ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Sanders OP
Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer: 662
BLM, or Forestry campgrounds in Idaho-Questions

Hey can anyone point me to a resource that lists BLM, or Forestry campgrounds in Idaho that are free. The kind you can just pull up and stay for a few days, no fee's, no amenities, where we can rough it for a few days of off road riding? I know there's some up around the Stanley area and some East of Boise along the Salmon, or is it the Little Salmon? I marked some on a map 2 years ago when I came through but so far I can't locate the darn thing.
I've looked on the government sites but so far the only State that actually provides a map with areas and key is Colorado. The rest of the states (even mine) are not very user friendly...
We like to rough it for a bunch of days and then go stay somewhere where we can clean our scuzzy selfs up and then do it again. This time we have a month to do it.
YEAH!

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,793
Don't know about BLM lands, but I know you can legally camp in National Forests as long as there is not a "No Camping" sign. There's lots of National Forests up that way, stay north of the snake river basin and there's lots of National Forests (Boise, Sawtooth, Payette, Salmon etc).

Nowdays when I see "National Forests" I think...ohhh....camping.

Just be sure to LEAVE NO TRACE!

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
andrew.pdx
Thump

Oddometer: 29
Currently: Smokin Stanley

The HUGE Salmon-Challis NF has its entire atlas on line as PDFs (a copy currently resides on my thumb drive). For other forests try drilling down to the Ranger District level before trying to find CG info. BLM site is a bit tougher but the info is there. I bought the Benchmark Idaho Atlas and selective forest maps (on line in advance).

With respect to C.G.s... The BLM ones tend to be sucko and in hottest driest places (think ugly). The Nat For ones are often free and have better stuff than in the Ore/Wash region. When you do pay it is less expensive and better facilities than in Ore/Wash. Most C.G.s off the main roads are freebeies. They may even have water but not always. So many to pick from I'd just go on faith... Lots of nice wide spots in the road and short spurs too.

Here is a link that may be of use
http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/
and http://www.nifc.gov/

It is both high fire season and high construction season.

I was in area N and E of Stanley maybe a week ago and was seriously smoked out by a major fire N of Stanley. Pinyon Peaks / Twin Peaks L.O. loop & Custer Motorway were unusable. (One closed by order, the other was physically intolerable). VERY DISSA{PPOINTING! Call ahead and be sure the area you want to go to is usable. Small town general store phone numbers are on the internet and can be a good source of more subjective conditions (can I do 20 pushups before I die of emphasiema)

Also, Warren Wagon Road at Warren Summit (just beyond the non-burg of Warren) had a construction closure. Those are listed on the Nat For web sites. (on the right side of the forests home page). The main stem of Salmon River road, N. of Burgdorf is open during the day and piloted every two hours from 10PM until 4 or 6 PM.
andrew.pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
andrew.pdx
Thump

Oddometer: 29
I almost forgot..

Be sure to check on campfire restrictions where you are going. maybe consider not building one? Roasted marshmallows just make ya fat anyway
andrew.pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,670
Try this.

http://www.uscampgrounds.info/
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:24 AM   #6
Sanders OP

Thanks to all that replied. Great info you've provided!
I know about fires, we rarely have one, and won't ever if restrictions are in place

Jeff

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history
Old 08-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #7
Factory Phil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
You will also need to carry a shovel, and a hatchet with you. You are supped to also have a bucket, but your helmet will cover that.

Have fun.
Factory Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
Sanders OP

Always have the shovel.Very handy and easy to carry now that Mrs. Sanders is on a 4-wheeler.