Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #166
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
Cubic dollars will beat cubic inches every time.
There comes a point though where even money (and all the high-tech it can buy) fails to overcome a real displacement advantage. And if you start with cubic inches before you add cubic dollars, the guy without the inches doesn't stand a chance.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #167
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
if cubic doollars are a issue

Quote:
Cubic dollars will beat cubic inches every time.
isnt this thread just wasted energy? seriously you are talking two different anmials the CC spread. Then add in the cost boundry , it sounds like the decision in your responses is already made. I am not rich , wealthy or even well to do but I always get the best I can afford and am am happy. Sounds like you need to do that same

ABYSS screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 08:29 AM
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #168
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,483
Pssssttt, that's not me or my bike.

I have a 2010 EXC530, I have ridden a 2012 EXC500, it makes my 530 feel like a KLR650.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
You are the first person I've heard say anything like that. I'm very surprised. {snip - to reduce the overquoting}
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #169
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

helotaxi, ABYSS, it's called humor.
Look it up, I swear it exists.
For some people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour
Old 06-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #170
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,188
gas tank sizes?

Has anybody heard anything from any of the Gas-Tank manufacturers about a 4-gallon tank?

The 5.3 gallon tank "L K S" like a smaller tank, but I'm sure the 6.5 lbs per gallon of fuel can be felt on the bike when trying to get into single track. The standard tank's 2.2 gallons is weighin in with about 13lbs of fuel. Going to the 5.3 gallon would add an additional 19.5lbs of weight, which is not light by any standard when trying to flick the bike around....

I'm hoping that a 4-gallon tank comes out soon; I've rather have the 7lbs of additional weight than 19.5lbs....

edit: corrected the weight of fuel

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.

SteveO screwed with this post 06-26-2012 at 07:00 AM Reason: correcting the numbers
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #171
ABYSS
KTM

Eh? Humor ????

Quote:
helotaxi, ABYSS, it's called humor.
Look it up, I swear it exists.
For some people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour
care to clue me in, on the "Humor"?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #172
ABYSS
KTM

man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Has anybody heard anything from any of the Gas-Tank manufacturers about a 4-gallon tank?

The 5.3 gallon tank "L K S" like a smaller tank, but I'm sure the 8 lbs per gallon of fuel can be felt on the bike when trying to get into single track. The standard tank's 2.2 gallons is weighin in with about 16lbs of fuel. Going to the 5.3 gallon would add an additional 24lbs of weight, which is not light by any standard when trying to flick the bike around....

I'm hoping that a 4-gallon tank comes out soon; I've rather have the 16lbs of additional weight than 24lbs....
I called Clark, Safari, Acerbis when I first got mine, None of them were remotely interest. Acerbis was the only one that started to have the "light bulb of Reason" turned on when i laughed at them on the phone when they told me they had a 3 gal option they were were about tointroduce alone with the 5.3 . I told them to think about it as that isnt worth getting a new tank over the original. but they were too far along and not wiling to change or add to the course. The KTM 13L does get me about 175 mile to the tank and I am good with that.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #173
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
I called Clark, Safari, Acerbis when I first got mine, None of them were remotely interest. Acerbis was the only one that started to have the "light bulb of Reason" turned on when i laughed at them on the phone when they told me they had a 3 gal option they were were about tointroduce alone with the 5.3 . I told them to think about it as that isnt worth getting a new tank over the original. but they were too far along and not wiling to change or add to the course. The KTM 13L does get me about 175 mile to the tank and I am good with that.
Well, it looks like the 13L will be the way for me.

I've called around for the 13L and it seems they are on back order until August.....

Have you heard different?

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #174
ABYSS
KTM

they are

Quote:
Well, it looks like the 13L will be the way for me.

I've called around for the 13L and it seems they are on back order until August.....

Have you heard different?
very popular, I ended getting mine from Az and I am in Texas. Id bet if you keep calling youl run across one
Old 06-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #175
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
care to clue me in, on the "Humor"?
It's obvious you don't have a sense of humor.

Let me help you.

Someone say's "there's no replacement for displacement", I say "cubic dollars will beat cubic inches every time".

Not stating fact, not quoting scripture, it's called humor.

While there is no correct response to the banter, someone with a sense of humor would have tossed in a or a or even a .
Old 06-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #176
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 301
Quote:

Let me help you.

Someone say's "there's no replacement for displacement", I say "cubic dollars will beat cubic inches every time".

While there is no correct response to the banter, someone with a sense of humor would have tossed in a or a or even a .
I'm with Abyss but for me it just makes absolutely no sense what you are saying.
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #177
ABYSS
KTM

I think

Quote:

Let me help you.

Mudd for brains was trying to be funny but what the knit whit fails to realize is that bikes are cubic centimeters not inches so he made a half assed attempt to use a automotive analogy "That already exhist's" on motorcycles. Judging from his statemnt he doesn't even know what he said. No that is funny

Then to top it off he completly misunderstood my statement Ill try wording it differently to see this will help " it takes more cash to get more CC's and if you dont have the cash for more you get what you can afford and if that was the case this topic within this thread it was a waste of time "
Old 06-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #178
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:

The 5.3 gallon tank "L K S" like a smaller tank, but I'm sure the 8 lbs per gallon of fuel can be felt on the bike when trying to get into single track. The standard tank's 2.2 gallons is weighin in with about 16lbs of fuel. Going to the 5.3 gallon would add an additional 24lbs of weight, which is not light by any standard when trying to flick the bike around....

I'm hoping that a 4-gallon tank comes out soon; I've rather have the 16lbs of additional weight than 24lbs....

Not to quibble but...

a. The fuel is 6.5 lbs / gal, water is 8

b. The issue is not only weight of fuel but weight of fuel up front. Good on a road bike, not so desirable on a dirt bike. So that brings us to this option...

Running the 13 liter up front adds about 7.5 ish lbs which is about as much as I felt proper. Adding the RotoPax in the back adds about 9.5 lbs with the can, plate n mount but it back where it impacts handling less...over the rear wheel. Plus, you only add it when you really need it. If you are really want more range, add another to the other side.

13 L = 3.4 gallons = about 200 miles depending on riding aggressiveness, etc. (58 mpg)

3.4 + 2 gal (if you are greedy) = 300+ miles

Just an option...

(Notice I used 3 smiley faces? I like humor!)

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #179
ABYSS
KTM

Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
Not to quibble but...

b. The issue is not only weight of fuel but weight of fuel up front. Good on a road bike, not so desirable on a dirt bike. So that brings us to this option...

Running the 13 liter up front adds about 7.5 ish lbs which is about as much as I felt proper. Adding the RotoPax in the back adds about 9.5 lbs with the can, plate n mount but it back where it impacts handling less...over the rear wheel. Plus, you only add it when you really need it. If you are really want more range, add another to the other side.

13 L = 3.4 gallons = about 200 miles depending on riding aggressiveness, etc. (58 mpg)

Just an option...

Someone is getting 58 mpg.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #180
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
Not to quibble but...

Just an option...

ahhhh, very cool, thanks for the clarification.
now if I can find a 13L KTM tank. I've been told they are all on back order till August, which really means September before I can get one mounted on the bike.....