Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #346
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
At 3 hours the bike started stalling, at 8 hours I was able to duplicate it by turning the bars slightly to the left, causing fuel pump to cut out.Took off headlight and wiring block to find the absolute worst wiring harness/connectors of any bike I've owned. Ever. Ten+ thousand dollar dirtbike and they use ten cent connectors from radio shack, then tie them all up at tight as possible so they can abrade and short out. Seriously, what were they thinking? My fifth ktm and second brand new one and build quality may actually be going down. Works nice now that it doesn't stall at least. Now I'll go fix the leaking countershaft.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #347
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Phorks View Post
The grease will stop the fretting because it prevents metal to metal contact. Since the sprocket and the countershaft don't slide against each other there should not be any wear. If the spline is already partially worn then the sprocket can rock back and forth producing a hammering action on the spline and that would cause an increase in clearance by deformation of the spline teeth.
I think part of the problem is that the countershaft diameter is too small for the power being transmitted. A larger spline would distribute the load better but would add weight to the bike. It could also be that the spline lasts long enough that it doesn't fail before the engine needs a rebuild. The countershaft costs $60.00 and the part been used since 2008. 78033010000

With land closures and restrictions a dual sport setup is becoming a necessity to be able ride on pavement to get to the dirt trails. I think bike manufacturers are realizing this and are changing the bikes to meet the new restrictions. I think that the 500 EXC reflects this thinking.
Didn't have any "moly" grease on hand so I used the next best thing--Anti-seize. Only have 22hrs on my xc-w but thought I should start now.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #348
Jason Abbott
Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer: 659
In action

KTM 500 versus GS 1200 as a light-weight dual sport: http://www.trailimage.com/indomitable-boulder-basin

I rode this last year on my own GS 1200. The KTM was so much better. Obviously.

I've added stronger springs front and back, Globetrottin mini rack, Lynx fairing and a bunch of little bits. It goes good.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #349
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
17" Warp9 sumo set up FS

just added to flea market, since a bought the lil CBR for track days I haven't bothered to put the 17's on the 500.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...6#post22057096
Lulu7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #350
Csorin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hey guys,

I'm trying to install the 13L KTM tank but am running into a clearance issue with the charcoal canister of my stock 500 EXC. The tank doesn't seem to have a large enough cutout cavity for said canister. This is disappointing as the tank is supposed to fit while retaining the anti-smog stuff. Did anyone get their orange tank to work correctly with the charcoal canister in place?
Csorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #351
vintageveloce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
13 liter won't fit with the cannister in place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4
vintageveloce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #352
Csorin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Bah, I would have gotten the clockwork tank that specifically said 'won't fit with anti-smog system'. Since the KTM hard parts tank did not mention this, I was hoping I'd be able to retain the system.

Csorin screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 12:39 AM
Csorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #353
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 909
Canister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csorin View Post
Bah, I would have gotten the clockwork tank that specifically said 'won't fit with anti-smog system'. Since the KTM hard parts tank did not mention this, I was hoping I'd be able to retain the system.
You can just move the canister to another location if you have to have it on your bike for inspection purposes. I found it easier to just remove it and put my 13L tank on.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #354
turn_one
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
690 to 500?

Contemplating a switch from my setup 690 to a XC-W, wanted thoughts and opinions from those that dual sport these bikes.

I started with a 990. Once, on a DS ride I came to a single track trailhead up in the WA mountains and I thought, man, it be cool to continue on...but with the big 990 and knowing the reputation of some of that terrain it would've been bad. I was then looking for a bike to do it all, in comes the 690 and it's been a viable tool for most all but moderate techy single track stuff thus far.

The other day I found myself in the very same situation; 40 miles from town on the 690, solo and stumbled upon a single track that looked very tempting...so I took it...and didn't do so well.

The roads getting there were all FS dirt, about a mile of hard pack from my house but returning there was about 45-60 mins of road. This is the type of riding I find myself doing most of the time.

I know the obvious downfalls of the 690 on single track and the 500's street-ability, just looking for some input from those who own one.

Thanks
turn_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #355
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Depends on your real requirements - if a true plated dirt bike is the top of your list, this thing is a winner. Mine has a seat like a torture device and my elbows actually start to hurt after a long day - power pulses are that strong and I am getting that old. I would not change a thing and as long as I can hang on, it is the right bike for me.
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #356
jonb
Montana Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Love my XC-W

You need to figure out if you really are going to ride asphalt that much.
Anything dirt and the KTM 500 is the bike.
If you are 20/80% asphalt/dirt you will be fine with the 500.
Your emphasis cant really be hiway, period. Ideally its for hooking up the dirt roads and trails via short stretches of highway. Thats the 500's MO.
Just my opinion.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #357
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn_one View Post
Contemplating a switch from my setup 690 to a XC-W, wanted thoughts and opinions from those that dual sport these bikes.

I started with a 990. Once, on a DS ride I came to a single track trailhead up in the WA mountains and I thought, man, it be cool to continue on...but with the big 990 and knowing the reputation of some of that terrain it would've been bad. I was then looking for a bike to do it all, in comes the 690 and it's been a viable tool for most all but moderate techy single track stuff thus far.

The other day I found myself in the very same situation; 40 miles from town on the 690, solo and stumbled upon a single track that looked very tempting...so I took it...and didn't do so well.

The roads getting there were all FS dirt, about a mile of hard pack from my house but returning there was about 45-60 mins of road. This is the type of riding I find myself doing most of the time.

I know the obvious downfalls of the 690 on single track and the 500's street-ability, just looking for some input from those who own one.

Thanks

I've found what tires I have on to be more important than whether I'm riding the 690 or 500. With that much pavement I'd stick with the 690.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #358
turn_one
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
I've found what tires I have on to be more important than whether I'm riding the 690 or 500. With that much pavement I'd stick with the 690.
Sound advice coming from a lucky man that apparently has both.

Two things I should note: I don't like riding pavement that much, it just seems to happen when trying to loop out a ride. Also, I have a plated 350 XCF-W as well which could fill those gaps decently enough.
turn_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #359
sevenfourate
UK Mud-Plugger......

Oddometer: 17
Im fitting a bigger rear sprocket (47 tooth vs 45 tooth) on my 2013 500 EXC tomorrow night.

Previous owner shortened [And bodged up the chain @ 114 links] - So when i first got the bike i bought a brand new one at this length; not knowing they are normally longer. Its now going to be 'tight' whether a 47 tooth rear fits or not......

I dont really want to have to buy ANOTHER chain, and i've read posts about people "....unbolting, and turning the rear chain-guide around".

Ive just had a quick look - i presume this is the clearish coloured inner part of the original rear lower chain-guide and not the black plastic outer- (which i guess stays 'as-is) " ????
Old 08-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #360
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfourate View Post
Im fitting a bigger rear sprocket (47 tooth vs 45 tooth) on my 2013 500 EXC tomorrow night.

Previous owner shortened [And bodged up the chain @ 114 links] - So when i first got the bike i bought a brand new one at this length; not knowing they are normally longer. Its now going to be 'tight' whether a 47 tooth rear fits or not......

I dont really want to have to buy ANOTHER chain, and i've read posts about people "....unbolting, and turning the rear chain-guide around".

Ive just had a quick look - i presume this is the clearish coloured inner part of the original rear lower chain-guide and not the black plastic outer- (which i guess stays 'as-is) " ????

14/48 is just possible with stock chain. If it's shorter than stock it's not going to fit.

...and handling improved noticeably when I ditched the stock chain and moved the rear wheel back with a longer chain.