Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 04:02 AM   #196
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
What is the verdict on the 5.3g tank?

Does anyone have any experience putting one on the 500 XCW?
Wish i had done it sooner. I can still singletrack the 500 and no worries about fuel. It handles great!

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #197
bmeador
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
It's spelled nit-wit.
You can't even spell beyond a third grade level.

You do know that you can convert centimeters to cubic inches, right?

If you start with 510 CC's (or 31 cubic inches) (since we are talking about the 500 EXC) then even if you bored out the 510 to the maximum (no replacement for displacement) one could still spend more money to build an engine that would hands down beat a bored out 500 EXC (since one of the first things someone would do to gain HP is to bore it out).

There are still motorcycle manufacturers that use cubic inches vice centimeters to measure engine displacement.

Finally, both of the quotes "no replacement for displacement" and "cubic dollars will beat cubic inches every time" come from the automotive world (but they are not exclusive to the automotive world), I heard Don Gartlits and Mario Andretti say the same thing at Ontario Motor Speedway on afternoon when I was in the pits for autograph signing back in the mid 70's.

As far as your reading and comprehension skills, they are lacking.

I was not the one who originally use the "automotive terminology", that was this guy:

"Originally Posted by SteveO
Well put; there is no replacement for displacement...."

I answered his "automotive terminology" humorous post with the correct "automotive terminology" humorous response.

Nothing more, nothing less.

It's YOU nit-wits that can't deal with it.

Done.
You do realize that all KTM 520,525,530,500 bikes are the same engine size right?? All of those bikes are 510.4cc just have different names! Marketing 101, change them name so you buy a new model.
bmeador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #198
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
You do realize that they were talking about the difference between the 5xx and a smaller motor, right?
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #199
bmeador
Adventurer

No. Guns_equal_freedom was saying he was disapointed with his 500 compared to his "530" which in reality is the same 510.4cc as the rest of the bigger bore KTM singles. The 500 has plenty of torque once you put a pipe and fix the lean fuel injection. I had 300 hrs + on a 530 and 135 hrs on a 500 so far and both are great bikes. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I can say that the durability on the 500 is WAAAAAYYY better than the 530. I put 2 pistions in my 530 by 135 hrs and im still on the stock piston in my 500.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #200
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeador View Post
No. Guns_equal_freedom was saying he was disapointed with his 500 compared to his "530" which in reality is the same 510.4cc as the rest of the bigger bore KTM singles. The 500 has plenty of torque once you put a pipe and fix the lean fuel injection. I had 300 hrs + on a 530 and 135 hrs on a 500 so far and both are great bikes. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I can say that the durability on the 500 is WAAAAAYYY better than the 530. I put 2 pistions in my 530 by 135 hrs and im still on the stock piston in my 500.
WTF, your post is coming out of left field.

Where did I say I was disappointed with my 500?

I don't even own a 500.

My bikes are listed in my signature line.

All I did was put a link up to a guy who owns a 500 and is not happy with the power and then I put the comment "there's always one".

Then someone posted up "no replacement for displacement" to which I replied "cubic dollars beats cubic inches every time".

That unleashed a shitstorm of butthurt for some posters with no sense of humor, some posters who are not old school gearheads and some posters who don't get that the first thing ANYONE does who is serious to get more HP is to increase displacement.

Example:

You increase displacement to the maximum.

I also increase displacement to the maximum.

In addition, I am now spending money on blueprinting my engine, titanium valves, performance cams, ported and flowed head, larger carburetor, lighter wheels, different gearing, and more money and more money and more money.

So, while I don't own a 500 I have a friend who owns both a 2012 EXC 500 and a 2013 XCW 500, I have ridden both and they both are better bikes than my 530 is.

I am trying to sell my 530, it's up for sale in the flea market and on KTM talk so I can buy a 2013 XCW 500.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #201
bmeador
Adventurer

Ok, sorry. I MISUNDERSTOOD.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #202
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
You don't need to

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeador View Post
Ok, sorry. I MISUNDERSTOOD.

Apologieze man some just run there mouths and clutter a good thread.
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #203
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,496
Well, I just ordered a 2013 XCW. I opted to dual-sport the race bike rather than soup-up the dual sport. I'll keep you all posted on the progress.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #204
bmeador
Adventurer

Quote:
Well, I just ordered a 2013 XCW. I opted to dual-sport the race bike rather than soup-up the dual sport. I'll keep you all posted on the progress.
You will Love it!! I did the same thing. Its a great bike!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #205
Rider11x
Resident Hillbilly

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Is that a factory option,or something you do yourself?
Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #206
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider11x View Post
Is that a factory option,or something you do yourself?
It will be a do-it-yourself project. I live and ride in states where one can plate almost any bike if a few simple requirement are met: DOT tires, turn signals, horn, and a running light.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

Old 07-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #207
Rider11x
Resident Hillbilly

Oddometer: 142
So I assume that makes for a much faster bike avoiding the lean mapping on to be factory dot compliant, correct? F that's the case, it would be well worth it.

Are the stators the same size?
Old 07-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #208
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Harcus - just a note, the 13 liter KTM hardparts tank with wings that I tried (on the 525) will still allow the radiators to be shoved backwards a couple inches by branches and such, however it does protect them from being crushed quite well from crashes.

Ridetosea - Thats the beauty of this website, no matter what your pervesion (land yacht BMW GS's to trials bikes), there's people on here suffering the same disease. A great place for insight and opinions for biking across the board. Best of luck wiht your 500 search.
The trick with trying to keep a soft aluminum radiator from being shoved backwards is that the force just smashes it if it cant move back some,Ive had a radiator knocked right out of its rubber mounts and dangling off the bike. I took the mounting bolts out and stuck the rubber grommets back in the radiator,bolted it back on and was on my way. Radiator braces that try to imobilize the radiator dont really help in an extreme smacking impact. The big brace in this thread that goes under the radiator and attaches to the frame doesnt allow for trail riding issues,branches,etc that stick in anywhere they please. Side impacts do require a good wrap around framework of some sort for the rads.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #209
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
I did the same thing too. Sicass sells the stuff to make it real easy. They have the stuff to barely make it legal or go all out with blinkers. Also if you let the dealer do it you'll pay street bike sales tax which is 6.25 in Texas instead of 8.25 in Lubbock. That can save you like $180. I still have the stock tires which are not dot but inspection place didn't care. Tires are sketchy though on the street and 13/50 gearing is a little low for the street but perfect offroad.
Dealer only charged me for the parts from sicass and install was free. All you really need is high beam/low beam switch, rear brake light, horn and 1 mirror.

No issues with my xcw. I love it!
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #210
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider11x View Post
So I assume that makes for a much faster bike avoiding the lean mapping on to be factory dot compliant, correct? F that's the case, it would be well worth it.

Are the stators the same size?
Yeah, if I had ordered the EXC, I would still need to remove the emissions stuff and probably remap, then I would remove the light, the battery, the taillight, and the turn signals from the EXC and replace them with Baja-proven gear. Basically, for my needs, the EXC would just fill up a cardboard box with new shiny lactic that I will never use.

Regarding the stator- my dealer says its the same size/output, but the KTM website doesn't show the specs.

Anyone with an XCW that can chime in on specs of the battery, stator, triple clamp, exact whelp dimensions, etc?
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah