Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #331
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I parked the bike on a gravel shoulder of a paved road while waiting for the rest of my group to catch up. I bumped the bike and it fell over onto the same side as the stand. The kickstand folded up under the bike. It sort of ripped it right at the bolt. I took it off and carried in my luggage for the rest of the trip. I just got home last night and have not even unpacked the van yet. I will takes some pics.
That would be great ... thanks! - ET

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #332
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ticket2 View Post
l ... it *does* have a cush hub in the DDS clutch.
While that is not as fool-proof/rugged as a true rear-wheel, cush hub ...
The more I think about the design on the cush clutch, the more sense it makes to me. It's taking the hammering out of the entire drive train. Im also not trying to pick a side but Im just curious, on what basis is the clutch cush "not as fool-proof/rugged" as a wheel cush. I honestly was thinking the complete opposite!!
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #333
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty in all View Post
The more I think about the design on the cush clutch, the more sense it makes to me. It's taking the hammering out of the entire drive train. Im also not trying to pick a side but Im just curious, on what basis is the clutch cush "not as fool-proof/rugged" as a wheel cush. I honestly was thinking the complete opposite!!
A true cush hub in the rear wheel softens the road shock from everything forward .... the sprockets, the chain, the transmission, etc ....

Old 06-25-2013, 02:03 AM   #334
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,488
Just fitted one on my WR450F for dual sporting or light adventuring

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=330

Quote:
A true cush hub in the rear wheel softens the road shock from everything forward .... the sprockets, the chain, the transmission, etc ....
BygDaddee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:44 AM   #335
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Oh I thought it was the crankshaft that was hard on the system and the traction on pavement didnt have any give.
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #336
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
No rust was found on the splines. I just cleaned the grease off for the picture.
Not looking for rust per say but the red taint that indicates a fretting process. So you saw no evidence of fretting just to confirm? If so that's great news.

You say the old countershaft sprocket was looser than the new sprocket, this would indicate a gap that could facilitate the fretting process. Is the assumption Moly grease is supposed to eliminate the fretting process even though a gap is evident between the sprocket and countershaft? This gap will increase as the sprocket wears....is the assumption being made that the moly grease can eliminate the fretting process even though as the sprocket wears and the gap between sprocket and spline will increase creating a prime environment for fretting to occur?

In other words is the hope that Moly paste will be able to keep the fretting at bay once the sprocket has worn on the shaft?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #337
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Not looking for rust per say but the red taint that indicates a fretting process. So you saw no evidence of fretting just to confirm? If so that's great news.

You say the old countershaft sprocket was looser than the new sprocket, this would indicate a gap that could facilitate the fretting process. Is the assumption Moly grease is supposed to eliminate the fretting process even though a gap is evident between the sprocket and countershaft? This gap will increase as the sprocket wears....is the assumption being made that the moly grease can eliminate the fretting process even though as the sprocket wears and the gap between sprocket and spline will increase creating a prime environment for fretting to occur?

In other words is the hope that Moly paste will be able to keep the fretting at bay once the sprocket has worn on the shaft?
The grease will stop the fretting because it prevents metal to metal contact. Since the sprocket and the countershaft don't slide against each other there should not be any wear. If the spline is already partially worn then the sprocket can rock back and forth producing a hammering action on the spline and that would cause an increase in clearance by deformation of the spline teeth.
I think part of the problem is that the countershaft diameter is too small for the power being transmitted. A larger spline would distribute the load better but would add weight to the bike. It could also be that the spline lasts long enough that it doesn't fail before the engine needs a rebuild. The countershaft costs $60.00 and the part been used since 2008. 78033010000

With land closures and restrictions a dual sport setup is becoming a necessity to be able ride on pavement to get to the dirt trails. I think bike manufacturers are realizing this and are changing the bikes to meet the new restrictions. I think that the 500 EXC reflects this thinking.

Bengt Phorks screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 11:41 PM
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #338
HeadinSouth
vroom!

Oddometer: 97
Just picked up a 2013 500 last night and have a silly question.
What is this?
HeadinSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #339
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
It's a washing kit. Apparently it's for covering the fuel line at the quick disconnect when you take off the tank.

I wondered the same thing, got mine 5 weeks ago.

Still sorting it out dammit.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #340
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Nice bikes.....

These are smooth looking bikes and worth looking into a little further for me. Truth is though, the more I look, the more confused I get. I'm not sure what I'm even planning on doing yet! Nice photos though.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #341
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadinSouth View Post
Just picked up a 2013 500 last night and have a silly question.
What is this?
That's the "Wash Cap Set" for covering, and plugging, your quick-disconnect coupler (QDC) when you have your fuel line apart.
It looks like they also included a spare o-ring for the QDC ... which is a nice touch.

Cheers! E-Ticket

Old 06-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #342
HeadinSouth
vroom!

Oddometer: 97
Thanks!
Only did a short ride from the dealer but there is a monster deep inside this thing. Love it so far.
HeadinSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #343
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadinSouth View Post
Thanks!
Only did a short ride from the dealer but there is a monster deep inside this thing. Love it so far.
Change the sprockets to 14-50.
Have the dealer flash the ECU with the Euo map.
Get the JD fuel programer and the map switch.
Remove the smog.
Hang on!

Or...

http://bestdualsportbikes.com/2012-13-ktm-350-exc-1/
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #344
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
That's the "Wash Cap Set" for covering, and plugging, your quick-disconnect coupler (QDC) when you have your fuel line apart.
It looks like they also included a spare o-ring for the QDC ... which is a nice touch.

Cheers! E-Ticket
The Oring is for the male side plug. I carry one in my pack in case I have to work on the bike trailside.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #345
mknj671
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
These are smooth looking bikes and worth looking into a little further for me. Truth is though, the more I look, the more confused I get. I'm not sure what I'm even planning on doing yet! Nice photos though.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
If you are interested in a "real" dirtbike with a plate do not test ride one, if you do plan on parting with close to 10K because you will buy it!