Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #106
buelless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
But depending on how much you weigh you can be just as happy with a 350.
I ride a wr250r but that 350 blew my mind. It was hard to leave the dealer w/o that bike. Since then i came across this thread and the 500 peaked my interest. I know the 350 has dohc and i think the 500 has sohc so i was wondering how this affected maintenance since valve adjustment is one of the biggest maintenance items with these bikes.
buelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #107
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by buelless View Post
I ride a wr250r but that 350 blew my mind. It was hard to leave the dealer w/o that bike. Since then i came across this thread and the 500 peaked my interest. I know the 350 has dohc and i think the 500 has sohc so i was wondering how this affected maintenance since valve adjustment is one of the biggest maintenance items with these bikes.

Don't let that deter you. The Valve adjustments are very easy on the 500. I've checked my valves at 1hr; right in spec, and then at 30 hours (about 900 miles); still in the middle of specifications.

The 500, with it's street legal plates can get you to the trail, legally, and then handle anything you can throw at it.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #108
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,438
Did you use that time machine to go back and buy Microsoft stock in 1986?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
I purchased one of these critters from my local dealer here in Salt Lake in mid Oct 2012.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #109
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
I would stop at 1998 on the way and pick up some Apple stock also
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #110
buelless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Don't let that deter you. The Valve adjustments are very easy on the 500. I've checked my valves at 1hr; right in spec, and then at 30 hours (about 900 miles); still in the middle of specifications.

The 500, with it's street legal plates can get you to the trail, legally, and then handle anything you can throw at it.
Thanks for the feedback. Good to know the valves on the 500 are so easy to adjust. I notice that its head is modified to allow easy access. Does anybody know how this compares to the 350?

Don't won't to hijack this thread, just hoped someone may have experience with the 350 and post up. Thanks again...
buelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #111
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
I take it that you question their availability at that date?

No 2 in Utah at mid Oct....

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #112
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Valves stable so far. Time will tell.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #113
dirtbikeslob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
so i was wondering how this affected maintenance since valve adjustment is one of the biggest maintenance items with these bikes.[/QUOTE]
how so?
i would think rings/maybe piston will come before valves need looking at,unless you're not oiling the air filter.
my 07 excf 250 has about 180 hours,done a six day,lots of cross country races,mx,you name it and valves are still in spec,it's had a couple of sets of rings, the piston and pin are still in spec.bike is ridden hard but not abused.
i think some of you guys underestimate the durability of these bikes and i would think same goes for the 350-450 500.
sorry for the hijack
dirtbikeslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #114
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
I had a wr250x and bought it because at the time I wanted something reliable that I could just gas up and go and not worry about anything else. You can't beat 26,200 mile valve adjustments that the WRR(X) offers. I had it for one year and while it did everything I asked of it there was absolutely no grin factor for me. For the last 20 years I've raced motocross and need a bike that has roll on wheelie power. I don't want to yank on the bars or use the clutch I want to roll on the power and that front end come off the ground. That's the grin factor for me. After a year the WR is sold, the CRF 450R is sold and I'm planning on putting down the cash for a 2012 500 XCW that will be both bikes in one. Will it require more maintenance than the WR? Yes, but I'll be smiling the whole time I'm wrenching on it! Just my .02.
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #115
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
I purchased one of these critters from my local dealer here in Salt Lake in mid Oct 2012.

Quote:
I take it that you question their availability at that date?

No 2 in Utah at mid Oct....

October 2012 ??? I'll take that bet.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #116
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,319
I've about done what the thread states. It took 2 month and 25 hours on it's clock to finish. I did have the seat and skid when I took it up t o the mountains.
I can live with 100 or so mile range so no need for a big tank. But,,,,,,,,,, the rack is a slick piece. It could hold a fuel cell if needed. Right now I have a Dirt Bike Gear bag on it for all my chick stuff .
I like the EE risers. A must for any six footers.
I'll run a 606 on it when the stocker runs out. The front rocks off road and is liveable on the street. Been a real good replacement for my LC4. Real big sweet spot and that zip will stretch your arm .

Old 06-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #117
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Really have enjoyed this thread, lots of great info.

One question i have that is slightly off topic but i would love to get input, is it easier to do routine maintenance on the 350 exc or the 500 exc?

My local dealer has a 350 but i am still trying to decide between it and the 500. Would really appreciate any feedback.
I came here wondering about that comparison too. I am not sure what the service intervals are like on the two of them for a dual sport. Mostly I am not really anxious to have to carry oil with me to change it every other day or more... Does a oil cooler help with that at all? And do these bikes require premium fuel and exotic weights of oil?
Old 06-05-2012, 05:09 AM   #118
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
maintenance

I cannot attest to long term yet, but I changed the oil at 1 hour and 3 hours. Much less metal in second oil change. Coming up on 20 hours and I will do it again. After that, since I mostly commute on it, it will be around 20 hours, or 1500 miles. Headed to Ouray, CO for 4th of July week and plan on riding the Alpine Loop as well as some other challenging terrain. I will change the oil before and after that trip. Going forward I am just gonna asses how hard the motor was used. It's all about what the motor, and therefore, the oil has been through. These are wet clutch, so the oil lubricates the engine and tranny and clutch. With a capacity of 1.5 liters if you keep the revs high and get into some nasty stuff that keeps the engine temp high, change the oil more frequently.
So far during my commute, the fan doesn't come on, so I don't think it is being worked too hard. As far as exotic oil goes. I have been told that Mobil 1 motorcycle specific oil is good to go and can be found at Autozone. Also heard that Rotella T diesel oil is good. I still have the last bit of Motorex that I bought with the bike and will most likely switch to Mobil 1 at 20 hours.
Oil cooler will help in two ways. Keep oil cooler of course, but also increase the capacity. Which is the main reason for frequent oil changes anyway.
Just my .02 anyway.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #119
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
my oil .02 cents

I completely understand eveyrones concern and wanting to keep there bikes in tip top shape, and believe me when I tell you that no one is more redundant than I when it comes to maintenance. I would like to submit this for food for thought on the subject.

As we all know Oils main challange is the heat. Oil coolers are a fantastic add but I havent seen any for our new bikes yet. I have spoke to HT racing several times but they still have nothing. as far as others I havent seen any. I think a big challange is going to be where they tap in the system.

Until then remember this Modern Synthetics "Not DINO" are made to withstand far more punishment for longer periods of time. Though our KTM engines are mighty the are small compared to a small block Chevy or Ford's that with some oils now boast of 7k between oil changes.

Me perosnally I dont do long trips any more but I still would bet that our bikes would be just fine putting on 1500 or 2000 miles between changes if on a extended trip. Even though these engines get just as hot think about it like this- a 350 small block chevy is 5735.5 CC's that is 1147CC for every quart of oil at 5 quarts. That is over double the amount of heat Just on the CC displacement alone that doesnt take in to effect the other heat generating factors which makes the BTU's even higher. Alot of the older cars didnt run oil coolers. So when you think about it in heat transfer wise we are applying less than half the BTU's that a auto is to basically the same oil compound.

the biggets thing we cna do is keep up the flow rate. While I know I am opening a can of worms with what I am about to say I am going to say it anyways. Paper versus Stainless Steel filters, there I said it and hey I didnt explode.

My stand point is "Stainless" becasue of my 14 Years as a heavy aircraft mechanic. Hands down paper has much more risk than stainless.

Let the can of worms spill over now!
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #120
5hunge
Banned

Oddometer: 111
Thanks Abyss,
Any part number for the stainless filter?
5hunge is offline   Reply With Quote