ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #181
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,715
Dear E-470...

Dear E-470,

I have been using the E-Z Pass electronic toll collection system in the northeast United States for over a decade. In all those years I have had access to substantial and well-deserved discounts for my motorcycles, both when paying in cash and when using the transponders.

Any technical or administrative hurdles to discounting tolls for motorcycles with electronic toll collection were easily overcome by other agencies long before Colorado even considered implementing this technology on E-470. I am surprised that your executives didn't learn more about this during their junkets, er, I mean conferences.

So please explain to me what is the impediment to treating motorcyclists fairly, really?
Old 05-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #182
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
Dear E-470,

I have been using the E-Z Pass electronic toll collection system in the northeast United States for over a decade. In all those years I have had access to substantial and well-deserved discounts for my motorcycles, both when paying in cash and when using the transponders.

Any technical or administrative hurdles to discounting tolls for motorcycles with electronic toll collection were easily overcome by other agencies long before Colorado even considered implementing this technology on E-470. I am surprised that your executives didn't learn more about this during their junkets, er, I mean conferences.

So please explain to me what is the impediment to treating motorcyclists fairly, really?
Greed?
Old 05-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #183
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
Greed?
Just Google up the Port Authority (NJ/NY) if you want to see an example of the kind of corruption this can lead to.

But I'd really like to hear from Jake. Why is it that the nation's most expensive toll highway (per mile) can't adopt technology and/or procedures that would allow the owners of light-weight, low-wear vehicles such as motorcycles to be charged fair and appropriate discounts.

EDIT: Seems that electronic toll collection predates the E-Z Pass system. Still having a tough time swallowing a lack of evolution over two decades...

The history of Ontario's Highway 407 also makes an interesting read.

Rectaltronics screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 02:06 PM
Rectaltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #184
Lovin' it Strom
Now low fat!

Oddometer: 2,477
They're all a scam. I paid a toll last year and they still handed it off to a collection agency after tacking on almost $200 for late fees and admin fees. I mailed the collection agency a copy of the cancelled check and they went away. A different agency started sending me notices and I repeated the procedure. Now they claim, well these fees were from a different road. Huh? I sent them back a nice letter explaining it had been paid, check was cashed, too bad. Stop harassing me.

I received another bill for a car I sold last year. The scrap yard I sold the car to never re-registered the car or filed the title with the state. Do I have proof of sale? Do you see that damn thing in my driveway anymore? Yuck Fou.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #185
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,095
Tolls a goin' up. Hmm, didn't they say removing the toll booths would make the operation MORE efficient? Does the debt load change on bonds? Is the rate variable?
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...-go-up-january

Quote:
On Mainline Toll Plaza A between Peoria Street and Chambers Road in Douglas County the license plate toll will be $2.95, a 15 cent increase; EXpressToll customers will pay $2.35, a 10 cent hike.
For the remaining four mainline toll plazas B through E license plate toll customers will pay $3.25, or 10 cents more over this year's rate. EXpressToll drivers will pay $2.60, a 10 cents increase.

Read more: E-470 tolls go up in January - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...#ixzz2BlkNHiq6
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Old 11-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #186
beernutt
This space for rent

Oddometer: 298
Using this road is voluntary, right?

Just checking.
beernutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #187
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,302
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but E470 is a fine example of why toll roads suck balls. While I may not support many of the .gov programs we are forced to pay for, I do believe public roadways are one thing big brother needs to manage. I do wonder though how a GPS tracking system would play out....where they charge everyone for every mile driven based on the size and weight of the vehicle. Surely the black helicopter types will have none of it.

In the present day, E470 doesn't even exist as far as I'm concerned. We pay plenty in road taxes and fees as it is.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #188
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by beernutt View Post
Using this road is voluntary, right?

Just checking.
But getting to the airport from the north side of town efficiently is often necessary. Unfortunately the existence of E470 precludes the existence of the proper public roadway that should go through that corridor.

It's a scam. It always will be. The ridiculous way it's allowed to be managed ensures that it will never, ever pay off the bonds and convert to a proper public road.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #189
beernutt
This space for rent

I live in Boulder, and work at the airport so I'm guessing I drive there more often than you do. I don't find using the tollway 'necessary'. It's a charge for convenience.

Use it. Or don't. But don't consider it a necessity. Vote with your feet, or in this case your toll dollars.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #190
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by beernutt View Post
I live in Boulder, and work at the airport so I'm guessing I drive there more often than you do. I don't find using the tollway 'necessary'. It's a charge for convenience.

Use it. Or don't. But don't consider it a necessity. Vote with your feet, or in this case your toll dollars.
Your logic is impinging upon my sense of entitlement. Stop.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #191
beernutt
This space for rent

Like.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #192
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,815
As if all this was not enough the E-470 Corporation now feels entitled to raise the already extremely expensive tolls even more:

E470 Raising its Tolls
Old 12-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #193
wzd1a
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
Toll road users are by their very ability to pay for the roads convienence - "the rich". At least 50% of the people in this country expect "the rich" to pay more for all things and provide for their every need (or whim) for free. That costs money. Lots of whining here. Take a different road.
wzd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #194
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by wzd1a View Post
Toll road users are by their very ability to pay for the roads convienence - "the rich". At least 50% of the people in this country expect "the rich" to pay more for all things and provide for their every need (or whim) for free. That costs money. Lots of whining here. Take a different road.
The thing is depending where you live there is not really many options. Me coming up from Springs 470 is the first choice. The other option is 25 to 225 to 70 to Pena, then you get into the whole unknown because those roads can not support the traffic and there should be other routes to an airport that are public besides surface streets.

It does seem E470 has a monopoly for some of us. My friend that lives at 25 & Evans takes a few different ways to the airport usually avoiding 225...but he lives down there and knows the surface streets and traffic patterns. I don't.

As I posted a long time ago in this thread E470 is a scam, its a pretty high toll per mile vs other roadways in this nation (Probably one of the highest toll roads too). Go to the East Coast yeah people bitch there about tolls but the toll is much more reasonable say on the PA Turnpike.

Oh, and my friend that live sin Denver, he has never needed to touch E470. It doe snot go anywhere he needs to go from Evans & I-25.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #195
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
As I posted a long time ago in this thread E470 is a scam, its a pretty high toll per mile vs other roadways in this nation (Probably one of the highest toll roads too).
It's the highest cost toll road in the U.S. - averaging 33 cents a mile, and that is before the Jan 1, 2013 increases. (Wikipedia)

It's also not a scam.... overpriced - yes.... scam - no.

Get a window sticker and save a few bucks if you use it much, or continue to piss and moan....they don't much care.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote