Old 03-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #92
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
Who makes that faring?
Co-developed by Harcus and I.

Coming to a webstore near you later this month. Extremely attractive pricing and function

Plug n play for many different bikes, vendor thread here
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #93
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
What are the odds of getting just the fiberglass faring only with no holes drilled in it I am doing my own headlight mod and it would save me some time if I could just modify a blank of yours.
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #94
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
What are the odds of getting just the fiberglass faring only with no holes drilled in it I am doing my own headlight mod and it would save me some time if I could just modify a blank of yours.
May be available in a few months but not anytime soon. Suggest that you read more about the lights in the fairing, I've not seen another product in this form factor that produce this much light. With a couple of model 60s you are looking at 7200 lumens on high beam. PnP means a simple install.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #95
ABYSS
KTM

Thanks sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
May be available in a few months but not anytime soon. Suggest that you read more about the lights in the fairing, I've not seen another product in this form factor that produce this much light. With a couple of model 60s you are looking at 7200 lumens on high beam. PnP means a simple install.
Ok thanks for the response sir, I will go back to the original plan then its not that big of a deal. I just saw it and thought with a blank I could save a few hours.

7200 lumens is very impresive. The 2.4 AMPS per is good to. The thing for me is that the light pattern is a circle and two of them stacked just makes a laser beam. For the majority of the world that will be fantastic. I however am a bit more flood than distance minded and only want about 200-300 meters in front but I want at least 20 to 30 meters to each side. That is why I have gone down a different path.

The PNP feature is a great feature,

I wish you folks the best sir I am sure they will be snatched up. Harcus is a great guy and even though I am not aquaited with you if he hangs out with you you cant be all that bad.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #96
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
The thing for me is that the light pattern is a circle and two of them stacked just makes a laser beam.
That's one big laser

Quote:
I however am a bit more flood than distance minded and only want about 200-300 meters in front but I want at least 20 to 30 meters to each side.
You may want to read the datasheet on the cree xm-l t6 led. In particular, the spacial distribution graph on pg 7. The XML puts out 20% of it's output @ + 80degrees. If that isn't a flood, they don't exist!

I'm thinking our Model 60 has a wider pattern than you need, would be willing to setup a test if you want to specify the conditions.

Quote:
I wish you folks the best sir I am sure they will be snatched up. Harcus is a great guy and even though I am not aquaited with you if he hangs out with you you cant be all that bad.
Thanks, very much appreciated.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #97
ABYSS
KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
That's one big laser

You may want to read the datasheet on the cree xm-l t6 led. In particular, the spacial distribution graph on pg 7. The XML puts out 20% of it's output @ + 80degrees. If that isn't a flood, they don't exist!

I'm thinking our Model 60 has a wider pattern than you need, would be willing to setup a test if you want to specify the conditions.

Thanks, very much appreciated.
I'll send you a PM this afternoon
Old 03-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #98
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
Update

I have been working on developing the new headlight system with John at Advmonster. Here is proto no 2 with some small LED turn signals in test. New brackets in test are behind the mask. Seem to work well...

This is at an BLM area west of Salt Lake called Knolls. I'm out here because there is no snow. Not so closer to the mountains. Can you see Wendover? It's only 40 miles away...

The mask extends above the triple clamp about 8 inches. This is enough to provide good wind protection but not so much as to be in the way when riding off road terrain. This height seems to work well on the 990 Adv so I reasoned that it might work here as well. Turns out that, due to the aerodynamic difference of the two bikes, it seems to be better here. No noticeable buffeting...

I installed my 76 CX GPS on the "trampoline" shock mount to verify that it would fit well behind the mask. All is good...

There is plenty of sand at Knolls (it is the Great Salt Lake Desert) to practice your sand riding as well as the new Big Foot kick stand foot. We all know how well the stock KTM feet work in soft terrain. This is a "pull out the old & insert the new" item. Looks good so far...

So far, so good. Back to the shop....

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #99
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Who makes that faring?

A

What are you planning to put it on? Orange?

As Sanjoh said, It will be available. I am still "polishing" the rock.

Hang tite...

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #100
ABYSS
KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
A

What are you planning to put it on? Orange?

As Sanjoh said, It will be available. I am still "polishing" the rock.

Hang tite...
I have nothing but orange blood in my veins. I've got a just enough legal to be "street legal" 500 XCW. My plan is to only ever see pavement for food or gas.

I understand completely sir, keep up the great work.

ABYSS
Old 03-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #101
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer: 370
tank shrouds

Any concerns about the tank being damaged in get-offs? I dig the extra capacity, but do like the factory shrouds, and cant do with 2.5 gallons... Stuck in tank dreamland....

PDMC 38x
heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #102
reidinitaly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Any concerns about the tank being damaged in get-offs? I dig the extra capacity, but do like the factory shrouds, and cant do with 2.5 gallons... Stuck in tank dreamland....
Clockwork KTM has a 3.2 gallon that still uses the stock shrouds. I could easily get 100 miles with the bike desmogged and the jd tuner installed running a lot richer... They should be available in a week or two, the had to send them off to get remolded because the original design interfered with the thermostats. On that note, anyone heard that factory KTM has been removing the thermostats on their race bikes because it's been causing them to run hotter? Just a rumor I've heard and tht they are coming out with.a thermostat deletion kit...

Keep the Rubber Side Down
reidinitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #103
Tails
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Did the same thing to my XC-W 530. Turned it into a dual sport. I also fabed up a rack for Rotopax fuel and water jugs, and Kreiga soft luggage. Although not as nice looking as yours its super rugged. Biggest upgrade was the subframe. We box welded pretty much the entire thing, and gusseted everywhere we could. Rack is supported by the PMB rear rack. Its currently being powdercoated black.

Tails screwed with this post 03-19-2012 at 10:51 PM
Tails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #104
buelless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Really have enjoyed this thread, lots of great info.

One question i have that is slightly off topic but i would love to get input, is it easier to do routine maintenance on the 350 exc or the 500 exc?

My local dealer has a 350 but i am still trying to decide between it and the 500. Would really appreciate any feedback.
buelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #105
ABYSS
KTM

The 500''s are sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by buelless View Post
Really have enjoyed this thread, lots of great info.

One question i have that is slightly off topic but i would love to get input, is it easier to do routine maintenance on the 350 exc or the 500 exc?

My local dealer has a 350 but i am still trying to decide between it and the 500. Would really appreciate any feedback.
But depending on how much you weigh you can be just as happy with a 350.