Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #271
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
I don't know about this thread. I have a 2012 350 EXC-F. After owning a lot of dual sport bikes (KLX, DR350, DRZ400, XR's, TT's, RXC's, TE's, KDX's, etc.) I do not think that these new KTM's make good "dual sport" bikes, in the truest essence of the term. To me, they are just too "hard edged". They make great barely street legal, dirt bikes, but the softer edged others seem to make better do-it-all mounts. With any of them, gearing, and comfort are the real issues. Once you gear a new KTM down far enough to be great in the dirt, they become nearly useless on the pavement. If you leave them geared tall (14/45 stock, on my 350), they are so uncomfortable on the pavement that they just don't make sense.
To me, a DR350 was a better do-it-all bike. That said, I love my EXC. I bought it because I just wanted a high performance dirt bike that could get from trail to trail, legally. With its current 13/48 gearing, cruising pavement at 45-50 MPH is only OK, and carrying a passenger for any distance is pretty much out of the question. Get it in the dirt, though, and there are few bikes that can out perform it.
I guess that it all depends on how you want to define the term "Dual-Sport".
Just play'n the percentages here. I've had many dirt bikes that were just full blown dirt bikes that I put a license plate on. That's all KTM did. This is a true 90/10% bike.

I've pushed mine a little more to the comfort/adventure side. The 14/48 gearing is a little too tall for tight trails, it is great on the road and runs very easy at 65 mph. To make it work on very tight trails I went to a Rekluse cheater cluch. To make it smoother on the pavement I added a cush drive hub. I also lowered it 1" to compensate for the 2" taller seat. None of that lowered the off road capiblility.

You just need a 990 Adventure to get the percentages over the other way.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #272
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
To make it smoother on the pavement I added a cush drive hub. I also lowered it 1" to compensate for the 2" taller seat.
Details on the Cush drive hub? Where to purchase, how expensive, DIY installation?

Did you lower the machine by taking an inch out of the rear shock and then slid the forks up an inch?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #273
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Everyone has their own definition of "dual sport". I am pretty sure the 500EXC will fit mine. I am just about done getting it set up.

Spent several hours yesterday setting up and wiring in the Highway Dirt Bikes goodies.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #274
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Jason your ride looks awesome and some lovely terrain, nice report.

Once home safe and sound were you ever able to get the Kriega Overlander bags to mount securely on the 500? In the past I have used Giantloop Coyote's and Dirt Bagz saddlebags on my KTM 525. On the 500 I was going to try the Overlander 30 bags from Kriega but not quite sold on them yet. Did the over the seat buckle ever get in your way? I've been wrestling about with where I want them mounted and even at the rearmost setting of the bags I would still sit on the buckle when droning pavement. The left side of the bike you can wrap the strap snugly around where the subframe bottoms out on the airbox however on the rightside the strap will be perilously close to the exhaust and I worry about the exhaust melting the strap if the bag loosens just a bit.

How did you finally mount the Kriega bags?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #275
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
I don't know about this thread. I have a 2012 350 EXC-F. After owning a lot of dual sport bikes (KLX, DR350, DRZ400, XR's, TT's, RXC's, TE's, KDX's, etc.) I do not think that these new KTM's make good "dual sport" bikes, in the truest essence of the term. To me, they are just too "hard edged". ... With any of them, gearing, and comfort are the real issues. Once you gear a new KTM down far enough to be great in the dirt, they become nearly useless on the pavement.
It really depends on how much emphasis you place on performance. I ride a KTM 640 and have a hard time seeing a down side to picking up a 500 EXC to replace it. An EXC is smoother, has as much power, has a wider gear range, and will carry any load I ever need. All it needs is a better seat and a steering damper to calm things at highway speeds.

The EXC has a wider gear range than any soft dual sport over 250 cc plus it has power, a great suspension, is light weight, and lots of steering lock. What's not to like? So it requires more frequent maintenance and ultimately won't go as far without a rebuild and won't take a heavy load. I can live with those compromises easier than a heavy bike and lack of steering lock when I get to the trail.

They're not for everyone and no replacement for a GS or KLR but the degree of compromise required for top off road performance is getting less and less as these bikes evolve.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #276
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
were you ever able to get the Kriega Overlander bags to mount securely on the 500? … Did the over the seat buckle ever get in your way? ... How did you finally mount the Kriega bags?
I think the Overlanders could be fine mounted as you suggest: pulled low enough that the bottom strap attaches to the frame next to the sub-frame mount. On the exhaust side it will be close to the header, yes. I'll be testing that for you soon. I have a bit of heat shield tape that I plan to wrap around the strap at that point — see if it stays or does any good.

Because I will also have some things in a tail bag, I ended up getting the Globetrottin mini rack and lighter battery to offset the weight. I didn't want a rack but it seemed the lesser of evils. I considered the PMB but this is stronger and the install is a lot simpler.

I will still use the Kriega fender loops for the Overlander but now those loops don't have to be shared by the tail bags. And if the Overlanders still wiggle too much, I can wrap an extra strap around the lower rack. I'll let you know how it goes.

P.S. Here's a little dirt ride with the rack installed but no luggage other than a Kriega 10 on the side. The setup is probably only visible a couple times in the video: http://youtu.be/JOj-VBOo_aA
Old 05-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #277
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Abbott View Post
I'm pretty happy with my dual sport setup, though, as others noted, kind of depends on the definition. Here's my first little DS ride on the 500: http://trailimage.com/camping-by-willow-creek (video at the bottom). I've made tweaks since then and definitely plan to do longer rides.
That TrailImage.com site looks really well thought out. Looks like a great way to share trip photos and other information about the ride. I am assuming it is available to the public?

Gorgeous country that I would like to ride and see.
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #278
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post

Did you lower the machine by taking an inch out of the rear shock and then slid the forks up an inch?
Yes, please, I also would like to know about it
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #279
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
That TrailImage.com site looks really well thought out. Looks like a great way to share trip photos and other information about the ride. I am assuming it is available to the public?
<geek>
The site is a front-end to my Flickr photos. The images, captions, categories, etc., are just exactly what Flickr has. I wrote it with node.js hosted for free at AppFog. I use Friedl's Flickr Exporter for Lightroom so after I load the pictures and write the captions it's just a button click to update the site. The code I wrote is open source, hosted at Google Code.
</geek>
Old 05-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #280
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 997
Cush Drives

I just had Woody's Wheel Works quote a price for a complete rear wheel
with cush drive hub, for my '13 xcw

Specs : Rad billet cush drive hub.
Excel 2.25 rim. not the A60 rim
Woodies Superlace.

$$$ 1080.

I'm mainly using the 500 for single track and short street rides to
the trail heads and I really want to keep the unsprung weight down
so I passed on the cush wheel.

Max
Old 05-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #281
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Just play'n the percentages here. I've had many dirt bikes that were just full blown dirt bikes that I put a license plate on. That's all KTM did. This is a true 90/10% bike.

I've pushed mine a little more to the comfort/adventure side. The 14/48 gearing is a little too tall for tight trails, it is great on the road and runs very easy at 65 mph. To make it work on very tight trails I went to a Rekluse cheater cluch. To make it smoother on the pavement I added a cush drive hub. I also lowered it 1" to compensate for the 2" taller seat. None of that lowered the off road capiblility.

You just need a 990 Adventure to get the percentages over the other way.
I find that 14 / 52 is a good compromise for the Utah terrain...IMHO

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #282
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just put a deposit on my dealers last 500 EXC. I want to install heated grips (Symtec). Where's the best place to pick up 12V positive (switched)? And where is a good place to mount the low/off/high switch?
Nowhere...you have to create it. I ran a separate line from the battery (protected by a circuit breaker) forward to the headlight area. Connected that to a relay(in the headlight area) triggered withe the ignition key. That is used to power heated grips & GPS power. The grips need all the volts they can get. The grip switch is located near the LH grip for easy access while still holding the grip.

It works!

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
Old 05-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #283
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just put a deposit on my dealers last 500 EXC. I want to install heated grips (Symtec). Where's the best place to pick up 12V positive (switched)? And where is a good place to mount the low/off/high switch?
Nowhere...you have to create it. I feel that using existing wires like the headlight power does not provide enuf voltage. I ran a separate line from the battery (protected by a circuit breaker) forward to the headlight area. Connected that to a relay(in the headlight area) triggered withe the ignition key. That is used to power heated grips & GPS power. The grips need all the volts they can get. The grip switch is located near the LH grip for easy access while still holding the grip.

It works!

Old 05-13-2013, 12:38 AM   #284
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
Nowhere...you have to create it. I feel that using existing wires like the headlight power does not provide enuf voltage. I ran a separate line from the battery (protected by a circuit breaker) forward to the headlight area. Connected that to a relay(in the headlight area) triggered withe the ignition key. That is used to power heated grips & GPS power. The grips need all the volts they can get. The grip switch is located near the LH grip for easy access while still holding the grip.

It works!
Pictures would be, of course, utterly awesome, sir.

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:54 AM   #285
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 892
Pix

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ticket2 View Post
Pictures would be, of course, utterly awesome, sir.
ET, I second that. Got any pix, or a wiring diagram, Jim?

BTW, I find 15/52 great in Utah and around here locally.

Maxvert, I bought the Woody's Wheel Works cush hub and think it is worth the money for longer trips. I've seen high mileage 500 class machines with the splines on the output shaft rounded off needing replacement. Case splitting time. If you do a lot of miles that has some road involved this can save you headaches down the road.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote