits you have developed for these bikes - particularly the racks. I'd love to have something like that for my old 400EXC.

A few questions...

One of the posts on here mentioned a radiator fan - are these equipped with a fan from the factory?

What is the electrical output?

Are the intake valves titanium or steel?

Cush hub on the factory wheels?

Please tell me about the map settings... Are there multiple settings like on the 690s?


Thanks in advance.

Subscribed!
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:02 AM   #138
Colemanfu
King of all manfu
 
Colemanfu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: DAYTONA USA
Oddometer: 3,286
I can answer 2 of the question.

My EXC came with a fan. This weekend I'll replace the stock rad fluids with Engine Ice http://www.engineice.com/ - a must down here in FL.

The supermoto wheels that came on the bike have a cursh hub but the dirt set does not. Not sure if that's the norm?

And the most current pix..... I put all the EE riser bits in 2 weekends ago and took it for a good ride. Cables are at about the max but it's much more comfortable for this 6 footer.
__________________
Guns keep society safe.
Colemanfu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #139
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrails View Post
A few questions...

One of the posts on here mentioned a radiator fan - are these equipped with a fan from the factory?
Yes, on the right hand radiator.

Quote:
What is the electrical output?
345W IIRC.

Quote:
Are the intake valves titanium or steel?
I don't know, but I'm sure that someone will be along shortly that does.

Quote:
Cush hub on the factory wheels?
Not on the hub. There is a cush drive of sorts in the transmission.

Quote:
Please tell me about the map settings... Are there multiple settings like on the 690s?
Just one and the EXC ECU (in the US) is locked.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #140
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT
 
Mudguts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Some were in , lostralia
Oddometer: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
Yes, on the right hand radiator.


345W IIRC.


I don't know, but I'm sure that someone will be along shortly that does.


Not on the hub. There is a cush drive of sorts in the transmission.


Just one and the EXC ECU (in the US) is locked.






There is a Cush in the clutch .......but it will not stop the
Gearbox from being destroyed if ridden to hard and to long on paved roads. The powertrain goes piston ,crank ,ring gear, clutch ,gearbox , primary sprocket ,chain ,wheel . I would advise a Cush hub as well
Mudguts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #141
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Mount Airy, MD
Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
Yes, on the right hand radiator.


345W IIRC.


I don't know, but I'm sure that someone will be along shortly that does.


Not on the hub. There is a cush drive of sorts in the transmission.


Just one and the EXC ECU (in the US) is locked.


Thanks for the replies.

Wow! 345 Watts is impresive. You can run all sorts of accessories from that. I wonder if the 350EXC has the same output?

Colemanfu - great looking bike! What seat are you running?
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #142
Colemanfu
King of all manfu
 
Colemanfu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: DAYTONA USA
Oddometer: 3,286
comfort seat

Thanks, yea not a fan of the stock seat. I wanted a comfort seat like I had on my LC4.
It's a Seat Concepts piece. http://seatconcepts.com/ Not any softer but a wider shape on the top. It's got great grip as well. It's a kit. Use your stock pan and SC's foam and cover. You can sit high up on the tank when ya need to or on the back when you're more chill. I'm not a stand up all the time kind of rider so that wider pad helps a bunch.
__________________
Guns keep society safe.
Colemanfu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:48 AM   #143
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrails View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Wow! 345 Watts is impresive. You can run all sorts of accessories from that. I wonder if the 350EXC has the same output?

Colemanfu - great looking bike! What seat are you running?
I doubt very much that the 500 has 345 Watts. It's the same stator as the 500 XC-W, the 70 Bergs and the XC quads, so it should be right around 200 (196?) Watts. Don't forget that the FI system has much higher draw than a carbed bike, especially the fuel pump. In the end I would guess that you have just slightly more surplus output than a carbed KTM with a Trailtech system.
__________________
RTW trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #144
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
I doubt very much that the 500 has 345 Watts. It's the same stator as the 500 XC-W, the 70 Bergs and the XC quads, so it should be right around 200 (196?) Watts. Don't forget that the FI system has much higher draw than a carbed bike, especially the fuel pump. In the end I would guess that you have just slightly more surplus output than a carbed KTM with a Trailtech system.
The stator does 345W or somewhere around there. That doesn't mean nor did I intend to imply that you have that much available to power accessories. It's beefed up from previous years specifically because the EFI requires a lot of juice to operate.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:25 AM   #145
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
The stator does 345W or somewhere around there. That doesn't mean nor did I intend to imply that you have that much available to power accessories. It's beefed up from previous years specifically because the EFI requires a lot of juice to operate.
I still think you are wrong since it uses the same part as all the other 200W bikes I mentioned, as is the flywheel so it's not stronger magnets either. And no way does a dirt bike stator of that size make 345 Watts, it's much smaller than those used on street bikes that actually do have that much output.

One of you 500 EXC owners must have a user manual where you can look it up?
__________________
RTW trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #146
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
harcus's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Edge of the Wasatch
Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
I still think you are wrong since it uses the same part as all the other 200W bikes I mentioned, as is the flywheel so it's not stronger magnets either. And no way does a dirt bike stator of that size make 345 Watts, it's much smaller than those used on street bikes that actually do have that much output.

One of you 500 EXC owners must have a user manual where you can look it up?
You take all the fun out of it, Lukas!

If you want to be honest, the OEM OM says "12v, 200W" under Technical Data - Engine

However, I will add that I have heated grips & the big ass LED lights (3600 x 2) & am amazed how well that all work even at trail / off road speeds.

We all know that "200w" is a max number at some unspecified engine rpm since alternator output varies as a linear function of rpm. It's a physics thing!

And, the reason they do not make more power is a size, weight & horsepower drain issue. No free lunch.

__________________
Want Creative Adventure Products? - See Globetrottin.com

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #147
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,330
Sorry for spoiling the fun, I would have loved to have such a strong stator on my EXC or Berg!

But I agree with you on the "no free lunch" thing, and I feel that it's a good compromise as it is. As long as you are smart about choosing your electrical gear it should be plenty. LED/HID light (that you can switch off) vs. a big 100W halogen, EXO2 Fabroc heated gear vs. wire stuff etc.
__________________
RTW trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #148
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Just north of Big D
Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Thanks, yea not a fan of the stock seat. I wanted a comfort seat like I had on my LC4.
It's a Seat Concepts piece. http://seatconcepts.com/ Not any softer but a wider shape on the top. It's got great grip as well. It's a kit. Use your stock pan and SC's foam and cover. You can sit high up on the tank when ya need to or on the back when you're more chill. I'm not a stand up all the time kind of rider so that wider pad helps a bunch.
Thanks for that pic. I just got my SC kit yesterday. Plan on installing it today. Did you use contact cement between pan and foam? I have read several posts from the WRR thread about it holding fine without. Contact cement makes it a pain in the ass to get off if you put them together off a bit. Don't want to tear new foam trying to reposition it.
I hope it helps, although, how could it not...
__________________
13 KTM 350XCF-W -- new hotness
13 KTM 250XCF-W -- hers
Lulu7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #149
dr350maniac
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Washington State
Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
...You really can not go wrong with either the EXC or XCW. Don't over think it. Get one of them ASAP & you will not regret it!
DONE.

Here's mine - bone stock still. Mods (accessories) are due to be installed this week.

I've had it since March and have only ridden it about 20 miles.

I returned it to the dealer earlier in the week to get a recall issue fixed.







NO LINKAGE!!




LED tail light:


dr350maniac screwed with this post 06-09-2012 at 12:24 PM
dr350maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #150
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
I still think you are wrong since it uses the same part as all the other 200W bikes I mentioned, as is the flywheel so it's not stronger magnets either. And no way does a dirt bike stator of that size make 345 Watts, it's much smaller than those used on street bikes that actually do have that much output.

One of you 500 EXC owners must have a user manual where you can look it up?
I stand corrected (200W per the manual)...now to figure out where that 345W figure came from...random numbers don't normally leap into my brain.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014