ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2011, 05:22 AM   #61
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
The part that concerns me is they have enough cash for a dedicated person to patrol around the webs and do PR. PR for a fvcking road? Seriously?
E-470 joined Dec 2011 and has 4 posts....what makes you think it's not a regular inmate who happens to work there, and created a new ID to answer a few questions that were raised in this thread.

He wasn't spamming E-470, he was trying to put a few answers and facts out there and gets dogpiled.
Man...what a bunch of conspiracy theorists we have here.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #62
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

20 bucks says it's Gibson

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #63
TimothyCaseTimothy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
Actually, because of the high rates and sleezy collection process, they DON'T have enough cash; he's trying to drum up business.
On a $29 letter from an attorney in TX for a $12 toll, what is the rate of return?
TimothyCaseTimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #64
AdvRonski OP
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 688
The entertainment value of this thread has been more than worth the $29. Thanks, Guys!
Well, after all, this was a small irritation at the end of an epic adventure.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #65
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
E-470 joined Dec 2011 and has 4 posts....what makes you think it's not a regular inmate who happens to work there, and created a new ID to answer a few questions that were raised in this thread.

He wasn't spamming E-470, he was trying to put a few answers and facts out there and gets dogpiled.
No big conspiracy, and I never said anything about spamming.. a lot of companies subscribe to web monitoring services. Obviously they pay attention to this stuff considering they pay Jake to "monitor their twitter handle and facebook page". I still find it ridiculous they have someone doing active PR and marketing for a road.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #66
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
Forgot something about E470 that I should have remembered. I was driving back from Franktown to the north side where I live last Sunday night in the snow. I took Parker to E470 and drove that until I70, which is where I usually get off these days when making this trip because of the rate hikes (I used to drive E470 up to 104th or 120th.).

Immediately upon exiting E470 onto I70, I noticed a drastic change in the road conditions due to the snow. Apparently the E470 folks have the money to burn putting down the de-icing mix. And let me tell you it makes a difference.

So combine the snow covered road conditions on I70 along with the yahoos trying to get home from Pena/Airport traffic................I should have stayed on E470 and payed the extra fees. Would have gotten home sooner and probably had less worry about the idiot who isn't using the 2 second rule while sniffing my tail.
Get your plate full off mud or snow then it be free too....LOL not your fault weather conditions...LOL
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #67
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
More than the statute of limitations ago, I rode photo-toll roads in Texas every day but somehow I never received any toll bills in the mail... I guess their cameras weren't aimed correctly?

No reason to do a wheelie...LOL

Old 12-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #68
E-470
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42 View Post
What happens if I take a rental car from DIA to northern Colorado using E-470? Who gets billed and how?
Rental cars follow the same rules for other drivers: we charge the owner of the vehicle. Most rental companies have EXpressToll accounts setup with us already, so we just charge them the discounted toll. Typically, a third party the rental company hires will locate the renter and charge them the toll plus a small admin fee (usually something like $2.50). This is the case for all of the large rental companies, but make sure to ask the rental agency's reps on their specific procedures, because it's ultimately up to them how they will handle the transactions. Renters can also call us ahead of time and give us the rental vehicle's plate number and we can arrange for them, the car renter, to pay for the tolls directly to avoid these admin fees the rental companies assess.
Quote:
I-70 in eastern Kansas turns into a toll road. I can go about 30 miles and the toll is a $1.75. When E-470 had maned toll booths I think I paid what, $2.00 at each booth? How far apart were the booths, 5 miles? The last time I was on E-470 with the camera system I think I passed one both (I went about 8 miles). I got a bill in the mail for almost $12.00. If it's going to cost that much to maintain the camera system I would rather they put people back in the booths so that my money helps out folks instead of feeding a "political subdivision" (is that term you used E-470?).
It’s difficult to compare financing from one road to the next. Road financing is complicated. I-70 for instance was at least partially funded by federal fuel taxes being part of the interstate system. E-470 receives no tax money. All of the construction for E-470 was funded by bonds, and the revenue we take in goes towards paying off those bonds and ongoing maintenance. Also, all of the toll attendants who were affected by our cashless transition were given the opportunity to apply for other jobs within our establishment. If they did not find an opportunity here within our establishment that suited them, they were offered outplacement services provided by us and given severance packages or retired.

Quote:
The interesting thing is that a Portugese/Brazilian partnership bought the road in 2008 and they paid 90x revenue. That's a HUGE price, built on the assumption of future growth. The deal was structured as a long-term lease.
That’s Northwest Parkway. Aside from being part of the same beltway (split by I-25) they operate independently from us.
Quote:
When I lived in Aurora I paid $10 per year per vehicle registration to the County for E-470. Has this fee been retired by the Counties/Cities who are the E-470 Authority's voting members? Maybe someone can check their registration.
That’s a registration fee, not a tax. This is similar to the RTD registration fees. Even if a customer does not use E-470 or RTD, they still receive the benefit of infrastructure. The most obvious benefit being reduced traffic congestion. E-470’s primary source of revenue is from tolls only account for approximately 85% of our annual revenue stream. The eight member jurisdictions continue to collect this fee.
Quote:
The system works well enough that they don't need you to set up an account so now everyone on the road is charged without stopping (except at some of the exits.)
E-470 is in fact 100% cashless. EXpressToll (transponder) transactions accounted for roughly 85% of our daily transactions.
Quote:
Actually, because of the high rates and sleezy collection process, they DON'T have enough cash; he's trying to drum up business.
You might be interested to know that 99.98% of our transactions are paid on time without additional charges. And my duty here is to only educate and answer questions. E-470 is a government subdivision of the state and a not-for-profit agency.

If any of you are interested in having more questions answered or further discussion, please continue chatting here. I’ll be happy to oblige!

In full disclosure, I'm not a normal member of your community. I discovered the forum post because of some helpful free tools offered by a large search engine (which I'll refrain from promoting)! We here at E-470 think it's important to listen and get involved with the community in new ways.

Jake
E-470 Public Highway Authority

E-470 screwed with this post 12-14-2011 at 04:36 PM Reason: just added my sig
E-470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #69
Raul Duke
DROC

Oddometer: 1,774
Hey Ron, those bastards did the same thing to me the first week they went to the camera system. No first bill, just a collection bill.

I paid it, but now I have the right to say...

F#CK E-470!

(The road, not the E-470 Jake posting here. I'm sure Jake is a nice guy.)
COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #70
=o&o>
I like to ==o&o>

Oddometer: 153
Bluhduh

And despite how perfect E-470 claims their ExpressToll system is, my son recently received a small toll invoice for his truck. The date and time of the alleged road use was during a week his truck never even moved (parked in front of my house). It was only $2.00, so he paid it without challenging it. No photo or link to see the photo of whose license plate they misread as his... Just a minor fraud on their part. They only have to get everyone once...

ADDED:
Jake verified that their invoice was in error, and initiated corrective action.

But, it still puts the burden on the accused to check the accuracy of the invoice and contact the agency to correct their mistakes. I see several photo-radar or photo-red-light invoices per month at one of my jobs, and feel E-470 should put the photo or a link on the invoice.

=o&o> screwed with this post 12-15-2011 at 10:35 AM
=o&o> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #71
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-470 View Post
Also, all of the toll attendants who were affected by our cashless transition were given the opportunity to apply for other jobs within our establishment. If they did not find an opportunity here within our establishment that suited them, they were offered outplacement services provided by us and given severance packages or retired.
This sounds familiar, like most of the tech companies that sent a lot of US jobs over seas. The folks that got "down sized" could apply for other jobs inside the company, but any job openings were over seas meaning there were no US jobs. They were also offered outplacement service but that doesn't help much when there are no jobs. That severance pay doesn't last long when there doesn't seem to be any jobs available.

So did the cost for the tolls go up once all these folks were let go (maybe to pay severance)? Maybe I don't remember to clear as I don't drive it very often. But it does seem that it went up more than what I would consider the normal cost of doing business.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #72
E-470
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by =o&o> View Post
And despite how perfect E-470 claims their ExpressToll system is, my son recently received a small toll invoice for his truck. The date and time of the alleged road use was during a week his truck never even moved (parked in front of my house). It was only $2.00, so he paid it without challenging it. No photo or link to see the photo of whose license plate they misread as his... Just a minor fraud on their part. They only have to get everyone once...
This happens occasionally. Most of our transactions are processed by OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software and some are done by hand, so there's a small degree of error, but your son can call us and get a refund for any tolls that were paid in error. Sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
This sounds familiar, like most of the tech companies that sent a lot of US jobs over seas. The folks that got "down sized" could apply for other jobs inside the company, but any job openings were over seas meaning there were no US jobs. They were also offered outplacement service but that doesn't help much when there are no jobs. That severance pay doesn't last long when there doesn't seem to be any jobs available.

So did the cost for the tolls go up once all these folks were let go (maybe to pay severance)? Maybe I don't remember to clear as I don't drive it very often. But it does seem that it went up more than what I would consider the normal cost of doing business.
E-470 doesn't outsource any jobs. Our entire work force, including me, lives in the metro area. Most of the staffing during the transition was done by temp agencies because most of the friendly faces you were used to seeing in the booths during the day decided to move into our customer service or image processing departments.

Tolls go up based on our bonds. Simply put, we're contractually bound to do so. There's a set schedule for tolls to go up annually to meet rising bond payments and rising maintenance costs and changes in our policies or internal procedures don't affect toll prices. E-470 is a not-for-profit agency and all revenue collected goes towards the bonds, maintenance, and operation of the road.

Jake
E-470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #73
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,837
Quote:
In full disclosure, I'm not a normal member of your community.
Jake

With that information in mind, I thank you for having kept your answers factual and without injecting your opinions. Makes the good news better and the bad news easier to accept. Thanks.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #74
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by =o&o> View Post
I'll have to back E-470 here. Your son should have called Expresstoll I had to call them a few times and they were always friendly and easy to deal with. Seemed pretty laid back. They would just re-look at the photo...mistakes happen. and your talking $2 they probably would just remove it (cost someone more then $2 to re look at it and research it out).

I know my bro got a bill/parking ticket from Detroit...amazing thing is he had already moved to CO and even when they live din MI they lived up north to the West and NEVER went to Detroit. He called, they said they research it and he said well I 1) don't live in MI 2) Could not be me even when I did...they never heard anything after that. But yeah mis-takes happen...a call typically resolves the issue.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #75
modette
RMAR

Quote:
In full disclosure, I'm not a normal member of your community. I discovered the forum post because of some helpful free tools offered by a large search engine (which I'll refrain from promoting)! We here at E-470 think it's important to listen and get involved with the community in new ways.

Jake
Being Colorado, Do you ride? Do you have an ATV? Do you 4-wheel? Do you Hike, or Horseback ride?

Because we here typically like the outdoors, so you might share more then you think with us.