Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2012, 03:13 AM   #151
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
200 Watts is still pretty good. My 2006 400 EXC only put out 80 Watts. I can't even run a radiator fan without upgrading the stator & regulator.

Does anyone know if the intake valves are titanium or steel?
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #152
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Just searched the other 500 EXC thread... they are Titanium Intake Valves.

For longer-haul riding, I would bet that Kibblewhite Engineering will produce steel valves before too long. ...and hopefully, an oil cooler from H-T Racing.

Very cool bike!
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #153
dr350maniac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I changed the oil in mine last night. I also started the process of installing various mods. First up was the Enduro Engineering Slave Cylinder guard and a 13t front sprocket.
dr350maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #154
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
seat concepts 1" taller version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Thanks, yea not a fan of the stock seat. I wanted a comfort seat like I had on my LC4.
It's a Seat Concepts piece. http://seatconcepts.com/ Not any softer but a wider shape on the top. It's got great grip as well. It's a kit. Use your stock pan and SC's foam and cover. You can sit high up on the tank when ya need to or on the back when you're more chill. I'm not a stand up all the time kind of rider so that wider pad helps a bunch.
I finally got around to installing my foam and cover. What a huge difference. I opted for the tall version to see if it relieved some pressure on my knees. You can see how Colemanfu's looks from above, mine is the same. Gonna try it out this weekend in Arkansas to make sure it is not too tall for off road duty. If it is, I will buy another stock seat and go with their regular kit for trail work, and keep this for scouting dirt roads, and road duty. Here are the side shots.
Before:

After:

Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #155
diesel dude
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
I finally got around to installing my foam and cover. What a huge difference. I opted for the tall version to see if it relieved some pressure on my knees. You can see how Colemanfu's looks from above, mine is the same. Gonna try it out this weekend in Arkansas to make sure it is not too tall for off road duty. If it is, I will buy another stock seat and go with their regular kit for trail work, and keep this for scouting dirt roads, and road duty. Here are the side shots.
Before:

After:

Any idea exactly how much fuel the 13 liter tank holds? Often they say 13 liters but end up being 11.5 or something. Just trying to decide between the 13 liter or the 5.3 gallon Acerbis. Thanks!
diesel dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #156
brich
n00b

Harcus,

Thanks again for the excellent response. What are your thoughts and others on the 500 versus the 350 EXC? I keep hearing that weight (Im 205 without gear) might/should be a factor to consider. I have a motocross background and for whatever reason can't get that out of me. I love snap and pop while stil being able to fling stuff around a bit. The man reason I want something with a plate is because of the decreasing areas to ride without one. I will mostly ride trails, single and double track stuff. I don't plan to DS a ton and if I do it will be day trip stuff, never over nighters. I do not plan to spend a ton of time on the road/highway. So the questions begs, 350 EXC or 500 EXC. Or better yet, withthe amount of time I have to ride (I'm not yet a retired bubba) can I really justify a $10K dirt bike. Mayve I should jsut go with the old school DRZ 400? Thanks again for your thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
1. Desmog - While the bike was made to run with the smog equipment the charcoal canister that catches fuel vapors (when upright) & fuel overflow (when the bike is dropped) is problematic. Like all bike so equipped, the effect is to enrichen the fuel air mix causing more difficult starts after a drop. The removal of this item solves this problem. Note that this DOES require increasing the idle fuel speed (knob on the side of the throttle body).

1a. Secondary air - Removal of the secondary air is not really necessary. No performance improvement is achieved. It does minimize the popping caused by the burning of the fuel in the exhaust pipe that annoys some riders. Even tho I removed the secondary air I do still hear some popping anyway.

2. Plating - I chose the EXC to make it easy to plate. I felt that the extra do dads were worth the $300 so that the bike was registered as legal from day one. Just my choice but it solves some problems. Besides, in my case, the EXC was available sooner.

3. Performance - Lots of confusion & misinformation on whether the XCW has a better MAP than the EXC, etc. One thing for certain...there are many, many options out there to increase horsepower if you so desire. Black boxes to increase the fuel squirt duration, modified throttle bodies, etc. Just remember, physics still applies. More power. less mileage, etc.

The key here is ...
a. This is one of the most versatile bikes to come onto the recent market,,,you can make it do about anything
b. You have to figure out what it is you want it to do - MX, trails, DS, etc.

You really can not go wrong with either the EXC or XCW. Don't over think it. Get one of them ASAP & you will not regret it!

brich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #157
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel dude View Post
Any idea exactly how much fuel the 13 liter tank holds? Often they say 13 liters but end up being 11.5 or something. Just trying to decide between the 13 liter or the 5.3 gallon Acerbis. Thanks!

Sorry double D. Unfortunately I don't have the local riding areas like some to test out range. I have not even put the second fill up in it. And when I installed it, I had some gas in a can to use so I could ride it to the gas station, so not sure of initial fill capacity. I believe ABYSS filled his off the bike first time and it was truly 13l. If I lived out west, based on how toddlers bike looks with the big tank on it, I would do that. you don't have to to fill it up every time you ride if range is not a issue. I was expecting that thing to look HUGE and it looks just like the 13l. At least on the screen. I don't need that kind of range.

hope that helped
Old 06-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #158
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel dude View Post
I have actually ran it down to where I put in 3.2 Utah gallons & was still running but the fuel lite was on. 13 liter = 3.4 gallons converted. I think it is pretty accurate.

My fuel mileage runs from about 55 mpg when riding with crazy people to 66 mpg riding fully loaded by myself (meas 192 mi at fillup).

I just installed a JD Jetting tuner so that may drop a little. Their preset numbers from the dyno are slightly richer in most zones.

Still hard to beat the "grins per mile" factor!

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #159
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by brich View Post
Harcus,

Thanks again for the excellent response. What are your thoughts and others on the 500 versus the 350 EXC? I keep hearing that weight (Im 205 without gear) might/should be a factor to consider. I have a motocross background and for whatever reason can't get that out of me. I love snap and pop while stil being able to fling stuff around a bit. The man reason I want something with a plate is because of the decreasing areas to ride without one. I will mostly ride trails, single and double track stuff. I don't plan to DS a ton and if I do it will be day trip stuff, never over nighters. I do not plan to spend a ton of time on the road/highway. So the questions begs, 350 EXC or 500 EXC. Or better yet, withthe amount of time I have to ride (I'm not yet a retired bubba) can I really justify a $10K dirt bike. Mayve I should jsut go with the old school DRZ 400? Thanks again for your thoughts.
Hard to help you on the "can I afford it" issue but...

a. There is not much price diff between the 350 & 500 so that is probably not a deciding factor

b. We all know "there is no replacement for displacement". Combine that with your slightly larger weight & motocross past seems to indicate going up in power is good

c. All I hear is that the 350 is a higher revving engine than the 500 & it is a smidge lighter. And a lot of fun.

d. From experience, I KNOW the 500 pulls harder than you can imagine! I have not read one report where they said "That thing is a dog!"

It will chug up a hill or blast up a hill. Take your pick. It is a true Crescent Wrench of a bike.

Don't know if that helps but...

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #160
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,157
Quote:

a. There is not much price diff between the 350 & 500 so that is probably not a deciding factor

b. We all know "there is no replacement for displacement". Combine that with your slightly larger weight & motocross past seems to indicate going up in power is good

c. All I hear is that the 350 is a higher revving engine than the 500 & it is a smidge lighter. And a lot of fun.

d. From experience, I KNOW the 500 pulls harder than you can imagine! I have not read one report where they said "That thing is a dog!"

It will chug up a hill or blast up a hill. Take your pick. It is a true Crescent Wrench of a bike.

Well put; there is no replacement for displacement....

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #161
brich
n00b

Thanks harcus, I always appreciate the input. I'm leaning towards 500 but may end up with the cheaper scoot DRZ. Any input on that old dog?
Quote:

brich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:59 PM   #162
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,427
Quote:
There's always one guy.....

"I have had my 500 EXC now for about two weeks and I can say with out a doubt I miss my 530. The 500 seems a little lighter, but it's missing the bottom end torque and top end speed my 530 had. 2nd and 4th gears are worthless. The bikes seems like it is going to come apart running above 60 mph in 5th gear with 14/48's. The bike loses all of it's power about 9000ft. This bike was a disappointment for me."
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1562
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #163
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Well put; there is no replacement for displacement....
Cubic dollars will beat cubic inches every time.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:58 AM   #164
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
There's always one guy.....

"I have had my 500 EXC now for about two weeks and I can say with out a doubt I miss my 530. The 500 seems a little lighter, but it's missing the bottom end torque and top end speed my 530 had. 2nd and 4th gears are worthless. The bikes seems like it is going to come apart running above 60 mph in 5th gear with 14/48's. The bike loses all of it's power about 9000ft. This bike was a disappointment for me."
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1562
You are the first person I've heard say anything like that. I'm very surprised. Your 530 must have been a great bike to make you feel like that. Have you desmogged? Would that help with the lack of power at 9000 ft? Ive had my plated xcw now for like 3 weeks. It has13/50 gearing and I would agree I don't like 60 in 5th but once I shift into 6th its like ooh yeah this is nice and thank you ktm for adding a gear.

I'm coming to this bike from a 2010 wr250x so this thing has amazing and ridiculous power to me. Every time I roll on the throttle I can't stop grinning ear to ear. I love this bike. I raced a 2009 Crf 450r in motocross and this bikes handling and power and quality of suspension feels very similar to me. I wouldn't hesitate to take this bike license plate and all and hit a 90 ft triple or 100 ft table.
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:28 AM   #165
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by brich View Post
Thanks harcus, I always appreciate the input. I'm leaning towards 500 but may end up with the cheaper scoot DRZ. Any input on that old dog?
If you are coming from a modern day motocrosser it's my opinion that you will never be happy with a Drz. It's not going to feel flickable at all and the suspension will surely disappoint. If you rode a 250 mxr then the 350 might be fine to you but if you rode a 450 mxr then get the 500 for sure especially if you plan to be on road more than dirt. You can't find a Japanese made dual sport that even comes close to a modern day mx bike but the ktm exc's will for sure be extremely close. My 500 plated xcw handles very very similar to my 09 Crf 450r. I owned a Yamaha wr250x for a year and like you I couldnt get rid of that desire to have something similar to my mx bike. Both the Wrx and Crf are gone and I couldn't be happier with the 500. The 500 is like 10lbs heavier than my 450 but like 50lbs lighter than my Wrx. The drz weighs like 65 lbs more than the 500 and the suspension will wallow all over the place in anything compared to an mx setting.

If money is an issue get a used drz so you'll at least have something to ride but make sure you get a good deal so you can resale for the same price. In the meantime save and save for the 500 and when you have the cash go get it and never look back.

jtmajors screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 03:34 AM
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote